Tracked 48 available at a post office?

HI, my post office ( it isn't a main post office by the way and in N Ireland )....still says it cannot do over the counter tracked 48 - only accepting ones as before where the postage has already been bought online. They are saying they don't expect ever to get it? Is this the case with all post offices / sub P Offices does anyone know? or have some people been able to get them done ( from scratech at a post office ) - I do drop and go and used to do signed for but want to change to tracked 48 but want the Post office to do the tracked 48 as they did signed for. Thanks all 

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

It depends on the Post Office

My local sub post office (England) does Tracked 24/48 over the counter and pre-paid but it depends on the contract they have 

Its cheaper to buy online postage anyway! 

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

thanks
Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

Royal Mail New price valid from 2 April is SCAM.

View our Post Office price guide says: UK Tracked shoud be at Post office.

But, all my local Post office  (included Main High Sreet) confirmed: "it NEVER exist on the system".

So, they advise (if people need cover more than £20), and many peaple do: £12.75 Special delivery service.

TWICE more expensive and cannot be compared with ANY... DPD, UPS, etc.

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

Its not a scam, negotiations broke down between the PO and RM on the 28th march over commission payments. You would have thought that they would have been in place prior, but obviously not.

To be clear, this service should be available to ALL post offices, once matters have been resolved and I am led to believe that will be sooner rather than later. The post office screens do not show the service as at present they cannot sell it or offer it, they only appear once a service or offering becomes available.

Sadly at present though you are correct that due to the changes in insurance on signed for being reduced to £20 cover it is either that or SD By 1. However if your post office is on the ball they can also offer DPD some Evri and also Parcelforce which offer different levels of insurance than the basic £750 of special delivery. 

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

@cinderella*uk wrote:

View our Post Office price guide says: UK Tracked shoud be at Post office.

It doesn't; that's Royal Mail's price guide (Post Office Limited has been a separate company since 2012). There is a mention that Express48 (a Parcelforce service) is only available in certain Post Office branches and to check availability first. Nowhere can I see where it states Tracked services are available at a PO counter in that price list.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

Thanks for the answer.
But perhaps this will not be news to you: the majority of the country’s population DOESN’T KNOW (or, moreover, does not want to know at all) about some negotiations somewhere out there.

FACT:
Royal Mail OFFICIALLY offered this service: they printed a million brochures with these prices and sent them to everyone in the post office.
But, as it turned out, they have not provided this service for 7 DAYS - THIS IS A FRAUD.

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

Are you reading something that isn't there?
No problem, I can help you:
Below on the Royal Mail website Royal Mail writes, I quote:
https://www.royalmail.com/current-postage-prices

View our online price guide Opens in a new windowpdf, 3.1 MB
View our Post Office price guide Opens in a new windowpdf, 3.85 MB
So, please see: View our (Royal Mail Post office prices) Post Office price guide.
Kind regards

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

@4_bathrooms  think its page 5 (well it is on the printed version i have in front of me)

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

Yes, "Royal Mail Tracked®" was advertised both, ONLINE and IN THE Post office BROCHURE:

" Post Office Price Guide"

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Ask at your post office again in a couple of weeks. Seems that there are, as a minimum, some delays in getting the Tracked services up and running at POs.

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

The question is that for MORE than 8 days (!!???!!) no one from Royal Mail has said whether they are trying to solve this problem or this is HOW IT SHOULD BE?

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

@tommystrezures wrote:

@4_bathrooms  think its page 5 (well it is on the printed version i have in front of me)

It has the prices for Tracked services on page 5 but it doesn't state Tracked services can be purchased at a Post Office counter. You can purchase Tracked services online and pay the extra surcharge for Small Parcel and above which allows the item to be dropped off at a Post Office counter.

Also, as I understand it Post Office Limited are the ones being difficult. I don't really blame them; they only get paid a token amount which is probably why you now have to pay a surcharge when you buy Tracked online and want to take the item to a PO counter. Don't forget they recently entered into arrangements with Evri and DPD and now they are being asked to offer a rival service they will likely get compensated a lot less for.

Personally, I can't see the point of buying Tracked online and taking it to a PO counter much less buying Tracked at a PO counter even if/when they offer it. You can purchase exactly the same service from Royal Mail online or via eBay cheaper and the postie will even collect it for free. I'm no fan of Royal Mail but whether you purchase online or at a PO counter you're still buying the same service; you're just paying more for it at the counter.

Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

@cinderella*uk wrote:

Are you reading something that isn't there?

It isn't there; nowhere does it state you can buy Tracked services at a Post Office counter. You can purchase Tracked services online and pay a surcharge that allows you to drop the item off at a Post Office counter. So, you can buy a Tracked service directly from Royal Mail and pay a bit extra for the added inconvenience of dropping the item off at a Post Office counter. 

As pointed out; Royal Mail and the Post Office are separate companies. Maybe you should ask your local Post Offices why they put a price list up for services they don't actually offer? Royal Mail may have printed the leaflet but it's the Post Office who chose to display it. Well, unless Postman Pat has a sinister side (well, the villains in films always own cats).

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

@myriad*seller wrote:

My local sub post office (England) does Tracked 24/48 over the counter and pre-paid but it depends on the contract they have 

Is it the contract or is it whether the sub-postmaster is a union member or not?

@myriad*seller wrote:

Exactly!

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

No problem, I can help you more if you can not see it:
Below on the Royal Mail website Royal Mail writes,
https://www.royalmail.com/current-postage-prices

THEY (not me) HIGHLIGHTED IT IN RED:

View our online price guide Opens in a new window pdf, 3.1 MB
Please see here online price as says on the tin.

View our Post Office price guide Opens in a new window pdf, 3.85 MB
Please see here the Post Office price as says on the tin.

Post Office price - you pay in the Post office.

Online price - you pay Online.
Online prices are different than Post Office prices.
You will get the post office price - In the Post Office ONLY.

So, they call it in RED HIGHLIGHT:

View our Post Office price guide Opens in a new window pdf, 3.85 MB

Any questions, just ask.

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

@cinderella*uk wrote:

Post Office price - you pay in the Post office...

...You will get the post office price - In the Post Office ONLY.

That is not correct; Post Office prices do not indicate the service must be paid for or even involve a Post Office counter (helpful highlighting added). For example, if I purchase stamps from somewhere other than a PO counter - including from Royal Mail's website or an authorised seller like Staples - it is the Post Office price list that applies when I send it; it doesn't matter if I take it to a PO counter or drop it in a letterbox or parcel postbox.

And as stated; it is the Post Office's fault you can't purchase Tracked services at the counter. Royal Mail and the Post Office agreed terms (I admit to not knowing whether in writing or principle) where the service would be available. However, the union that represents sub-postmasters decided they weren't happy with the terms their employer had agreed - because they wanted more money for doing it (remuneration) - so have refused to offer the service until the terms are renegotiated. The sub-postmasters at the Post Offices you have tried to purchase Tracked services from are likely NFSP members - maybe you should try holding up signs in big red writing accusing them of committing fraud and being scammers or...whatever.

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

@myriad*seller wrote:

If you buy postage online and take it to the post office, you have to pay more

Only if you have your parcel collected it's cheaper

*If you want to make enemies, try to change something - Woodrow Wilson
*It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change - Charles Darwin
Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

You only have to pay more if you are buying Tracked 24 or Tracked 48 online and taking it to the Post Office. If you buy 1st or 2nd class (including Signed For) or Special Delivery it is cheaper to buy online and there isn't a surcharge to drop it off at the Post Office.

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

Our village PO said they have been a number complaining RM 24/48 pick ups 

being missed. But like any area / courier the same may apply. 

Astronomy is looking up
Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent