Alarm bells for me

I have 3 gmail accounts, purely because of eBay as I have 3 accounts here.

Alarm bell number one went off earlier this evening when I checked my spam folder as sometimes non-spam ends up in there, only to find an email addressed to me by my full name from a gaming company I've never heard of asking me to review their product.

I didn't open it (hovering showed the email address), but googled the company name to see if it did exist and it does.

So, thought about this for a bit, as it's quite scary. Someone couldn't have used my email address to purchase anything from there or else I'd have received the purchase email, and it had gone straight to spam anyway.

I checked my Paypal and bank accounts to make as sure as I can be at this point that nothing was going down that shouldn't be.  Still, this is not good.  I wondered if someone had maliciously given my email addie to this company as the only possible reason I could think of.

About half an hour ago, checked another gmail account - one I use almost only for family stuff and an eBay account that's rarely used and the same thing is in there - exactly the same email addressed to me by full name asking me to review a product in my spam folder.

The third email account seems unaffected.

The connections?  Well, apart from each being attached to a separate eBay account (buying and selling) the only connection I can think of is Paypal.

The third email addie is not connected to Paypal.

All the potential options for somene getting hold of both email addies and my full name are not there.

eg - I use email addie 1 for my buying on eBay and other websites and that email addie is the primary one on Paypal so there should be no opportunity or reason for any seller to see my other email addie registered on Paypal.

Anyone got any input or suggestions on this?

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Alarm bells for me

forgot to say I'll have to pop back tomorrow as it's coming up to cocoa time.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Alarm bells for me

Did you check, the conditions that applied, when you set up Paypal

sure you have to opt out of them sharing your email to other companies

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Alarm bells for me

Spoiler

No Al - Payal is not allowed to share my email address or any other information with total strangers so they can spam me.

Ignore the spoiler thing - no idea what happened there.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent