English for speakers of other languages

ESOL courses are available throughout the UK, it is refreshing to see so many taking advantage, learning the language and integrating productively into society. 

There are also English lessons available for native speakers who struggle with the breadth of their English often causing them to use inappropriate nouns (Too strong or defamatory) and creating a tense atmosphere. 

Even older people like myself are able to learn something new despite the adage about old dogs and new tricks, only this weekend I improved my maths with help from others. And it was free 🙂

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Nuffink rong wiv my inglish............Innit !!

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some foreigners speak and write it better than the natives. Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Mon Dieu.......you cannot be speaking about Moi !

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nee, ik heb het niet over jou. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Who're you talking about then? wave2

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lijkt me nogal duidelijk. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

No it's not. rant

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Ik begrijp het niet

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ik heb het over mijzelf. Smiley LOL Mij, Moi, Me, Mi, Mich.

I remember being on a course where I met a supply teacher for primary school children. Her written English was pretty bad. When I told her I would not like her to teach my children she was a bit offended. She said it was more important that children felt loved and understood. And although that is indeed important, I told her I was sending my children to school to learn to read and write, not to be hugged by the teacher.

She was a lovely person though. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Maybe a bit controversial but can anyone explain to me why, here in England, all official documents are available in over 30 different languages?

I thought the language of England was English!

Maybe if people had to learn English to be able to claim benefits, get a job, buy or rent a house etc. we would have more integration and less secularisation.

Maybe our children's education would improve?  After all, if a teacher has to only work in one language (English) maybe they would have more time to teach?

Just a thought.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

I should imagine it uses up a lot more Trees as well, at a time in history when the UK ( among others ) are winging at countries like Brazil, for their deforestation activities, we chuck out junk mail / paper like there's no tomorrow..............Sighhhhh !!!

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent