Can anyone help steer me in the right direction

to find out something about this ? It was described to me as an oriental soapstone figurine

WIN_20181021_21_35_34_Pro.jpgWIN_20181021_21_35_49_Pro.jpgWIN_20181021_21_36_33_Pro.jpgWIN_20181021_21_36_42_Pro.jpgI

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

I'm no expert, but it looks rather crudely done, which can be an indication of lesser value.   The backwards "HISLOP" on the bottom is a Scottish surname... possibly the maker?  There used to be a pretty active board on eBay US that deals with antiques and art, you might check with them.  If the letters on the bottom are raised, it might be a stone version of a rubber stamp, since the letters are backwards, but this is pure guesswork on my part.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Or perhaps a stamp for use with sealing wax, if it is small. There is nothing in the photo to indicate scale.
I have something similar that was given to my father when he worked in the Far East.
If you ask anywhere else I think it would be useful to give its dimensions.
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

bidicus, I know Hislop is a Scottish name being a Scot myself, it can also be spelt Hyslop. That was one reason I came onto the board to ask as it seems odd having a backwards Scottish name carved into the underneath.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Suzie, it is approx 8 cms in height with the oblong base measuring 4.75 cms x 2.75 cms with everything carved into the base.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

If you Google carved soapstone seal and look at images you will see various Chinese seals, some with smaller square bases, but there are some with rectangular bases. So my guess is that it is a large carved seal. Nice carving work too.
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent