Royal Fail (Mail) Imminent job losses

To all our postmen, especially if you sell on any platform!

Apart from destroying a sound British istitution you are also destroying many small businesses.

So many members here on e-bay UK are suffering gross financial losses due to your unreliability and greed.

You have lost Royal Mail company millions again this year so here is my solution.

STOP Saturday collections and deliveries. ie no more overtime and a fortune saved in fuel.

STOP (Immediately) delivering on behalf of your competitors. 

Let them take their own vans to the Highlands and Islands, I-O-M & I-O-W etc.

STOP sitting on all the sacks of mail at heathrow. (Kick some ar*es)

I have had 5 items sent on the same day, still there after a year. OMG!

Are we looking at yet another price increase anytime soon?

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@exponential_developments wrote:

Footsoldiers went on strike though when the company wasn't in a position of strength, ie growing competition in a srinking market.

The whole lot have been ridiculous, the managment, delivery staff, sorting offices, even the cat..

If a business is failing they blame the workforce, if it is succeeding then they credit the management. If you embrace this then you are a part of the problem. If RM achieve their goal of rewriting their legal obligations then it won't fail as a business, it will just cherry pick its most profitable services & everyone else can go to hell.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Should be Royal E.R.M Mail.

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

First world is becoming the third.

Third world is becoming the first.

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

@forum_viewing_page wrote:

To all our postmen,

I object to your insinuation that this is all the fault of the footsoldiers.

RM's problems began when your government sold it off and have since been compounded by the boardroom & certain shareholders.

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

Footsoldiers went on strike though when the company wasn't in a position of strength, ie growing competition in a srinking market.

The whole lot have been ridiculous, the managment, delivery staff, sorting offices, even the cat..

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

@exponential_developments wrote:

If a business is failing they blame the workforce, if it is succeeding then they credit the management. If you embrace this then you are a part of the problem. If RM achieve their goal of rewriting their legal obligations then it won't fail as a business, it will just cherry pick its most profitable services & everyone else can go to hell.

Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

IT certainly isn't the postmen at fault, and I object to that. RM has had problems for years, much of which was in part caused by the last CEO, Simon Thompson who thankfully stepped down last year. It was him that refused to discuss the pay deals and also at that time knowingly was telling his board etc that letters should not be prioritised etc. I mean what CEO gets called up to the commons select committee twice? (I think that was a first by anyone).

Another issue is staffing, for what ever reason RM cannot employ enough posties at the moment, our sorting office is currently down three postpeople. We had one join our Sorting office last month, and only lasted a day as he said he got too wet in the rain.... 

Also during the Covid Pandemic, our Postmen and lady were some of our heroes looking after us all, knocking on doors to make sure vulnerable people were ok. They were and are a backbone to our community. Perhaps we are lucky where we live, but our posties double up on rounds when possible to ensure mail is delivered everyday.

Royal Mails problems  stem from a loss making side of the business eg letters/large letters such as I am typing this now electronically instead of sending you all a letter about this thread! I also think personally they were very slow to get in to the parcel market, and many of the couriers eg Evri, Dpd etc stole a march on them by offering a more competitive rate and had put a better infrastructure in place to deal with parcels.

Finally yes we may well have price increases soon, generally its every year around April, but please bear in mind Royal Mails pricing for a first and second class letter in many cases still 20% cheaper than the rest of Europe. 

Personally, I think they should look at adopting what Finland and other European nations have done and drop second class service altogether  and standardise it thus that its a two day delivery on all letters/large letters, and drop the next day pressures or the 3-4 day service of 2nd class.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

"The whole lot have been ridiculous, the managment, delivery staff, sorting offices, even the cat.."

Which part of that sentence are you struggling with?

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

Don't attack the posties and the staff in general. None of this is their fault.

For what it's worth I still find RM service to be excellent and always choose to use it but clearly it is in a very fragile state thanks to what has happened to them.

I wasn't happy when Jo Swinson and her blue friends privatised the Royal Mail either but they did and people voted for them to do so despite it obviously being a ludicrous thing to do. Countries generally need and generally have a state run postal service, the UK seems to think it is different.

Just like so many things if Royal Mail is in a mess you should know where to point the finger and it definitely isn't at the worker.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

@ian_w42 wrote:

I wasn't happy when Jo Swinson and her blue friends privatised the Royal Mail either but they did and people voted for them to do so despite it obviously being a ludicrous thing to do. Countries generally need and generally have a state run postal service, the UK seems to think it is different.

It goes like this, you sink taxpayer money in to the original nationalised version, then you privatise it, Sid the taxpayer tries to get in on the act under the illusion the service will remain the same or (as promised) improve, but of course it goes to pieces because there's no will any more to invest long term, so you re-nationalise meaning the taxpayer (en masse) buys back what was already paid for twice by this point. Wait until the unions or other regulatory pressures on the re-nationalised industry get too high, and bingo - re-privatise, "leaner, meaner, trimming the fat" (though I don't think they could use that last phrase any more). Taxpayers get to buy the same thing back a fourth time!

Weird thing is, the same types profit off both the "power to the people" and "agile, modernised private enterprise" versions, and it ain't thee and me. Nor the postie with backache delivering in the rain at 7am on a January morning.

If you still think any of this is about ideologies or party loyalties, I have a rather large bridge to sell you, complete with free next-day shipping anywhere in the solar system...

@forum_viewing_page wrote:

STOP Saturday collections and deliveries. ie no more overtime and a fortune saved in fuel.

STOP (Immediately) delivering on behalf of your competitors. 

Let them take their own vans to the Highlands and Islands, I-O-M & I-O-W etc.

You're not wrong on those points! 👍

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

It was very obviously ideological. Small state nonsense, sell off everything they can.

Even the Americans, the absolute champions of unbridled capitalism would look at you as if you are crazy if you proposed selling off USPS but Jo Swinson and her blue pals did exactly that. Sold it off on the cheap even, look at it now...

You have to remember that people let them do this, it was a stupid plan then and it remains a very stupid thing that someone is going to have to reverse.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

There hasn't been capitalism since before 1913, even then it wasn't in its true form, but there was price descovery.

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

I rarely have problems with Royal Mail.

In 15 years of using them I have lost one parcel.

The posties need to live and are forced to go on strike to keep up their wages with inflation.

Royal Mail also has to post to outward places and cant pick and choose where it delivers.

Being a post person is a hard job carrying weight and out in all weathers.

Not just anyone can do the job.

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

RM isnt the only carrier theres yodel,hermes or whatever they call themselves this week, DPD theres a host of rival companies out there vieing for your parcel.

how much business does the privatised R.M lose to the above rivals 

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent