Postage costs

As a seller, I have just had a problem with postage cost. The cost stated by eBay, once my item was sold (based on its dimensions I gave in my listing) was not sufficient. Once packaged up, the item was of course, larger and heavier than prior to packing. Postage was therefore significantly more expensive. I messaged the buyer and she requested cancellation of the purchase, which I completely understand. She was unable to cancel as a buyer as she had already paid eBay. I therefore had to cancel the transaction.

I hope I do not get penalised. 

How can this situation be avoided in the future? No seller would wrap up an item before it is sold. EBay's cost estimate should be not given until after the item is packaged up. How can I add the final dimensions and weight once the item has sold?

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Postage costs

If you are selling on ebay a set of digital kitchen scales and a tape measure are a must!

Weigh your item, plus the packaging you are going to use, measue the box, then use a courier or Royal Mail site to work out the postage. If unsure between 2 weight bands, charge for the higher one, you can always make a part refund if needs be after payment.

A good rule of thumb is ignore anything ebay tell you, work it out for yourself!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

Postage costs

And this is why i always take my items to a Post Office and never rely on Ebays recommendations.  One can also pick up a leaflet regarding RMs charges.

Whether you are penalised depends on what reason you gave for cancelling the sale.

What reason did you give?

Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

If you are selling on ebay a set of digital kitchen scales and a tape measure are a must!

Weigh your item, plus the packaging you are going to use, measue the box, then use a courier or Royal Mail site to work out the postage. If unsure between 2 weight bands, charge for the higher one, you can always make a part refund if needs be after payment.

A good rule of thumb is ignore anything ebay tell you, work it out for yourself!

Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@chemax_6833 wrote:

No seller would wrap up an item before it is sold. EBay's cost estimate should be not given until after the item is packaged up. How can I add the final dimensions and weight once the item has sold?

As you've discovered, factoring in the packaging is a must because this can take the postage price up an increment.

Many sellers do wrap items up before listing them, there's no reason not to.

Like @1956glyn , I've also taken packages to the Post Office to get an accurate postage cost before listing.

Sellers are responsible for working out their postage costs prior to selecting a postage price and method, eBay can't know what type of packaging is being used. 

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Hi Vyolla,

Thank you.

My sold item was a large framed art work. It took me a long time to package up safely, and it had been listed for a couple of months with little interest, so that's why I didn't wrap it up before listing!

When going through the listing process, is there a way to get eBay to not estimate postage cost the moment an item has sold? Can this be added later, once the item has sold?

If I choose not to use eBay's parcel labelling system but go to the Post Office and pay there, how can I ensure the buyer will pay the postage required? How can I let eBay know what I paid? And how therefore can I be sure I will get reimbursed?

Finally, I have read that 'Buyer chooses which courier to use'. How can they do this if they don't know the size or weight of the item after packing? The post office/couriers have different guidelines for posting parcels. 

Lots of queries! But any advice gratefully accepted!

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Hi 1956glyn,

Thank you.

The reason I gave for cancellation was 'Buyer requests cancellation'.

I will certainly not rely on eBay's calculations again!  If I take an item to the Post Office and pay postage there, instead of using eBay's parcel labelling system, how does eBay know how much I have paid? And how do I know the Buyer will agree to the postage cost? How do I get reimbursed?

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Thank you kempseykate.

To be sure I have tape measure and digital bathroom scales at the ready!

I am on a steep learning curve. I will certainly not rely on eBay's cost estimates.  I'm still not sure how  eBay is informed of the postage cost if I go to the Post office myself and pay there.  And do I just message the Buyer to tell them of postage costs prior to posting and ask them to reimburse me via eBay before/after posting? How do I prove costs? 

Lastly, as I have mentioned in replies to other kind advisors, eBay states on the listing 'Buyer chooses courier' . This is pointless as they don't  know dimensions/weight of the packaged item and different courier companies have differant guidelines for posting parcels.

Lots to learn!

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

@chemax_6833 wrote:

If I take an item to the Post Office and pay postage there, instead of using eBay's parcel labelling system, how does eBay know how much I have paid?

They don't know and don't need to know.

@chemax_6833 wrote:

And how do I know the Buyer will agree to the postage cost? 

You set the postage charge(s) for buyers when you create the listing.

@chemax_6833 wrote:

How do I get reimbursed?

You don't. The buyer pays you via the listing; they will pay whatever postage charge you specified. When the buyer purchases you then need to buy the postage label yourself. You can do this via eBay, via Royal Mail's website or at a Post Office counter.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

I have made this mistake before but it was my mistake for not really checking the dimensions/weight before listing so I just absorbed the cost difference and purchased the more expensive service.

It happens but the fact is you can't rely on eBay's estimates at all, consider carefully when listing and factor in the extra bulk and weight of packaging materials.

Also if using any auto-filled item details when listing be sure to check them over, be very aware that a lot are incorrect and while this feature can be convenient it is frequently wrong and does lead to INAD returns if you are not careful. These details do matter and a customer can use an incorrect item detail to claim INAD.

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

@ian_w42 wrote:

I have made this mistake before but it was my mistake for not really checking the dimensions/weight before listing so I just absorbed the cost difference and purchased the more expensive service.

It happens but the fact is you can't rely on eBay's estimates at all, consider carefully when listing and factor in the extra bulk and weight of packaging materials.

All sellers should consider the size and weight the item will be when packed. eBay does at least state "Package weight" and "Package dimensions" in the listing template with an optional checkbox for irregular packages. This information needs to be correct because if the buyer opens a return request those details will be used to determine the return service when eBay issues the return label. If a buyer can't return an item because the return label is unsufficient for the package the seller will usually be held liable.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Thank you so much for the advice. Very helpful

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Thank you very much. I am on a steep learning curve!

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

In addition to what has already been said about having a tape measure and a set of scales to hand in order to get an idea as to how much you expect the postage to cost, there is one other thing that you could do in order to get around the problem of being seen by potential buyers to be overcharging on postage.

When you list the item for sale decide on the price that you want for the item, having already made an estimate as to the postage costs, then add the two costs together.  Add on a bit more to compensate for eBay's fees, then once you have added all three figures together to get the grand total use that final figure as the asking price for the item, setting the listing up with free postage.  If you factor the postage costs into the asking price and also advertise the listing with free postage then not only will eBay automatically give you a five star rating with regards to postage, but the buyer will not be able to mark you down on the postage costs when leaving feedback, as the question "How reasonable were the postage costs?" would not appear under those circumstances.

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Hi m25jet,

What a great idea!  So simple and much less hassle.  I will take your advice.

Thankyou so much 😁

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Another very useful tool when just  starting off selling on eBay,  is to buy either from larger Post Offices or big stationers A ' Royal Mail item Size Guide'.

Either made from cardboard or plastic ,  it will give dimensions for letter,  large letter and small parcel size items.  So easy to get small and medium  parcels especially, mixed up. 

@chemax_6833 

Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Thank you tressygirl!  I will do this. I'm really most grateful for everyone's suggestions 

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

If thats the reason then no you should be ok and Ebay will not give you any defect (black mark) against your account and should also refund your selling fees.

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

I have always measured my items too and weighed them and 3 times now Packlink have charged me double the postage costs so I have ended up with next to nothing!   It's not worth the petrol and wrapping it takes when you end up with less than a pound an item !!   I have also found out that if you check the postage charges with the ACTUAL delivery website, very often the charges are higher on their websites for the same parcel, so either Packlink are ripping people off by pretending that the postage is less than it should be or the carriers are recharging back double the cost and there is no way you can challenge them so it is money for nothing for them to claim it was overweight or oversized !   In future I will not be using postage labels off eBay, I can't afford it, I am ending up out of ticket and have all the trouble of wrapping and travelling to take them to be collected by the carrier !   NOT ON !

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

I've done all that and still been overcharged by Packlink !   In my opinion they are a rip off organisation hoping that you will not challenge then when they recharge back for extra postage, since the parcel has already been delivered you cannot challenge them !   A good way to becoming a millionaire by ripping people off without any comeback.   Best thing I find is to weigh and measure, check on their web site and then re-check again when you get to the Post Office !   Forget using Packlink labels !

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

Postage costs

Best thing to do is to check on the carrier's website and upgrade to the next postage size and weight if there is a chance it will be slightly over !    I have come a cropper 3 times now by carrier's over charging me for postage after eBay recommended the postage based on THEIR size and weight of my parcel and it turned out to be incorrect compared to the carrier's website !

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent