Zero selling fees

One month left of zero selling fees and the deal has definitely triggered me to declutter and also sell a few high value items commison free.

What's the feeling with people on if this is a one off never to be seen again offer or something we might see repeated on a regular basis?

In other words should I scuttle about for next 30 days and get sales in while offer lasts or relax catching offer next time then sell next batch of items?

Amazing how it has prompted me into thinking ....It's in a cupboard ...I don't use it or see it much...so why am I keeping it? ....let's cash in 😀

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

Zero selling fees

Not all sellers got this offer so it's probably better not to assume they'll choose you again. Before I started listing things for sale, I was getting offers of maximum £1 selling fees but that stopped as soon as I actually started selling so I was never able to make use of it. Now the question is what are Ebay's criteria for which sellers to send the best promotions to.

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

My deals over the past 7 years have been;

£1 max selling then that stopped.

Then odd 80% off selling fees.

Then for last 3 years or more it's been 70% off fees offer bi-weekly (listing period Friday to Monday - 4 days).

I sell a lot on eBay and take advantage of 70% off deals (sold 86 items last year).

Now using the zero fee offer.

Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

There may be an hidden reason if eBay are offering a few Members at a time to have Zero fees.

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

There is obviously a business reason behind the promotion.

Like to know if it's a one off or something like the 80% off and 70% off deals and will be on a regular basis.

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

I would grab it while it's there...

My OH got the offer, but I didn't.... it has had the same desired effect as yourself by the sounds of it - I may get to move after all....

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

It may be a way the company can see what exactly is being sold on the choosen sites & how they can make more money out of the Seller/s in the future.

Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

It probabaly will never happen ever again and I hope it never happens again. 

Unfortunately although some private sellers will just sell unwanted bits and bobs and the offers will help them recover back more of the money they originally paid for the items, too many business sellers (ones who buy/make items to sell on for a profit) will remain on private accounts exclusively to make as much money as possible with this and other promos. 

Specifically in these fee promo terms it states it isn't for business sellers, but those business sellers who remain on a private account (often depriving customers of their legal right to return the item, not showing their full contact details before a purchase is made and breaking other laws) can get around this.

It then causes the platform to become pretty toxic as eBay are ultimately the ones giving the advantage to business sellers who stay on private accounts (over those who are correctly registered on a business account). 

The best service and the majority of eBay's turnover comes from those who are correctly business account registered and so they should look at doing away with fee promos for private accounts altogether (or at least making them once every 3 or 6 months). Certainly it will sting some genuine private sellers, but I'm afraid it's those who are abusing the promo to peddle their stock and eBay's lack of action so far that will ruin it for everyone else.

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

I would have to disagree with the blanket 'The best service and the majority of eBay's turnover comes from those who are correctly business account registered' Some of the worst experiences I have had, service wise, have been from ebay's so called top-rated, reputable sellers 😞

Personally the offer, on my other ID, has been an absolute boon - the quicker I can get rid of all this stuff the better, and whilst we could donate/bin it, it's nice to get even a small fraction of what we paid for it back.

As for unreg business sellers, I never use them. On 2 recent items I have bought I have found the item I want, only to find the sellers were unreg business sellers, so I moved on to the next seller who was correctly registered, even if it meant paying a bit more. That's really the only way to get rid of them - even if ebay ended all private seller promos tomorrow, there would still be loads of unreg business sellers, because either they don't realise they should be business reg (not all sellers come to the boards!), they are firmly convinced 'private' means they are just one person rather than Tesco, they don't want to offer returns, or the FVFs are cheaper, and listings are free.

If I had to pay business seller fees, I would just donate/bin all we have left, it wouldn't be worth it, and as a private seller I only have what I have, I can't go sourcing good deals/must have products that would bring n more money to cover the extra fees.

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

Whilst I like that you dont buy from unregistered business sellers, sadly you are in the minority, especially in my department that I sell in. I also strongly disagree with you on the statement of thats the only way to stop it. It could be stopped pretty sharply if eBay were to put a real limit on how much private accounts could sell, I cant imagine many private sellers have over 100 items a month to sell, allowing some to have thousands is just a joke, they could also just have a standard fee across the board and promos to all or nothing, I say that as somebody who due to Pro Trader programme or whatever its called have had a few (partially funded) promos recently.

The statement is exactly what eBay hope people will say, we need to police their site instead of them making sure sellers stick to the law, they make money from us but expect buyers to police their site, its a bit of a joke tbh. 

With regards to the zero selling fees I cant see how eBay can make it a regular without clamping down on the rogue traders otherwise a lot more business sellers will just move to the illegal trading side or close their account like many are currently doing, you cant give one side everything for free and just expect the business accounts to pick up the bill. Even though I come across anti private accounts getting promos if it was restricted to say 25 listings a month I'd probably be ok with that being free as that is just getting rid of stuff, once you can get hundreds majority are being a bit dodgy imho. 

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

"I would have to disagree with the blanket 'The best service and the majority of eBay's turnover comes from those who are correctly business account registered' Some of the worst experiences I have had, service wise, have been from ebay's so called top-rated, reputable sellers"

Totally beg to differ with it and from my own and anyone else's that I've spoken to about it. 

If we take one factor in this... Returns. Who is more likely to do a thorough job with their listings, packaging and making sure the item arrives as best as possible to the customer? A private business seller with no returns accepted (whereby apart from eBay's MBG, once it's left them, it's job done), or a business seller that has to fully accept returns and lose out on their initial postage money if said item is returned?

On this basis if we take clothing. Measuring clothing and adding the measurements to a listing is hassle. It means extra steps than just taking a photo and doing the listing. I've seen countless private business sellers with no measurements at all (because after all, if the item doesn't fit someone, it's tough). Yet the vast majority of clothing business sellers I've seen (in fact almost all) will include the measurements because they have to accept returns for sizing and so it's worthwhile to include those them in the listing.  Having the measurements is much better service. 

I could give many more examples in different areas but it's a busy day. 

Then as for fees, of course business sellers pay more to eBay than private sellers with having to pay full fees, shop fees and paying for extra listings. 

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

@pg_kicks wrote:

It could be stopped pretty sharply if eBay were to put a real limit on how much private accounts could sell, I cant imagine many private sellers have over 100 items a month to sell

Oh, I can manage to use the 2 x 100 items a month lower FVFs that ebay give out, and add a few more listings between offers, simply because I have a huge collection of a particular item - think along the lines of stamps, dvds or postcards. Just because I list 200 a month doesn't mean I am selling 200 a month.

@pg_kicks wrote:

Even though I come across anti private accounts getting promos if it was restricted to say 25 listings a month I'd probably be ok with that being free as that is just getting rid of stuff, once you can get hundreds majority are being a bit dodgy imho. 

OK, I'm obviously dodgy then!

The thing is, those who don't do 'stuff' can't imagine that anyone can have more than a hundred items they no longer want.

Those that do 'stuff' don't understand how any household can only have half a dozen things they no longer want.

I get you want it fairer to business sellers - as an ex one, so do I - but frankly 25 items a month from say a stamp collection, just doesn't cut it.

We will have to agree to disagree on the fact that business seller offer the best customer service.

@pg_kicks wrote:

"Who is more likely to do a thorough job with their listings, packaging and making sure the item arrives as best as possible to the customer? A private business seller with no returns accepted (whereby apart from eBay's MBG, once it's left them, it's job done), or a business seller that has to fully accept returns and lose out on their initial postage money if said item is returned?"

Well, my items are packed pretty darned well - some of the stuff I get from business sellers is lucky to make it here in one piece.

If I list a book for example, it has details of any damage/marks with photos. It is plastic bagged, and taped, so that it's secure, then packed either in a card book wrap, boxed or wrapped in card. On the other hand if I buy books from ebay's biggest and most 'reputable' book sellers, the listing is scant - usually just 'good' , the picture is a stock photo, possibly not even the edition you will recieve, and it's just dropped into a mailing sack, some times not even taped to stop it floating around in the bag, and then it often has faults that wern't mentioned on the listing! 

Face it, as in most walks of like, there are good and bad on both sides.

Not all private sellers don't accept returns. I state I accept them.

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

I'm guessing you missed the part when I said majority, but thats fine. Yes I know some (very few) will have genuine reason to have more than 200 listed a month but they will be few and far between, especially ones that have items listed at reasonable prices. If there was a limit people may be more selective, especially if they were free as somebody has to pay for the space all the listings are on.

Just incase you still think I was implying you are dodgy, I most certainly was not but if I found 100 accounts that had over 200 items listed and have sold over 2k items I'd bet a good amount that 90% were trading illegally, again I am in no way saying you are, but this is the poop pile eBay have created. Instead of them fixing it they'd rather we argue amongst ourselves.

I 100% did not say the 2nd part you have quoted me on though, I rarely buy from eBay apart from the 'free' packaging which could be better packaged and sneakers but they go through AG so ebay repackage.

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

@pg_kicks wrote:

this is the poop pile eBay have created. Instead of them fixing it they'd rather we argue amongst ourselves.

I'm with you 100% on that one 😞  

@pg_kicks wrote:

I 100% did not say the 2nd part you have quoted me on though, I rarely buy from eBay apart from the 'free' packaging which could be better packaged and sneakers but they go through AG so ebay repackage.

No, you didn't - my apologies! I was being lazy and copied the 'pg_kicks' to quote from a different post that I thought was also you ... but it wasn't. 😞

I will have to take my own advice, that I'm always trying to drum into my OH - 'Do things properly'!

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

"Not all private sellers don't accept returns.  I state that I accept them."

So do I and I always have.  Selling glass I figured it might stop unhappy buyers breaking things to get a refund.

Out of 396 sales I have only ever had 1 return request, the buyer didn't read my "Returns Accepted" on the listing before accusing me of various under-handed tricks to get the sale and even of wanting to injure her small children.  When I pointed out that I accepted "No Quibble"  Returns and that if they returned the item in one piece I would refund in full, the silly scenarios stopped and the refund duly made.

I've also never received a Negative FB and only one Neutral.  A bit unfair IMO as it was for an old Bakelite ash-tray which smells a bit funny anyway and had years of cigarette smoke ingrained into it, but they gave me a Neutral because it "Stank of smoke".

As for careful and good quality packaging, selling glass it would be foolish not to wrap everything in a way to avoid damage.  So far 🤞 I haven't had to refund a single buyer because an item has been damaged in transit.

As for Properly Registered Business Sellers.  I've had more problems with them quoting "RM 2nd Class" but then sending glass I've bought by Evri "Tracked", sometimes even when I've checked with them that they will send by RM first, than I ever have with other private sellers. 

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

Have they reversed their decision to lump the shipping price into the total price before taking their percentage. I stopped once they did this as the fee was not as stated if they are taking it from the shipping cost as well as that is not feeling for item sold & I do not get to keep the shipping money I am using it to send the item so it further ate into my profit meaning their feedback was higher that stated. I contacted them & they said this is something we need to do as some ppl are charging to much for shipping however, I never did this so how was it fair that I paid the price for other ppls bad practices. Walked away & have never used them since

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

*** from the shipping cost as well is unfair ***

Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

Have they reversed their decision to lump the shipping price into the total price before taking their percentage. I stopped once they did this as the fee was not as stated if they are taking it from the shipping cost as well it is not fair as I do not get to keep the shipping money I am using it to send the item so it further ate into my profit meaning their percentage was higher than stated. I contacted them & they said this is something they need to do as some ppl are charging to much for shipping however, I never did this so how is it fair that I pay the price for other ppls bad practices & not only that all if is going to do is make more ppl charge higher prices to recoup the fact they are adding that monetary value into their total percentage, to me it is an excuse just to further eat into the profits of already struggling sellers. I Walked away & have never used them since

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

Zero selling fees

Ebay haven't lost anything because the wide eyed in the queue behind wipes the loss out.

Savvy sellers just added the extra to their total price.It's not rocket science.

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent