Which courier to use to send a large expensive art?

Hi, i hope you are all well.

I am selling (from another account) an oil paiting in a frame.

Size - about 30 x 19inch so it's quite big.  Seen identical items being sold around £120-£150.

I haven't sold anything this big (size, price) so I would like to use a courier that is erm...careful (?) and with compensation.

Please tell me your experiences, Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 15
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@windycity444 wrote:

Size - about 30 x 19inch so it's quite big.  Seen identical items being sold around £120-£150.

I haven't sold anything this big (size, price) so I would like to use a courier that is erm...careful (?) and with compensation.

Parcelforce do offer compensation on works of art sent domestically (i.e. not via their "globalexpress" service) as long as their packaging requirements are met and you have the necessary evidence of value. However, there is a caveat being the picture frame and the glass are specifically excluded from compensation and any damage caused to the piece by the frame and/or glass breaking in transit will preclude any compensation being paid.

I'm pretty sure all the "regular" domestic couriers will only carry art as a non-compensation item (including for loss).

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent
14 REPLIES 14

I would avoid Evri. DPD damage boxes badly. Post office are ok but they will only compensate you what you paid for the painting and not what you sold it for. All i can think of is Yodel. But it's mainly down to delivery drivers so it will vary area to area

Message 2 of 15
See Most Recent

Most couriers will not insure Art work for damage. I use Parcelforce for larger fragile items but you have to double pack and double wrap as if it is damaged, you take the hit. 

Message 3 of 15
See Most Recent

peturning
Conversationalist

There is no courier that hasn't destroyed a parcel in transit before.

They all do it from time to time and the only way you can mitigate is by packaging very, very well.

You might want to consult with your buyer, everyone seems to have an issue with every courier service and that's fair enough but they might well have a preference that makes them feel better.

Regardless of who it is though always err on caution and package it in the assumption they will try to kick it to the delivery adresss.

Message 4 of 15
See Most Recent

@windycity444 wrote:

Parcelforce do offer compensation on works of art sent domestically (i.e. not via their "globalexpress" service) as long as their packaging requirements are met and you have the necessary evidence of value. However, there is a caveat being the picture frame and the glass are specifically excluded from compensation and any damage caused to the piece by the frame and/or glass breaking in transit will preclude any compensation being paid.

I'm pretty sure all the "regular" domestic couriers will only carry art as a non-compensation item (including for loss).

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 5 of 15
See Most Recent

I sell the occasional painting.

If glazed, then they have to be packed to within an inch of their lives. There are videos which give very good advice on how to pack a glazed painting for transport.

If unglazed, not so bad. Just pack it really well, then go upstairs and drop it out of a window. If you are not happy doing this, then you can't be comfortable you have packed it well enough!

Message 6 of 15
See Most Recent

Sold half a dozen guitars from my collection. I packed well and used Parcelforce without any issues whatsoever. Probably your best bet.

Message 7 of 15
See Most Recent

Have a look at other sellers of paintings & see who they use <after checking their fb is good & not littered with item arrived broken>

Message 8 of 15
See Most Recent

Hi, thanks for your reply! (forgot to mention but yes, I'm only sending the parcel within the UK)

I've been researching a lot and I think Parcelforce seems like my best bet with large expensive art item. (maybe I will look into DHL or UPS another time. I've received a garden plant parcel from a UK store using DHL so I had a feeling they were not bad) 

I've watched many YT videos and figured and prepared : Acid free paper,  DIY cardboard triangle corners, many layers of cardboard box/sheet. I'm really impressed with good useful video's on YT! 

Message 9 of 15
See Most Recent

sorry slightly off the original topic but when you send the larger fragile items, do you use bubble wrap or foam sheet?  (I just found a large wall hanging mirror to sell and wondering if foam sheet are much better than bubble wrap) 

Message 10 of 15
See Most Recent

Both. Use everything you can and wrap it in bubble wrap, foam, card, inside a box and then box again. I hold my breath everytime I sell a mirror as they are not insured against damage so you can be out of pocket by the item and postage.

Message 11 of 15
See Most Recent

Thank you for providing me some good tips/links, i am a bit overwhelmed but gotta start somewhere anyway. very impressed peple are supportive on this forutm. 

Message 12 of 15
See Most Recent

Ah both, (and everything else) I totally understand, I shouldn't be cheap on packaging! 

Would you please recommend me a store of two where you bought those foam (foam sheet?) 

Message 13 of 15
See Most Recent

@susapric-68 wrote:

I would avoid Evri. DPD damage boxes badly. Post office are ok but they will only compensate you what you paid for the painting and not what you sold it for. All i can think of is Yodel. But it's mainly down to delivery drivers so it will vary area to area

Yodel are bad, they damaged a laptop quite badly and then refused to pay out because it was a laptop. So I wouldn't even bother with Yodel for anything valuable.

Royal Mail is probably the best bet though they only accept up to 61cm x 46cm, not sure if your item is outside of these requirements, if it is then Parcelforce could be an option.

If you provide proof of the items value then RM will compensate you, I previously had to claim on RM for loss, provided the order details page on eBay as proof of value and they compensated to either that amount, or the maximum that the service provides, whatever is the lesser amount.

As mentioned, definitely don't use Evri. UPS may be OK? But whatever you do, package it well enough so that it can withstand pretty much anything thrown at it!

Message 14 of 15
See Most Recent

Just to add I generally use either Parcelforce or Evri and haven't had any problems with either.

If it's packed sufficiently, it should be fine.

Message 15 of 15
See Most Recent