eBay is harassing me and im fed up with it!

Hello everyone. I have been on ebay for half a decade, both buying and selling. 

Recently I've been assaulted with account restrictions and payment holdouts. 

1st they wanted to review my account, then they needed me to uploads tracking numbers to certain transactions, even if the buyer did not claim that the item did not arrive, now they ask for receipts for the items im selling..

3 payout suspensions in 2 weeks, the fact that they treat their sellers as 2nd class citizens isn't enough apparently, they have to constantly harass sellers.

Anyone else had these annoying thongs happen? What do they even want from me?

Message 1 of 23
See Most Recent
22 REPLIES 22

The major issue is probably your account status.

Any member who is selling several brand new e-bike batteries, should clearly be registered as a business.

Looking at your detailed star ratings, your buyers also indicate there have been issues with delivery times.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 23
See Most Recent

Thank you for your answer.

Why is ebay concerned about my status? They're a selling platform, they got nothing better to do than play government with their users?

I don't see what the deluvery times have to do with any of the verifications they undertook. 

Also why go through all this hell instead of just getting in touch to discuss the matter?

Message 3 of 23
See Most Recent

you say "then they needed me to uploads tracking numbers to certain transactions" and

I don't see what the deluvery times have to do with any of the verifications they undertook. 

Your delivery star rating is at 4.2 - This is on the low side so Ebay have asked for tracking numbers and they clearly were ok with that.

now they ask for receipts for the items im selling..

But if you are a business then you have certain distance selling regulations you must adhere to : basically as a private seller you do not need to accept returns and refund postage etc - Ebay are looking at the fact that you are selling alot of car parts which unfortunately can attract a certain sector of society who are steeling cars, stripping them and selling the parts on Ebay - As a selling platform they are looking at whether these parts are from "legit" sources so they want to know Where you are obtaining your parts from and do you have receipts ? If you do not then that would raise a red flag for them as they need to be confident these are not stolen.

Why is ebay concerned about my status? They're a selling platform, they got nothing better to do than play government with their users?

You are right in the fact that Ebay are not interested in your tax affairs and not "playing government" with their users but from Jan 2024 by law they are compelled to report all sellers who sell over 30 items or £1700 As you fall into that category (I see you have 43 feedback in the last 12mths) you will then have to explain your tax affairs to HMRC. 

3 payout suspensions in 2 weeks, the fact that they treat their sellers as 2nd class citizens isn't enough apparently, they have to constantly harass sellers.

Im sorry that you see this as harrassment but I see it as Ebay doing their due diligence on a new seller to ensure that your items are from a traceable source. 

Also why go through all this hell instead of just getting in touch to discuss the matter?

Im afraid alot of these processes are bot driven or with people processing hundreds of info a day and calling you to discuss your affairs is not cost effective for Ebay.

Message 4 of 23
See Most Recent

@ago-integrations wrote:

It makes you look dodgy.

A Business seller is someone who buys or makes and item to sell on ( a private seller is one who is selling off their own personal items, such as bits from their wardrobe/loft/garage).  They need to be registered as a business to meet the requirements of UK law. They need to declare income to HMRC once they reach £1,000 worth of sales (eBay will be providing HMRC with your details anyway so it's vital to keep correct accounts for your tax return). You can obviously offset more expenses as a business seller, but can't offset any at all as a private one.  

To correctly register as a business seller simply go to your Personal Information in your account and to the right of Account Type, which will be showing as 'Individual'  you'll see an Edit option.

https://accountsettings.ebay.co.uk/profile

This doesn't affect your feedback profile or any current listings, it merely upgrades your account so that you're legally compliant. 

Message 5 of 23
See Most Recent

Also Ive checked some of your descriptions " message me before buying" - If you are conducting the sale outside of Ebay (closing the listings to avoid the fees) then Ebay will have picked up on that too.

As @*vyolla* says "it makes you look dodgy" 

Message 6 of 23
See Most Recent

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Ebay asked specifically about the ebike batteries im selling. 

Also, as mentioned I've been on ebay for 5 years, not a new seller by any means, just new merchandise. 

Would you be able to tell me more about ebay having to report to hmrc?

Message 7 of 23
See Most Recent

Information regarding UK digital sales reporting t... - UK eBay Community

Please note that it isnt jujst Ebay its all online platforms eg Etsy, Amazon, Deliveroo, Just Eat etc 

Reporting rules for digital platforms - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Message 8 of 23
See Most Recent

Is shopify an alternative? As technically they don't provide you with a selling platform, rather they help you create a website on which to sell.

Message 9 of 23
See Most Recent

@ago-integrations wrote:

Is shopify an alternative? As technically they don't provide you with a selling platform, rather they help you create a website on which to sell.

Are you trying to avoid being reported to HMRC?

Message 10 of 23
See Most Recent

Me?? Nooo! I love paying taxes, the more the better!

Message 11 of 23
See Most Recent

HMRC will be pleased to read that. This chat forum does have its down sides.

But has good SEO for all to see.

Astronomy is looking up
Message 12 of 23
See Most Recent

If you have sold more than 30 items on ebay since 1st Jan, or total value above approximately £1700, it is already too late to avoid ebay reporting your sales to HMRC as you will already be on the list.  HMRC can then look back several years if they are suspicious that any tax due was not paid. 

Message 13 of 23
See Most Recent

It doesn't matter, i pay what i have to pay, let them come. 

Not sure why you care, but you'd probably be a good ebay employee, seeing how they concern themselves with other people's business.

Message 14 of 23
See Most Recent

True BUT in order to sell online you must publish your trading address (by law) on the website and adhere to DSR or you are likely to be reported to trading standards.  Running a website business would be obvious that you were not declaring your income and could be reported to HMRC regardless. Eitherway you are trying to avoid paying tax and "tax evasion" is a serious matter (usually imprisoment and I dont say that to scare you I know of someone who was imprisoned for 6mth for not declaring their taxes) 

Message 15 of 23
See Most Recent

Im just done with all this, will probably just open an ltd and take advantage of it's tax efficiency. 

Message 16 of 23
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

hard to make a shilling nowadays without leaving a paper trail or the greedy b******s trying to screw you for money.

yet our so called PM can give his wife non dom status look after their rich pals or hide their money offshore or in gibraltar,jersey or switzerland while the tories stuff as much cash as they can in their pockets before the GE

yet they get overlooked ...always those trying to make an honest bob 

Message 17 of 23
See Most Recent

Sorry cant agree with people who are avoid paying tax, theyre not earning "an honest bob" more likely sat on benefits or part time jobs earning extra on the side, wouldnt we all like to do that. You can throw the light on the rich tories and non doms and Ill agree, but thats between each person and the ballot box, but it doesnt mean those avoiding tax, which at the end of the day pays for the services we all use get a free pass just because they hate the tories and dont think its fair

Message 18 of 23
See Most Recent

What people forget to understand is that HMRC could always retreive data from ebay and other platforms for a long time the only difference is that now its automated. 

so everyone who keeps on ranting on about it, its not going to make much of a difference to be honest most likely remain the same so its nothing new you will still get businesses selling as private sellers and so on. 

As to the suspensions and being harrashed by ebay well thats ebay for you and then they wonder why sellers are leaving there platform surely theres a better way to request information for KYC that is amnicable to both parties. 

Message 19 of 23
See Most Recent

I don't remember the government coming tonwork fo (insert percentage %) of my time they tax. I wouldn't mind paying taxes for the common good, but i drive through potholes and poorly illuminated streets while my taxes fo to subsidized living and benefits for people who refuse to work.

Message 20 of 23
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: