Any bird watchers here?

No, not THAT sort of bird, birds that fly Smiley Happy

What are these? They look like Eider Ducks but are they? They're much bigger than Mallard.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Any bird watchers here?

The beak doesn't look quite the right shape for Eiders and although in sunlight the head has a slight Greenish tinge, Mergansers have a Red beak?

Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

They are Hybrids
Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

@fallen-archie wrote:
They are Hybrids

With some large domestic duck variety.

AKA  "manky mallards".

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

OK, thank you both.

They're much bigger than a Mallard, like a small Goose really, surely not some sort of mutated Mallard so wocher think they're crossed with?

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

Domestic ducks (except the muscovy duck) are all selectively bred mallards, so not even a hybrid, apparently:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/902/t/112384.aspx

Google "manky mallards" for lots of pictures, some just like yours.

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

Yeah, I did that after your previous post but I didn't see any just like them. Similar yes.

Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

Difficult to size from your pics but if they are very large then a Muscovy wodbe one of the offenders.
Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

The last pic shows them with "ordinary" Mallard and even though the Mallard are further away, you can see those two are bigger.

They seem to "Quark" rather than "Quack". Interesting that the two have arrived from somewhere and are sticking close together?

Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

@cee-dee wrote:

The last pic shows them with "ordinary" Mallard and even though the Mallard are further away, you can see those two are bigger.

They seem to "Quark" rather than "Quack". Interesting that the two have arrived from somewhere and are sticking close together?

Yes,I think I see where you’re coming from CD,

They won’t quack in English,They ”have arrived from somewhere” (I think we all know it’s not from within the UK,don’t we?) and are “sticking close together” in other words refusing to intergrate with the rest of society,

You also noted they were much larger than the Mallards,far be it for me to say it,but I think an over generous welfare system and the preponderance of food banks have a lot to answer for ! Smiley Sad

We are many,They are few
Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Any bird watchers here?

The USA has big Ducks..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz53.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent