Are you offended by your Local Hostelry?

The Link tells all

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-oldest-pub-ye-olde-572709

I suppose it had to happen not only are pubs closing at an unprecedented rate what's left are coming under attack because of their name. I cannot help thinking that there are a group of anoraks desperately seeking to find something which they claim offends them. 

So for some of the following it might be appropriate to call time:

The Blind Beggar

Poosie Nansie's

The Legend of Oily Johnnies

Bull and Bladder

Donkey on Fire

The Bofors Gun and Giblets

The Ramadan Inn

Followthrough's

The Ugly Bstrd

The Gay Gordons

The Bottle of Wee in the car park.

Feel free to add your own to the endangered list.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

The link is not working for me.  Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-oldest-pub-ye-olde-5727096

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

The only pub that offends me is the free bar called westminster house of parliment

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

The idea of changing the name sounds a little bit crazy to me. It's not as if they are condoning the sport, it's just a reflection of the history of the times when the pub was so named. I think animal rights activists would be better employed by sticking to what they're best at, i.e. campaigning against the barbaric  methods used in factory farming chickens and other livestock.  

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Bit of deja vu for me,the street i was born on in Byker had a bar at the bottom of the street called The Fighting C***s !

A little while ago it was bought by an architect i think,and was featured on Grand Designs as his office,it had great views over the Tyne bridges,it was the first place around to get a colour telly,all of us kids used to climb onto a stone ridge under the window and peek in to get a look at it,happy days

We are many,They are few
Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Only when it should be renamed the Marie Celeste Bar ie when the staff have vanished
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Here's another outrage highlighted by the Daily Wail. Apparently people can be offended by a local street too.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gay-couple-outraged-over-homophobic-5696737

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Here in Pontypool there's a pub called the Labour in Vain. There used to be a pub sign there which featured a lady with a little black boy in a bathtub, trying to scrub him. The sign went a few years ago, but the pub is still there and still called the 'labour in Vain'.
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

I wouldn't fancy a drink in this one:

Smiley Surprised

stickyFloor.jpg

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Here's three more for your list, Archie.

'Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem'. (Drug connotations).

'The Useless Washerwoman'. (Misogynistic).

'The Valiant Warrior'. (Sexist).

Mister EMB

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Joe, we had a The Fighting C***s here in Bristol at one time.

There is also this one that I pass quite regularly.

It is a bird, but could offend someone

Photobucket
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

@jd.linklater wrote:

Here's another outrage highlighted by the Daily Wail. Apparently people can be offended by a local street too.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gay-couple-outraged-over-homophobic-5696737

That's just silly, would they want every mention of the man's name blacked out wherever it may appear?

There was a pub years ago where the sign showed a nurse scrubbing a black kid in a wash tub, the pub's name was 'The Labour in Vain'.

A local pub called 'The Railway' was shut and the person who later reopened it called it 'Lord Beechings', the family threatened to sue but the name remained.