Postage costs

As a seller, I have just had a problem with postage cost. The cost stated by eBay, once my item was sold (based on its dimensions I gave in my listing) was not sufficient. Once packaged up, the item was of course, larger and heavier than prior to packing. Postage was therefore significantly more expensive. I messaged the buyer and she requested cancellation of the purchase, which I completely understand. She was unable to cancel as a buyer as she had already paid eBay. I therefore had to cancel the transaction.

I hope I do not get penalised. 

How can this situation be avoided in the future? No seller would wrap up an item before it is sold. EBay's cost estimate should be not given until after the item is packaged up. How can I add the final dimensions and weight once the item has sold?

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

Postage costs

Yes ignore eBay stated selling costs for delivery when  listing your item.   I just checked an item for Royal Mail 48 hr tracked, eBay said for the size and weight of my item it would be £3.29.   Checked the Royal Mail website and the price was £4.99 !!!     I have been had several times for extra postage recharged to my account by Packlink.   In future I will be using external courier websites and doing the calculations myself and a good bit of advice is to take pictures of the size and weight of your parcel!   These delivery companies are quite cute at telling you AFTER the item has been delivered that it was over weight or oversize when I knew they were not!!!  Then I didn't have pictures, now I will !!

Message 21 of 21
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: