PC returned damaged and have been harassed with verbal abuse and threats

Having been a seller on ebay for over a decade, I always deal with buyers patiently and politely. In fact almost always goign beyond the call of duty, and am thanked regularly by buyers for this. Something ebay reps have even noted and vocalsed.

However just rrcently I have had to deal with a buyer unlike any previously but even here I have kept my composure and politeness up until the last message.

Prior to the sale the buyer had sent a whoel host of questions even general advice and I had (as always) diligantly and quickly responded and adressed everything. After helping him with everything he then suggested another selers item was cheaper (even though the item was marignally cheaper and an inferior specification clearly). I informed him I cannot price match that but he is welcome to purchase that if the spec is suitable. However he goes ahead and purchases mine.

As soon as he recieves it, without any contact he immeidately sends a very strong message and a returns is opened stating the item is (and im re-wording it politely) used rubbish. I of course take a look at it and reply back professionally and do re-assure that it can be returned for any reason and a pre paid returns label is provided. I also indicate that there is an error on my part as the listing should have indicated that the external case / chassis can be used/refurb but the ineternals are new and thats on us, apoogies. He then replies and says thats great, and that he is satisfied with that and has no intention of leaving any negative or anything now. 

However on return I find he has intentionally or out of no care, left out the internal packing and iterlly dumped the PC into the box. So it arrives literally in pieces, and I ahve to contact ebay not just because of this but the fact the label was purcahsed through ebay and thus they will deal with the transit damage.

The moment I do this, and ebay puts case on hold in order to sort out the damage and gets pics from me etc. He immeidately goes into full blown angry mode, leaving the defamatory feedback accusing me of intentionally trying to rip him off and denying him a refund etc. And then begins a torrent of verbal abuse, threats, accusations. I informed ebay and they suggested to message him and politely explain that its ebay process that ebay has to put it on hold and he has already got a refund for it. He does not cae and begins more abusive messages and accuses me of going to ebay without informing him. I indicated that I have been goign through a very tought time that week as y father had a stroke (heart attack) and I have literally only had barely enough time to deal with this and nothing else. He then takes the biscuit and replies to me taunting me about my father having a stroke and goes onto say its probabyly due to me ! And rounds it off with 'enjoy the feedback smiley face'.

I informed ebay about this and given it was all via messaging, I had them see it all and they verified what the buyer had done and that he had retaliated with feedback due to ebay putting case on hold as well. They also stated I had been extremely professonal and curtious through out and followed ebay procedure. However not only is he still on ebay they said they cant do anything about the feedback even with the above.

For the first time I feel so strongly about soemthing I told them I cannot let this go espcially after the verbal ause and more so the heartless way he spoke about the near death of my father and accused me of it. And requested they provide me with a compaints procedure, which they said ok to. However several days on I have had nothing and not sure how to proceed with this.

Is there any advice anyone has with regards to how to pursue such a matter please. Be it through ebay, and intermediary, or legally / authorities,

Thank you ! 🙏

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

This was a truly upsetting situation to have gone through. Personally,   as I judge my descriptions and photos to be 100% in the details for the items I am selling,  I'm happy to answer anything if something is misssed out,  but if a buyer starts asking more and more questions about an item , over and above a normal amount,  they go straight on my blocked buyers list,  which also blocks them from contacting me, and therefore no more questions to be answered.

You ask if there is anyone else to go to legally?  Name calling, abusive messages, personal attacks like the awful ones re your father is not a matter to take up legally, name calling of this type although totally unacceptable,  does not break the law.

However,  you did say threats?  Were these personal threats to your safety?  Then,  those you can print off and take to your local Police station as they will take this type of message with great seriousness.

Hopefully you've blocked them from returning?

See here:

Block the buyer here:

https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Good Afternoon Altaf

A very upsetting and out of order situation created by your buyer.  I can't see that there is anyrhing you can do apart from appealing to eBay and once again pointing out that you have a right to not expect this kind of distressing abuse.  Ask them to sanction your buyer in some way. You don't expext to be told just how but a reassurance that they will take some sort of action will make you feel better.

I agree with the wise words from TG. In the meantime I hope that your dad is recovering well and will soon be back home.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

I hope your father makes a full recovery.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

I am very sorry that your Dad has been unwell and I hope he recovers soon.

Abuse is never acceptable and thankfully, very rare.

Now on to the item you sold. The link for the negative feedback shows a gaming PC which is listed as new. Is this why you wrote that you had made a mistake in your listing? As the listing is still live.

If the buyer was correct about the PAT from 2019 and marks on it, then they are going to be angry if they thought they were buying a new unit. I think a lot of this could have been avoided if this is the case and the buyer probably wouldn't have purchased it.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

It sounds like you have done everything you reasonably could as a seller and the buyer turned out to be an absolute ****** (choose your own word there). Unfortunately you meet one of those every so often in life and in my experience the sooner you get away from them the better. It's not about you, it's about them and their terrible behaviour.

So all you can do really is wait for eBay to resolve the return (eBay should issue the refund at their cost - damage is due to buyer so isn't courier's fault nor your fault).

With multiple questions prior to purchase etc. I probably would have blocked the buyer before they could purchase. I am of course fine with buyers asking a couple of sensible questions prior to purchase decision, but some buyers are never going to be satisfied whatever you (are able to) answer or do for them, so are better off buying elsewhere and not being your problem.

The buyer's conduct after purchase sounds totally unreasonable. If the messages were threatening or you felt that the messages represented a threat to your safety then contact the police. If the messages were merely generally offensive and unpleasent then the police may decline to take any action, so you just have to let it go as soon as you can.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

FIrstly thank you so much for taking the tiem to read through the saga and also replyig so thoughtfully 🙏

You do indeed bring up a really good point that later crossed my mind but I was not sure if I ws over thinking it. I will definetly take on board that approach to blocking buyers if the manner or number questions feels off. This is sounds advise and would have saved me from the ensuing stress and trouble.

I think they knew what they were doing as they gave abuse but none that were directly violence or safety worrying. Just taunting, belittling, ill meaning and swearing etc. So from what you indicated it sounds very much like legally nothing can be done. Thank you for indicating this as it would have just been that much more horrid if I spent time and effort pursuing something only to find its a wte of time.

I do feel quite sad and dissappinted though that ebays response to it was 'some people can be like that sadly' and thats it. Especially as they clearly saw that he left the feedback due to them putting a hold on the case (which is nt in my control).

Thank you again ! 🤜

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Genuine heartfelt thank you 🙂

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Oh absolutely and as it was a genuine oversight, hence I immediately acknowledged it after they notified me.

Also I ended up ditching using the refurb / used cases and now use new ones Hence did not amend listing 🙏 

Also re-assured them it will be a full refund just return it safely with the pre-paid label i gave. But they just threw it into the box and left out all the packing. Setting it up to arrive in bits.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Absolutely, you sight the same wise words as the kind reply above. Its nothing I can do as they didnt threaten violence or alike. And with the soudns advice here I will sight that kidn of pre-sales messages as a red flag and block in future 🙂

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent