Grenfell and the media.

I'm sticking my head above the parapet here..I'd like to ask if anyone else on here thinks that the media have gone totally overboard with their coverage of the Grenfell fire? There is yet another March in London again today, which will be extensively covered. Is there a danger that the public will become totally fed up of constant references to it and begin to think 'oh no...not Grenfell again'. I do wonder if political correctness has taken over.

On Thursday, there were endless TV and radio stations in London covering the memorials. I actually heard James O'Brien on LBC say that the Grenfell fire was ' The greatest peacetime tragedy to befall these islands since the 2nd world war, since the Blitz'. I would urge him to do some research before opening his sanctimonious PC mouth. Has he not heard of Aberfan, 1966 ..116 little children and 28 adults dead? Zeebrugge..1987..193 dead. Bethnal Green tube station..1943.173 dead.Piper Alpha..1988..167 dead. Stockport 1967..Hillsborough..the list goes on. 

Grenfell was a tragedy, and heads should certainly roll, and no doubt we will hear endless reports about that. 

Apologies for the rant, but my BP has been up ever since I heard O'Brien say that. I listen to LBC a lot, but I usually switch him off as soon as he opens his mouth...but I was just a little too slow on this occasion.

There....you can shoot me now!

Message 1 of 44
See Most Recent
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Grenfell and the media.

They confirm what I posted.

According to that link the population of London in 1939 was 8,615,245 - in 2016 it was 8,787,892

From the end of the World War II until the 1980s, London saw its population gradually decline, as the city lost its status as the hub of Empire and one of the world's greatest trading cities. By the time the 1981 census was taken, the number of people living in London had fallen to just 6,607,513, a decline of more than two million, or around 25%, in just four decades.

However, a population boom in the 1980s occurred, and increasing prosperity combined with increased immigration has once again resulted in an increase in population. Just 20 years later, the population had increased to 7,172,036 at the time of the 2001 census, and further increases are expected to push the population past 9 million by 2021

https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/data/londons-population-over-time/

Message 42 of 44
See Most Recent

Grenfell Tower is in Inner London Which even by 2021 is projected to have a population 25% lower than it was in the ‘30s. 

Kensington and Chelsea are one of the richest boroughs in the country with one of the lowest levels of both actual and projected population growths - if they are unable to find the resources to rehouse those made homeless by the Grenfell Tower fire then there is something fundamentally wrong with the way in which the borough is run.

Message 43 of 44
See Most Recent

There are in excess of 300 properties currently listed on Airbnb in Kensington and Chelsea that’s just one agency!
Message 44 of 44
See Most Recent