Tracked 48 available at a post office?

HI, my post office ( it isn't a main post office by the way and in N Ireland )....still says it cannot do over the counter tracked 48 - only accepting ones as before where the postage has already been bought online. They are saying they don't expect ever to get it? Is this the case with all post offices / sub P Offices does anyone know? or have some people been able to get them done ( from scratech at a post office ) - I do drop and go and used to do signed for but want to change to tracked 48 but want the Post office to do the tracked 48 as they did signed for. Thanks all 

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Tracked 48 available at a post office?

@4_bathrooms wrote:

@myriad*seller wrote:

It depends on the Post Office

My local sub post office (England) does Tracked 24/48 over the counter and pre-paid but it depends on the contract they have 

Is it the contract or is it whether the sub-postmaster is a union member or not?

@myriad*seller wrote:

Its cheaper to buy online postage anyway! 

Exactly!

Not sure to be honest, but I certainly have used it in the last 3 weeks from my local sub PO which is in a retail premises (and open 7 days a week as a result!!) 

Message 21 of 25
See Most Recent

My delivery postie collects it when they deliver my letters/parcels

Message 22 of 25
See Most Recent

Interestingly I was just creating a dummy request on the Royal Mail website for 24 Tracked and 48 Tracked and when I got to the Sender step there was the below message.

"Sorry!

Our free collection service is currently unavailable at the moment, but don't panic, branch drop off is free for all services."

Sure enough where it normally shows you the fee to drop the 24 Tracked and 48 Tracked parcels at the Post Office it does say free.

Message 23 of 25
See Most Recent

@barry.110 wrote:

You only have to pay more if you are buying Tracked 24 or Tracked 48 online and taking it to the Post Office.

Correct; it's a recent oddity. Until very recently it was possible to buy (non-account) Tracked online and take it to a PO counter without being surcharged. I suspect the recently introduced surcharge is in part due to the current wrangling by the NFSP.

Tracked services used to be account only; if a retail customer wanted a service with tracking they had to purchase Special Delivery. Royal Mail then introduced non-account Tracked services that could be dropped off at a PO counter; non-account Tracked has different terms to account Tracked due to the statutory rights consumers have. For example, account Tracked only offers compensation for "actual loss" and requires the recipient to state in writing they haven't received the item even if the tracking indicates the item has been lost. Non-account Tracked offers compensation for "market value" and doesn't require the recipient to state they haven't received their item in writing. There are other differences but other than the price and terms account Tracked and non-account Tracked are treated the same within RM's delivery network.

The National Federation of Subpostmasters (the union) wanted non-account Tracked to be available at the counter. This is likely because once people realised they could buy Tracked online - which is a cheaper and superior service to Special Delivery - many PO customers stopped buying SD at the counter. It seems the agreement was in place for this to happen but the NFSP decided their members should be paid more than the company (Post Office Ltd) was offering for each item they process. I can see their point; if someone buys their postage from Royal Mail online and takes the item to the PO counter the subpostmaster likely receives some token amount of a few pence; I certainly wouldn't like to work for nothing!

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 24 of 25
See Most Recent

Just back for my local Sub Post Office also in N.Ireland. Had 2 parcels I wished to post UK TRACKED 48. Sorry ONLINE SERVICE ONLY  applies at ALL Post Office even MAIN was reply. Showed pricing guide which didn’t state. Told Icould get a CODE if I went on line and bring to them and they would sort. I pointed out I had no printer so this solves. Just also off phone to Royal Mail, apparently Counter Service for UK TRACKED 48 withdrawn at present and hope to have restored soon, not so sure it was ever available 🙈🙈🙈🙈NOT SATISFACTORY AT ALL😡😡😡😡😡

Message 25 of 25
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: