Driving-licence-changes

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 1 of 30
See Most Recent
29 REPLIES 29

Driving-licence-changes

Updates and advice to motorists on abolition of the counterpart to the photocard driving licence. Driving licence photocard and counterpart From 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence will not be valid and will no longer be issued by DVLA. The counterpart was introduced to display driving licence details that could not be included on the photocard. These details include some vehicle categories you are entitled to drive and any endorsement/penalty points. View our infographic for information about the driving licence changes. Please note, this does not affect photocard licences issued by DVA in Northern Ireland.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 2 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

Useful information, thanks for posting. Seems a bit of a backward step to me doing away with the paper counterpart. For anybody wanting to hire a car to somebody, the counterpart let them see at a glance any endorsements that a driver had beforehand. Now they will have to go through an online rigmarole to get the same info that was already freely and readily available as a hard copy, that hardly seems like progress. Smiley Frustrated 

Message 3 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

Thing is, out of all the drivers with a licence, what percentage actually want to hire a car?

Also, criminals often hire a car to go on thieving missions (like burglary and stealing other cars) and it's going to be more difficult for them to do that.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

Firstly loads of people now hire cars because an if and when use is cheaper than all year coffing up.....and visitors (like in the states) always hire cars ...so lots with d licence hire cars

second ...?? who in gods name bar the worlds daftest crook hires a car (all info needed) then robs a bank in it ,I mean come on ,talk some sense ''.ello ello ello ,whats all this easy peasy police work these days'' lol

Buy a banger off gumtree dont register it in your name and rob till your pink in the face seems a better plan to stay out of nick a week longer...no superdooper special check ups paper or pc or otherwise buying off gumtree is there .

unless you mean it's easy to forge a bit of paper and not a data base ? which is of course a point 🙂

Message 5 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

I think you've been asked before to back up your claims with some "evidence"? Do so about car hire?

You're obviously not aware that some criminals hire a car to avoid their own number being picked up by ANPR (either fixed or in a cop car) then cruise around looking for a likely target either a high value car or a prosperous looking house? Their companion(s) then either robs the house, steals the car or often both.

They can't use an untaxed and ininsured car as they're quickly picked up by ANPR.

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

I've still got my old paper licence which remains valid under the new changes with no need to apply for a photo licence.

Message 7 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

You'll have to change it when you get to 70?

Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

Cannot imagine many criminals would hire a car for to commit a crime.more likely as has been said buy a one off gumtree and clone the numberplate with a legit car,or steal one and clone the number plate therby avoing any chance of being detected by an anpr camera

We are many,They are few
Message 9 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

I'm not talking about a local crim with a long record of petty offences, I'm talking about "serious" criminals who're looking for high value targets of prosperous houses and top end cars. Three or four blokes in the car, the driver just drives, the others "do the business" and drive cars away, back to where the group started from.

They enter a house, often with the occupants still asleep, find the car keys in the hall, find anything of value then drive the car away. The car either goes in a container and shipped "abroad" or is dismantled for parts.

Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

Got another  years 🙂

Message 11 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

How many, come on, spill Smiley Happy

Live long and prosper.

Message 12 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

Some evidence 🙂

http://www.euromonitor.com/car-rental-in-the-united-kingdom/report

In many urban, densely-populated areas, owning one or more cars is increasingly impractical, as the associated costs of maintaining, insuring, and refuelling the car are rather high in the UK. In addition, there is plenty of public transport provision and public cycling schemes which allow people to move around. In London for example, car ownership has fallen from 0.78 cars per household in 2008/09 to 0.76 cars in 2009/10, compared to 1.21 per household in the same year according to London Transport Data. This trend continued in the latter years of the review period. As this trend continues, there is a new generation of non-car owning drivers and households who are opting to rent cars for occasional use in favour of swallowing the costs of car-ownership.

Message 13 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

now your turn cd 

where are the ''I hire cars to go on the blag wiv me mates''  statistics

Message 14 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

@cee-dee wrote:

Thing is, out of all the drivers with a licence, what percentage actually want to hire a car?

I think you've been asked before to back up your claims with some "evidence"? Do so about car hire?

How many, come on, spill 

You are hard on some posters, and do you always provide evidence for your 'statements' ?  Smiley Frustrated 

THOUSANDS of people hire cars, both here and when they are abroad.

The new system has caused chaos already, with thousands of people not being able to get online for a code, and with the code only being valid for 72 hours.   It may be a smallish percentage (or maybe it's not - people might hire a car or van at some point in a year for lots of reasons), but it's still 1000s of motorists on holiday abroad  or hiring here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11659674/DVLA-website-crashes-on-launch-day-leaving-motorists...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32916968

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jun/09/dvla-under-fire-driving-licence-changes-car-hire-queues

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dvlas-new-carhire-and-license-rules-continues-to-caus...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3115337/DVLA-website-crashes-day-rule-change-require...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3116663/Now-drivers-told-ignore-DVLA-advice-scrap-paper-driv...

Expect more chaos from the DVLA website  in the school holidays

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 15 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

fank you suzie 🙂

some more evidence....

9. Nexus Turnover: £32.9m (+71%) Pre-tax profits: £4.2m (+102%) Sector: Transport Based: Leeds Neil McCrossan is steeped in the transport sector. Over three decades he’s done it all, from being a driver at Swan National to vice- president of sales and marketing at National Car Rental. He always wanted to run his own business, though, and achieved this goal in 2008 via the management buy-out/buy-in of short-term vehicle rental company Nexus. Since the £11 million deal (backed by private equity firm Isis), McCrossan has made two successful bolt-on acquisitions and continued to grow sales. The acquisition of FMG Support transformed the scale of Nexus and it ‘burst through the glass ceiling’, hoisting profits from £1.2 million to £2 million. 

Message 16 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

drums fingers and whistles 🙂

Message 17 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

What will happen is that in the aftermath of this well thought through change a plan will be put forward to further modify the card to make fraud more difficult and the jolly old public will be asked to go along with this and agree to update their card every 3-5 years, yet another indirect tax on every driver. Next up refresher training every 3 years.

Message 18 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

What was the point of that? It's an advert for a report for which they're asking £625. It looks more like something to encourage investment in car rental/leasing.

On the face of it, looking at the available part, there's no reference to how that supposed information was obtained and how many people were "surveyed" to produce those figures.

As to the links about the DVLA website crashing, that's the "faullt" of the DVLA rushing things before adequate information was released in good time for people to cotton on to the new system and also not having sufficient capacity and anticipating high demand when something new is announced. None of that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea in the long term.

Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 30
See Most Recent

Driving-licence-changes

@cee-dee wrote:
As to the links about the DVLA website crashing, that's the "faullt" of the DVLA rushing things before adequate information was released in good time for people to cotton on to the new system and also not having sufficient capacity and anticipating high demand when something new is announced. None of that doesn't mean it isn't a good idea in the long term.

You have jumped the gun.  I did not say it was not a good idea in the long term, and I don't think anyone else did.

Yes of course the chaos is the DVLA's fault,  releasing it too soon perhaps.

I posted those links in defence of Joamur to show that clearly 1000s of people hire cars both at home and when on holiday abroad, that's all. 

You now mention 'high demand' yourself.  If car hire at home and abroad was insignificant what would be the high demand?  The code is only valid for 3 days so I assume that requests for one are needed now or within the next 3 days. 

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 20 of 30
See Most Recent