Yodel in final stages of talks amid concern over its future: Possible Yodel administration

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68238101

When is eBay going to make an official announcement / statement regarding this latest situation with Yodel giving advice etc to sellers? Before (preferably) or after the event?

Message 1 of 24
See Most Recent
23 REPLIES 23

Yodel in final stages of talks amid concern over its future: Possible Yodel administration

If they do make a statement it will be when something is known.

What advice do sellers need? If they think it's going to be iffy, then use another courier.

Message 2 of 24
See Most Recent

There is no offical announcement here for eBay to make about another Company.

Information is available for one and all to make informed decisions whether to use a company or not.

Even Yodel has not made an offical announcement,  it's all speculation.

It could happen tomorrow,  next month or not at all.

Just wanted to add whatever we think of Yodel,  lets hope it's  ' not at all' ,   as  thousands of people's jobs are at stake here.

Message 3 of 24
See Most Recent

Information regarding Yodel wasn’t that widely available unless searched for or stumbled upon by chance.

Advice such as:

Where sellers stand with parcels that are already in the system when possible administration is announced?

Will eBay withdraw Yodel as a postage option as a precaution?

Would Yodel want to make any statement at all? Reassuring or not it would not want to seem to damage its market place standing any further.

Yes agreed, indeed, hope it doesn’t happen at all for the sake of more unnecessary job losses.

Message 4 of 24
See Most Recent

We are going to have to wait for some more definitive decisions and announcements from Yodel ,  before eBay can consider sellers / buyers positions ,  and make any decisions  for using Yodel on their platform.

Bit of a wait and see,  for the present time.

Message 5 of 24
See Most Recent

Parcel 2 Go have just removed all full cover in the pending decision on Yodel

Ive just spent the morning cancelling labels to send with Evri as I would hate all my orders to be sat in the system if they went under - nightmare scenario 

Message 6 of 24
See Most Recent

Perhaps a chance for eBay to step closer to emulating Amazon by taking over Yodel.

It would be very interesting to see eBay actually doing something in the real world like delivering items. And the effect that would have on the fantasy EDD.

Message 7 of 24
See Most Recent

Latest comment from Yodel:

https://www.yodel.co.uk/february-2024-update

Message 8 of 24
See Most Recent

Intersting, This is what P2Go are sending out, more than speculation in the news......  

Screenshot_20240209_184053_Email.jpg

Message 9 of 24
See Most Recent

If Yodel go under I would put money on Evri taking it on at a good price  (£10 buys the lot)  and delivering all the abandoned parcels in their clearing centres as part of the deal. Lot of staff will go though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buying or selling in ANY auction envronment is a gamble and Ebay is an auction so if you aren't willing to lose sometimes then why are you gambling?
As an aside If it's so good in the City why doesn't any one smile?
Message 10 of 24
See Most Recent

Ebay have discretely removed Yodel services it seems. While at yodeldirect.co.uk (run by P2G), no announcement, apart from Valentine’s Day promotion banner!yodel temp not avable.jpgyodel direct.jpg

Message 11 of 24
See Most Recent

I've just had a parcel sent to me using Yodel and when I checked the tracking this morning there's a statement on their site about all this. The summary of it is 'business as usual'.

There's plenty more in the news.

I don't know why anyone on eBay bothers with them. I've had several things sent to me using them and typically something that would take 2-3 days by RM has taken up to 10 days to arrive with Yodel and then it's just been dumped on my porch, quite often in the dark.

Message 12 of 24
See Most Recent

Furthermore interparcel have removed all Yodel services from their site now. With no explanation or announcement.   

Message 13 of 24
See Most Recent

"An earlier statement from Yodel had said that it had "a number of parties looking to acquire the business".

Yeah, and all the parties names end in the phrase '... insolvency practitioners'.

Message 14 of 24
See Most Recent

EBAY: Can you PLEASE issue a statement so that buyers are aware of what is going on and [hopefully] wait a little before opening INR cases. AND  a statement for sellers on how ebay are going to handle INR's / neg FB relating to Yodel.

As a seller, I have 3 items currently  in the yodel system and yodel have altered the 'estimated delivery date' backwards and then said 'its not late yet so please wait we can't escalate until its past that date' [ luckily i only used yodel for very low value orders ]

ebay you've broken me, i'm becoming a moaning git.........
Message 15 of 24
See Most Recent

To be fair to Ebay none of the above applies until something happens, Yodels been removed from postage options now so hopefully all those in the system will arrive, i have a few still moving and some delivered today

Message 16 of 24
See Most Recent

To be fair to Sellers it is ALREADY happenning. eg my item sold saturday 3rd dispatched same day by Yodel with Yodel supplied delivery date of 8th. Track it today and it now says ' delivery due on 12th'. Buyer is already upset and is close to opening an INR which they are already able to do as it is past its EDD. On top of that, the tracking states it left dispatch depot on 6th but it hasn't arrived at their NDC yet. So tomorrow delivery is highly unlikely IMHO. So i do believe that ebay really  do need to act NOW. 

Message 17 of 24
See Most Recent

@hifat wrote:

Furthermore interparcel have removed all Yodel services from their site now. With no explanation or announcement.   

I personally wouldn't trust interparcel with even sending an empty box, or a box of bubble wrap, or anything. They are no cheaper than Parcel2Go (cheapest is Evri Postable @ 2.58) and they once tried taking me to court over £3.40, so personally I'd rather Interparcel collapsed than Yodel.

Maybe InterParcel should buy out Yodel, realize how bad Yodel is performing, then go bust themselves. That would be a nice bit of justice to the world.

Message 18 of 24
See Most Recent

@simplyessential_uk wrote:

Parcel 2 Go have just removed all full cover in the pending decision on Yodel

Ive just spent the morning cancelling labels to send with Evri as I would hate all my orders to be sat in the system if they went under - nightmare scenario 

I only ever send stuff unprotected anyway because it's highly unlikely Yodel would ever pay up on anything - they once refused compensation on a laptop of mine which has been clearly abused during transit - so don't use them for anything worthwhile. Now I will stop using them completely.

This is a shame because less competition will mean higher prices, and with Yodel gone there is no economic way of sending anything to Northern Ireland that contains a battery, because Evri charge about £2.50-£3 more and Royal Mail - the only sensible option remaining - prohibit batteries.

Message 19 of 24
See Most Recent

@rosestudios wrote:

If Yodel go under I would put money on Evri taking it on at a good price  (£10 buys the lot)  and delivering all the abandoned parcels in their clearing centres as part of the deal. Lot of staff will go though.

It would be kinda nice if Evri did take over Yodel, gives them more capacity in their depots and hubs for more parcels and also hopefully keeps Click & Collect alive. At the moment, a lot of eBay's Click & Collect stores are Yodel drop off shops (or Argos stores) so if Yodel's parcel drop off points disappeared, there would be virtually no collection points for eBay's Click & Collect service.

Also would mean that duplicate depots/sorting hubs in the network could be merged, as well as more options for dropping off a parcel i.e. if someone previously had a nearby Yodel, but not Evri, then they would get an Evri store, making Evri more accessible.

Message 20 of 24
See Most Recent