Sold an item as under warranty - issue

I sold a console and mentioned it was under warranty from checking the serial. Everything went fine, week later buyer said he was happy still, but he wants a receipt for warranty purpose. I don't have it as I bought it from a reseller when the item was released. Not sure where I stand with this, am I screwed?

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Hi

This is difficult in my opinion because your buyer may have paid more for the item on the basis it was still under warranty.    Also warranties are not always transferable from a manufacturer and often only apply to the original purchaser.

I think you will have to be honest with your buyer and try and come to a solution that is mutually acceptable.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Thanks, hoping to hear back from him. I sold it less than asking price because I wanted a quick sale too.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

I can't see that either of your two recent sales mentioned a warranty in the description, where did you mention this?

Did you check beforehand that the warranty was transferable and what evidence the buyer would need to enforce it?

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

I just mentioned the device was under warranty, I mentioned it was fixed recently and when that happened I just provided the serial number for asus which was enough. I have the emails still, but now the buyer is asking for a receipt.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

You have emails from asus that confirm the serial number is enough?  Can you redact those and provide them to the buyer as evidence?

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Well no email per se, but to rma it you have to provide serial number and then date of purchase which I did. I never had to send receipt. They came and collected and then fixed it.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Personally, I don't state that an item is under warranty with the manufacturer/distributor unless I know their warranty procedure inside out and am certain that I can provide / the buyer will already have everything required to submit a warranty claim. Most manufacturers require original proof of purchase, which I won't have, so I don't say anything about any warranty.

If being very strict, if you said the item was under manufacturer warranty and you can't provide the buyer with the details needed to support a manufacturer warranty claim (e.g. original proof of purchase), then you might have to allow the buyer to return the item. If the buyer is concerned about the lack of enforceable warranty then I think it might be easier to allow a return than argue with the buyer otherwise.

Hopefully you will be able to provide the buyer with enough information that they're satisfied they will be able to make a warranty claim if needed.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

I get that, I didn't think of receipt as I had an issue and sent it without a receipt and thought nothing of it. I guess I have to do a return, he hasn't replied back but going out of pocket selling this.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

I have another issue in that the guy isn't responding, last thing I want him to do is keep it and then weeks later ask for a refund.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: