Will Ebay remove untrue feedback?

Hi, I've sold 656 items on here and have just received my first non-positive and untrue feedback. The buyer left neutral feedback, saying that the pink cardigan I sent her was not pink but a "dull orange". I understand that sometimes people can see colours differently, but in this case there is no possibility that the cardigan is any shade of orange. Photos were taken in good daylight and I described the colour as a "raspberry pink". Two other sellers have sold the same cardigan and described it as pink. I wonder if the buyer is perhaps colour blind, or viewed the cardigan in poor lighting? She didn't contact me before leaving feedback. 

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to deal with this? Would Ebay remove the feedback if I asked? Should I contact the buyer and explain and ask her to change the feedback? Or should I just reply to the feedback and leave it at that?

Of course I'm grateful that the feedback wasn't negative - it could have been much worse. But it's still disappointing when you work hard and describe items accurately, and a buyer leaves unhappy feedback without contacting you first.

Grateful for any advice. Thank you!

Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

Hi

You can try and request Ebay to remove the neutral feedback but to be honest there is nothing in it that breaks feedback policies.    Definitely looks pink to me so it may be worth a try.

There are a couple of  ways you can deal with this.....

Reply politely to the feedback.   I would be inclined not to do that as it will make it stand out a bit more on your feedback page.  IF left as it is then it will soon drop off the first page of feedback.   In any case that feedback would definitely not put me off purchasing from you as i would also probably think that buyer may just be colour blind.

OR   contact the buyer something along the lines that you are surprised to see that they are not happy with their purchase on this occasion and a little disappointed that they did not contact you to give you an opportunity to resolve the issue.   Remind them that you are a business seller and do accept returns.   You could suggest that they open a case and return the item for a full refund upon receipt of the item back to you. Although you cannot make a refund conditional on them changing the feedback........maybe they will agree to you sending them a Feedback Revision Request if you can get on good terms with them.    They may do this especially as they are an experienced member.

Personally i would probably just leave the feedback as it is and not draw further attention to it.

As you say it could have been worse.    I would add this buyer to my bl;ocked bidder list.

Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

I would echo everything that 1956glyn has said and really don't worry about 1 neutral feedback.  It won't affect your 100% feedback rating and some people just are plain grumpy. 

It is always a nasty jolt when you get negative or neutral feedback although as time goes on, you just get to accept that sometimes you are going to get strange feedback.  I had a neutral recently for some briefs (new packs) I had sold and the feedback was neutral with the comment "Thank you" - no contact to say what the neutral was for but there it was.

Don't reply to it, let it fade away and crack on. 😁

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

You can try the 'help' link where you can request for eBay to remove feedback. It's very hit and miss but I would not respond until you've tried this as I have found eBay seem more reluctant to remove it if you have responded.

But as others have said, try not to take it personally, it's just one person's opinion. If you do respond, keep it polite and professional. IMO responses are for future buyers to see that you care, maybe something like 'no contact left before feedback, I would have been happy to accept a return if you'd contacted me first' - that way, if future buyers do look at the neutral, they will be reassured that contacting you first is a good idea.

Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

Thanks so much for all of your helpful comments. Really appreciated. I've sent a feedback revision request to Ebay and we'll see what happens. If Ebay removes the feedback, then I'm not sure whether it's worth me contacting the buyer? If she wants to return it then she's free to do so.

Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

Very helpful, thank you

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Thank you 🙂

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

Great, thank you!

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

You do say in the description "Not as bright as in some of the photos. I couldn’t capture the true colour exactly" . This can cause a problem as many buyers don't read the description and go by the photos alone. Buyers using a mobile phone to browse ebay don't even get to see the description unless they click to another page.  A neutral won't affect you as a seller so it's best not to worry about it.

Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

Does Ebay normally notify you of their decision regarding feedback removal?

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

Possibly the buyer really does view it as not pink. It could be lighting, but sometimes people do see colours differently. At least the feedback wasn't negative. Trying to engage with them about it would draw attention to it - probably best to shrug and move on. Your other good feedback will stand you in good stead if a new buyer looks up your feedback because they're thinking of buying from you.

What I (and those friends I consulted) see as blue, hubby calls green; first learned about when we debated a jumper he'd bought that to me was plainly blue but he insisted was green (the label didn't help). I have two friends who're colour-blind and they don't see the same colours as each other (not even the same shade of grey which is what a certain colour shows to them as) (can't remember the details but I know there are different kinds of colour-blindness and different intensities, and that some people have some colour-blindness without being aware of it).

A girlfriend has eyes of different colours, and when we go clothes-shopping together whenever we spot us seeing items as different colours I "blame" her different eyes. There was also that dress which went viral as to whether it was blue & black or white & gold, being four colours which, you'd think, should be easily distinguished from each other.

As a crafter I'm used to seeing whole palette ranges and from time to time am amused by the colour names which plainly don't tally with the actual colour of cardstock/ribbon/ink marker/paint/crayon/coloured pencil/gilding polish. That suggests it's not at all uncommon for people to interpret colours in a rather wide range. I also once bought a purse which was described as "pink rosemary", and it had no hint of pink and was sage green.

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Thank you. I believe the buyer is being genuine - she truly thinks it's not pink. But she should have contacted me about this before leaving feedback. If I send her a message, I'll mention this. The cardigan was nicely wrapped with a handwritten note, and sent by tracked delivery. You would hope that the recipient would think to message the seller about any issues first. I'm clearly not a big, impersonal company who is careless about the accuracy of listings. I do care, and I work very hard to sell good quality items that people will love 🙂

Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

i think they usually notify you within 24 to 48 hours with their decision.   Saying that, i am not sure if it takes a little longer at the week end.

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

I've found the response from eBay can take anywhere from 2 hours to 48 hours. I suspect it's mostly automated.

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

No they won't I got u true negative feedback and they refused to remove it

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: