Seller performance warning, false reasons

I have recently received the message that my seller performance has fallen below standard and if I do not improve i'll essentially be sanctioned and may have limits and increased fees.

Ive been on Ebay maybe 14 years, the majority of my feedback is great, saying great items, fast postage, well packed, its rare i get an unhappy buyer. Ive never has this issue. My feedback is 99.4%.

The only neutral feedback I have which I think are 3 are from buyers who claim something was broken in the post, but never contacted me so I never has the opportunity to fix this and one that is just flat out lies of something being used and dirty that was brand new. Before that I think there may have been one 6 months before because the item didnt fit them, even though all measurements were on the listing..... non of these issues did I have an opportunity to fix because they were either made up problems or the buyer never contacted me.

So no issues of repeat problems with my selling.

When I looked at the seller dashboard the reasons Ebay are giving for doing this are completey false.

They are saying I have 10% late dispatchess in Dec, a large amount for about 300 items over Dec /Nov. When I looked at the items, non of them were dispatched late, all were dispatched on time, non are marked as buyer saying they arrived late, all are marked as tracking shows late dispatch. My dispatch window is set to 4 working days and every single one of those parcels was dropped off at the post office within 4 working days using tracked 48.

I have noticed in December that some tracked 48 parcels were taking 8 days to be delivered, same for the start or Jan. Obviously i dont control this, Ebay know this and can see i posted everything within the 4 days. This is the only thing I can think is causing the late dispatch strikes.

They are also saying i cancelled 6 items due to no stock in December, which is also false. I cancelled two items only due to my husband accidentally taking an Ebay bag to charity.

There were alot of items cancelled at buyers requests as it seems a trend at the moment to bid and then request to retract the bid or request to cancel once the item ends. Getting quite sick of it to be honest along with the bidders who messaage at the end to say theyll be paying in one to two weeks.

Every single one of these that the buyer asked to cancel had 'buyer requested to cancel' selected as the reason for the cancelation, so i genuinely cannot understand why Ebay are showing 6 items as me saying theyre out of stock. I can see 4 showing up as i canceled them due to no stock which is not correct. I 100% did not select that as the reason for cancellation. its absolute rubbish even though i selected the appropriate reason that this is being shown differently in my stats causing me to get threatened by Ebay now.

Im so angry and confused at how they've come to this conclusion, ive checked and double checked everything and their numbers are completely wrong. All i can think is this is a great way for Ebay to get more money out of people.

As a result Im no longer getting reduced listing fee offers, and when i sell items at a few pounds i cannot afford to list at full fee price, so not much opportunity to raise my seller standard.

I let a few items relist and run to try remedy this.

Ive checked my dash and it says im still below average, but that my next review is Feb 20 and if they reviewed me today Id be above standard. Does this mean the few sales Ive had this month and delayed feedback from buyers in December thats trickling in has brought my seller standard back up and Ill be ok again?

Ive got so much stuff to sell from clearouts that im stuck with right now and really need to make the money, this has really hit me hard.

Ive been busting my back side getting all these items listed, well packed, dispatched for peanuts to then get this. All Ebay would have to do is look at my feedback to see this is nonsense.

Is there any point in me trying to reach out to Ebay to ask them to see sense and actually look at the tracking info poperly to see I dispatched everything on time?

Its frustrating i have to deal with this with all the shady stuff Ebay do.

Ebay has been giving estimated delivery dates that were before the 4 working day dipatch window was even finished, which confused me as i double checked my settings and it is set to 4 working days, so how do they calculate something to arrive before this period is even up? It means I would have had to dispatch next day essentially the minute the buyer paid to meet this target, which I can't do.

Also they have let buyers open INR cases within 3 days of paying when theyve paid on a weekend and postage method chosen is tracked 48, so they pay on Saturday, I dispatch Monday, but by Monday / Tuesday Ebay have let them open a INR case, which absoolutely baffled me. Again still have the 4 working day dispatch window set and tracked 48 as my listed delivery method.

They've let buyers open INR cases before the date of the unrealistic arrival dates they dole out too. I tried to discuss these issues and was absoltely stonewalled and told its my problem.

Ebay is also allowing buyers to open INR cases when the tracking shows item delivered with a photo of it being pushed through the letter box or literally handed to them. Of course when this happens Ive had money put on hold essentially meaning I did not receive any money for items later sold and have to pay out of my own pocket to give something away, just hoping i'll get it back. Had to wait over a week on average, sometimes longer to get it sorted and told I have to escalate the case to Ebay before the buyer does, having to sit up until midnight to do so otherwise it will automatically refund them and then ill have to appeal, but half the customer service agents deny appeal is even an option. 

Whats the point in uploading tracking info that clearly shows item as delivered on the website, but then allows a INR case to be opened?

Its just stupidly stressful all round lately, but I dont know a selling alternative and like I said, really need this stuff sold and the money.

I dont see much hope in trying to discuss the latest problem of the false seller rating claims with Ebay.

Anyone have any advice to get ahead of this? Id be grateful as im at a loss, Done everything right but still in this situation.

I send everything tracked aswell.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 16
See Most Recent
15 REPLIES 15

Only thing to do is to contact eBay Customer Services who can see your account and help you here.

To Contact Customer Services it's a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back. Click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. aand 6 p.m.

Message 2 of 16
See Most Recent

A waste of time.  CS don't have the power and won't help in a situation like this. 

Message 3 of 16
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

It sounds like most of your issues relate to dispatch/postage.

You say your dispatch time is 4 working days and you dispatch on time. Now, I would say that these days taking up to 4 days to dispatch would be considered quite slow dispatch. Tracked 48 is normally very reliable at 2 or 3 days, so you are looking at a week from purchase to delivery best case. But longer at Christmas etc. I think most buyers expect items to arrive sooner than that these days.

That may be the root of your problems. Would you be able to commit to 2 day dispatch? If there are reasons that you wouldn't be able to do that then I do wonder whether selling on eBay is something that is suitable for you, if the metrics reports are making you angry.

Message 4 of 16
See Most Recent

I think you've been a victim of the Christmas post & Ebay's estimated delivery dates.

You have nothing to lose by contacting Ebay as @tressygirl suggests. I've had most success early mornings as you usually get the Ireland team who know what they're doing.  Although the rating is for 'dispatch' it seems the system & buyers take it as the actual delivery date... it is something you could perhaps argue <nicely> with the team.

I have also noticed that Royal Mail's tracking sometimes does not update to delivered, or arrives late, so, to avoid the late defects what I have started doing is not adding the tracking to the system until it's delivered, but only if it's delivered on time.

It's not ideal, but I mark it as dispatched & message the buyer with the tracking number.

It is also worth considering to have items ending on a day/evening where you will be able to post out next day or day after <assuming buyers will pay quickly> as @rjwilmsi is correct I think in saying that these days most buyers want really fast delivery.

By using tracked 48, I think that buyers would assume the item to be posted quickly too.

You can also drop off pre-paid parcels in post boxes - you can find their locations on RM website which may be worth considering if there's one near to you or on your way out etc.

Message 5 of 16
See Most Recent

Buyers don't notice your dispatch times

They see 48 hour service and expect it to be with them in a 3/4 days, not 4 days plus 48 hours (basically a week later).

eBay don't want sellers dispatching so slowly, they know buyers want quick dispatch. eBay are encouraging you to speed up your dispatch to keep buyers happy. 

Message 6 of 16
See Most Recent

@rjwilmsi wrote:

You say your dispatch time is 4 working days and you dispatch on time. Now, I would say that these days taking up to 4 days to dispatch would be considered quite slow dispatch. Tracked 48 is normally very reliable at 2 or 3 days, so you are looking at a week from purchase to delivery best case. But longer at Christmas etc. I think most buyers expect items to arrive sooner than that these days.

That may be the root of your problems. Would you be able to commit to 2 day dispatch? If there are reasons that you wouldn't be able to do that then I do wonder whether selling on eBay is something that is suitable for you, if the metrics reports are making you angry.

But if eBay give an option on the dispatch/handling time to set it to 4 working days, then the estimated delivery dates (as well as the information given to the buyer) should take into account these 4 working days.

Not everyone is able to grab an item, wrap it up, and get it out the door the next working day (for a variety of different reasons).

And as for people suggesting putting the item in a parcel postbox - no, that is absolutely not suitable, because it doesn't give you proof of postage, meaning you can't claim to Royal Mail if the item is lost or damaged. Losses are rarer with Royal Mail than other couriers, but they can happen!

Message 7 of 16
See Most Recent

I wonder if it's just buyers marking as late when leaving feedback?

Message 8 of 16
See Most Recent

As all of them were scanned at a Post Office within your 4 day dispatch time, eBay must be disregarding your settings. Their dynamic EDD calculation is tripping itself up here by the sounds of it. If customer service won't manually strike each defect off your account you could raise this in the eBay live chat on Wednesday. 

Message 9 of 16
See Most Recent

Your current listing says items will be delivered on Thursday onwards if I bought them today (Sunday)

This is why buyers think the items are late and are marking you down

eBay are giving unrealistic delivery times or your dispatch times are not being noted.

You would need to post on Monday/early Tuesday for the item to be delivered Thursday, if I bought it today

Message 10 of 16
See Most Recent

I can see 4 showing up as i canceled them due to no stock which is not correct. I 100% did not select that as the reason for cancellation. its absolute rubbish even though i selected the appropriate reason that this is being shown differently in my stats causing me to get threatened by Ebay now.

If you cancel for any reason other than 'Buyer asked to cancel' you will receive a defect.  I know - I refunded two transactions for the reason 'Item not received' and one for 'Buyer returned item' and got three defects.  Now, I never, ever, refund unless the buyer opens an INR or a return.

There are threads about this unjust imposition of defects on the Business and the Experienced Sellers boards.  However, Marco confirmed that if you use any reason other than 'Buyer asked to cancel' you will receive a defect.  Be warned.  Never refund outside a case for an INR or a return.

Message 11 of 16
See Most Recent

@dougbat20 wrote:

@rjwilmsi wrote:

But if eBay give an option on the dispatch/handling time to set it to 4 working days, then the estimated delivery dates (as well as the information given to the buyer) should take into account these 4 working days.

Not everyone is able to grab an item, wrap it up, and get it out the door the next working day (for a variety of different reasons).

And as for people suggesting putting the item in a parcel postbox - no, that is absolutely not suitable, because it doesn't give you proof of postage, meaning you can't claim to Royal Mail if the item is lost or damaged. Losses are rarer with Royal Mail than other couriers, but they can happen!

Just to clarify my comment made in post 5 for anyone that may read this at some point... this was made regarding having bought the postage online from Royal Mail. 

This gives you email proof of postage from which you can claim compensation with.

However, I have contacted RM CS to double-check re tracked 48 & they have also stated that RM do not advise that tracked mail is posted in a postbox as it won't get a scan in to the network. 

Personally, I drop them off at the sorting office, but due to their reduced opening hours, & as of this week, also a reduction in staff, I had been eyeing up a parcel box in town in case the service is removed altogether. It's still an option, but perhaps not my first choice.

<This is regarding a non-business account / private seller so it may be different for a business.>

Message 12 of 16
See Most Recent

" Marco confirmed that if you use any reason other than 'Buyer asked to cancel' you will receive a defect.  Be warned.  Never refund outside a case for an INR or a return.  "

I think it's still the case if you cancel citing Problem with Buyer's Address,  this too does not bring about a defect for the seller's account.

Message 13 of 16
See Most Recent

Tracked 24 and 48 can now be handed in at a PO.  If the label is purchased from eBay and it's posted on time, any late defect should be removed (takes a couple of weeks).  Agree about not putting it in a postbox.  A T48 despatched to me via a postbox wandered around the network for eight weeks before it arrived.

I think the @rjwilmsi comment about metrics making the seller angry is rather unfair.  As I read the post, it's unwarranted defects that are causing the anger.

These defects also make me angry.  I refund for an INR - knowing that the item will arrive shortly and the buyer will get a freebie - and I get two defects.  I receive screwed up, completely unsaleable, ribbon though the post.  No return raised, no message.  Nevertheless I refund in full - and get a defect.  I think that's just cause for anger, particularly when Marco confirms it's 'working as designed'.

Message 14 of 16
See Most Recent

That's good to know.  Also true.  The problem with the buyer's address is that the buyer lives there!

Message 15 of 16
See Most Recent

@dougbat20 wrote:

@rjwilmsi wrote:

Parcel postboxes only really exist in big city centres I have noticed, where I live there is 1 parcel postbox within about a 20 sq. mile area... and it's in the sort of place you would expect people to be vomiting/throwing rubbish into said postbox.

If you put a Tracked item (parcel or letter/LL) in any postbox in theory it's meant to be scanned when it is taken to the sorting office 

Message 16 of 16
See Most Recent