Those normal everyday cutlery knives you eat your dinner with about to be prohibited by Royal Mail

Seen this whilst logging into Click and Collect.

Message from Royal Mail: "IMPORTANT NOTICE: on and from Monday 22 April 2024 Bladed Items are prohibited by Royal Mail"

A click on the link suggests they mean the standard ones you use when eating - so the ones you use to push your peas onto your fork. (Also prohibited are other really sharp and big things you shouldn't be carrying with you when you go shopping).

It goes on to say: "Bladed items UK - Not allowed in the mail"

Could be a bit of a bind for those that sell vintage cutlery sets and the like.

Not sure what rules other couriers have.

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Those normal everyday cutlery knives you eat your dinner with about to be prohibited by Royal Mail

It's due to the Offensive Weapons Act which was tightened last year. As per Government guidance (referencing the Criminal Justice Act 1988 which is used to define a "knife" in the OWA):

"The 1988 Act does not provide legal definitions of these items, so the words carry their normal meanings. This means, for example, that an item that would commonly be described as a knife would be considered as such for the purposes of the legislation."

Virtually all knives and most other things that could be described as having a "blade" are covered by the act. In most cases sellers are required to age verify the buyer during purchase and in almost all cases during delivery. Royal Mail's standard services do not provide age verification on delivery; their AV service is an optional add-on. It's the same with couriers. 

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Butter knife.....................no go

Butter curler/spreader.................ok

It's called playing at "silly b*****s "

Photobucket

"Take deep breaths, it'll soon be gone"

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

peturning
Conversationalist

Extremely silly. I take it this is going to apply to razor blades etc as well then?

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

@missdollydaydream wrote:

Butter knife.....................no go "

I have toasting forks listed. These are fine to post.

Given a weapon of choice, I fancy my chances with a toasting fork against a butter knife any day.

"En garde" !!

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

I could easily Parry your moves with my dull rounded tip Childrens safety scissors!  (transport of sharp scissors  are specifically  prohibited by Royal Mail after 22 April 2024).

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

I expect the block paving firms will do well when people can't buy lawn mowers because of the blade!

And what about my cieling fan? It needs a new blade.

Can grass seeds be sent through the post? After all, they are not yet blades.

Photobucket

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Do Royal Mail plan to X-ray every parcel looking for blades?

Otherwise how will they know I have posted my Swiss army pen knife to someone?

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Otherwise how will they know I have posted my Swiss army pen knife to someone?

eBay will tell em! 😀

Photobucket

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

I did wonder why the eBay applet on iPad and iPhone now has access to the microphone and any internal ring cameras 😆

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Blame the sailboat industry.  They've had enough of people with easy access to  propellor blades and paddle blades. Its a sailly decision.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Whilst the changes come from a good place, unfortunately none of these measures will stop the terrible things from happening.

I am not even sure how they will monitor/police it. 

I suspect taking away the tools will just make people more creative, and the dark web has a more efficient online purchasing and delivery system than we can ever hope to achieve here on ebay!