eBay provided incorrect returns address, and I cannot retrieve the returned parcel

Hi there,

I have been an eBay user for 20 odd years, and last year set up this account to sell items from my business, that I no longer have any need for. So this account is quite new.

Last December I sold an item and after the customer received it, they quickly changed their mind and asked for a refund. This kicked off an automated process, whereby eBay provided a returns address to the customer and a corresponding label - all without any interaction from me.

Now, because it was a new account, there were some steps I was not aware that I was yet to complete, such as filling out a returns address. Rather than notify me and ask what the return address should be, eBay automatically provided the address required for business registration; which in my case is my registered company address, that is my accountant's address and not one that I use for postal mail (and besides, was closed for the festive season). This is standard practice for many UK businesses.

I had no idea that this address had been provided until the initial delivery attempts had all failed and the item got sent back to the customer's local sorting depot.

I expected the item to be returned to the customer, using potentially their own address that may have been printed on the label (a label I had no access to for more information). However, a delivery attempt was not attempted and the parcel sat at the local depot awaiting someone to collect it. It's a 4-hour drive / 8-hour round trip so collecting it wasn't something I could do easily.

At this point, the customer had been fully refunded weeks ago, so I didn't think I should have to ask them if they could go and collect it.

It's now been returned to the national sorting office and Royal Mail are telling me that it will be destroyed. I can't retrieve the parcel, despite me being the original sender and intended recipient. And in fact, because I am technically not the "sender", they can't give me any form of compensation.

Of course, eBay customer service is hands-off and could offer no support when I asked them why they'd given the customer an incorrect returns address.

There are clearly a number of flaws in eBay's design here:

- Why does eBay provide the customer with an address to return an item to when the *returns address has not yet been completed in a seller's profile?*

- Why does the seller not get any involvement in approving the return and the corresponding returns address?

- Why is there, not a clearer onboarding process for new accounts that highlights and requires sellers to complete critical information like the returns address?

- Why do automatically-provided returns labels appear to not include a "sent from" address on them?

This has left me out of pocket and will see a perfectly good piece of technology destroyed by Royal Mail, all due to an automated process I had zero control over, with no responsibility being accepted by eBay.

Infuriating.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

eBay provided incorrect returns address, and I cannot retrieve the returned parcel

I can understand you being upset, but I think, when you calm down a little, you'll realise it really was your own fault.

The options are all there, and if you chose not to add a returns address, what did you expect eBay to do if a return arose? Obviously they need to use the only address you have given them, which is what they did. eBay is far too large to conduct individual transactions manually. Everything that can be automated, is automated. The returns process is explained in some detail in the help pages.

I'm afraid it's just bad luck it happened to you now, but, sooner or later, there would be a return, and it would have happened then anyway. At least it's out the way now.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

When I received my last return request, I was asked to confirm the return address.  Odd, I thought, it's the same address eBay has been giving to nuisance buyers since 2019.  Why does it need confirmation?

I clicked on the link, and it displayed a garbled version of my address.  It was house number and street, city, district, house number and street, postcode.  I guess RM would have found me as all the data was there, albeit in a strange order.

I had to edit it a couple of times before it showed the number, street, district, city, postcode.  First and second time I saved, it reverted to the wrong order.  It's annoying enough to get a return, and extra hassle to sort out my address is not appreciated.  Must be a 'new, improved' feature.

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

As has already been highlighted in previous replies to your post, you should have completed the returns address details on your account so as to ensure that you get your item back again in the event that a buyer decides to return it for some reason.

Regardless of whether you do, or do not, have a returns address included on your eBay account, what you should do whenever you package items up for despatch to buyers is to write on the back of the package "If undelivered please return to..." followed by your name and the full postal address that you would like the package to be returned to.  At least that way you'd stand a far better chance of getting the item back again, rather than the item ending up being destroyed by the Royal Mail.  Once you have received the item back again you can then relist it for sale, but if you don't include a returns address on your account and/or an "If undelivered please return to..." address on the back of the parcel then don't be surprised if the item doesn't find its way back to you.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

I would have thought the parcel would have gone to your local sorting office and not the senders?

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent