VAT

I just realised thst Ebay has been taking VAT as fees for my sale  items. I am a UK resident and just selling second hand clothes thst I own. Why am I being charged vat. I have sold heaps of things on here so they owe me lots of money back.  I cannot find anywhere to talk to them. How do I call or email the . 

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

VAT

All sellers pay VAT on their fees,with private sellers it is included in eBays 12.8%+30p but Its the VAT portion of your seller fees which is shown apart on your invoices.

With Business sellers it ishown as variable fee price +VAT 

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

papso22
Experienced Mentor

What you sell is irrelevant to whether ebay charges you VAT on their fees.  Ebay are providing you with a taxable service, they have to charge you VAT on that.

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

There is VAT on eBay's fees because that's the law.

When you go into a shop to see the price of a TV the price you see includes VAT. You have to pay that price even if you are a private individual. The VAT is there even if the price shown doesn't mention VAT.

Write to your MP if you believe you have a worthwhile proposal for changes to VAT law.

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

@zitalondon wrote:

Why am I being charged vat. 

You are charged VAT on most things. For example, you pay 5% on gas and electricity, 20% on most things you buy from shops (except most food items), 20% on takeaways, 20% on petrol/diesel...

For consumers VAT must be included in the price you are shown. This is so consumers know the full price they will pay (VAT is a consumer tax) but it also means most people don't realise how much tax they actually pay in VAT. Some suppliers (like eBay) show a breakdown of VAT on their invoices/receipts; this is common when a VAT registered business supplies other businesses as well as consumers. A receipt from a DIY store or vehicle repair garage would likely show a similar breakdown.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

VAT is charged on almost everything we buy....ebay is no different.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

UK government is applying VAT across the board for all resale items. So Ebay will be collecting it as of around September 2023. May be best to register as a business seller because ebay BOT will see any re-sales and apply the charges. It's a government thing not eBay's fault. they are just applying new legislation to their site.

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

@old-3134 wrote:

UK government is applying VAT across the board for all resale items. So Ebay will be collecting it as of around September 2023. May be best to register as a business seller because ebay BOT will see any re-sales and apply the charges. It's a government thing not eBay's fault. they are just applying new legislation to their site.

Could you please provide your source for this information?  

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

That seems  not to always happen on my recent visits on Ebay. I was after DVD  and on the listing there was  no mention of VAT after making a bid  Ebay tells me I  will be charged 20% VAT should I win ,that  after I have comitted myself .Surely Ebay should tell me  VAT will be charged prior to me  bidding .On expensive items your looking at a lot of money you may not have budgetted for . 

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

@old-3134 wrote:

This is nonsense. 

Where are you getting this from?

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

As usual, the moaners will not have read ebay's terms:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

*If you want to make enemies, try to change something - Woodrow Wilson
*It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Charles Darwin
Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

My guess is the VAT is on the fee element of the total price, not on the "Final Value" which is your zero-rated item's price. A snag of not being liable for collecting VAT on our sales is we cannot reclaim VAT on our business purchases . We are buying business services from eBay.

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

There's a big push for Amazon sellers to claim back vat that Amazon applied to their selling fees if you're not vat registered.

Does anybody know if you can do the same with eBay ?

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

VAT

Private sellers have no need to charge vat. If your being charged vat the seller is a business and there for you have a lot more rights

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: