My ebay account name is different from my bank account name. Can't correct that when listing!

I have always used pseudonyms wherever possible online for privacy/security reasons, my ebay account (created in 2018) has been functioning perfectly as a buyer with my pseudonym Boris. Never had an issue, and have 100% positive feedback.

Now I have tried listing a used item for auction, and the "final step" is to provide bank account details. The form has boxes for account number and sort code, but the name is greyed out and uneditable. My bank account is of course under my real name and will not match my pseudonym.

Is there any point continuing trying to list this item? Will ebay be able to pay money into my bank with a pseudonym? I'd like to enter my real name on the bank details form, but it's uneditable. Why?

Please don't tell me I have to create a new ebay account with zero feedback just to sell a surplus used item.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My ebay account name is different from my bank account name. Can't correct that when listing!

"...I feel they should keep my full name to themselves and just show sellers my chosen name, so if anyone is trying to use my name of any nefarious purpose, they won't get too far as they don't have the official name. The less info I give out about myself, the better."

Absolutely. Good advice for everyone. This has been my policy since I first went online decades ago. For example, at that time, nobody had heard of automatic facial recognition systems, yet they are common now. You don't need to provide explicit permission, you just need to have tagged photos on social media. It's trivial to cross reference information from several different sources, should you put your mind to it. Black Mirror ...

Thanks for the help guys. I have created a new ebay account exclusively for selling.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Your bank account name has to exactly match the name your Ebay account is registered to, even down to a middle name/initial if you have one.

So, Ebay will not be able to pay you as you will not have set up a bank account to pay your funds into.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

https://accountsettings.ebay.co.uk/profile

Go here and you will be able to edit you personal details so that your name matches your bank account. I had used a nickname on my account, but had to change it when managed payments came into being.

It is a shame that we are not able to keep real names out of the public domain. I don't see why ebay can't have us verify our correct name, then be able to revert to a name of our choice.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Go to your My eBay>Personal information and see if you can change your registered name there.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Thank you for your replies.

A stolen credit card number cannot be used without the real name.

Would changing the name on my ebay account mean that I will now receive packages under my real name? That each vendor I deal with, anywhere in the world, will have a record of my purchase details, address, CC number, and real name?

No thanks!

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Yes, you will receive packages under your real name - you could change the name at checkout, though, so it won't show on the labels.

Sellers will still have access to your real name - ebay shows them the address to post to AND the buyer's registered address, which would have your real name on. Obviously access to your address, but they will have no access to your payment info, and won't even know which method you paid by.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

@bobu52 wrote:

Thank you for your replies.

Would changing the name on my ebay account mean that I will now receive packages under my real name? That each vendor I deal with, anywhere in the world, will have a record of my purchase details, address, CC number, and real name?

You can set your delivery name and address to any that you wish, your delivery address may be different from your eBay registered name and address (which must be correct).

Each vendor will have a record of what they've sold to you, they do not have access to your credit card number (you pay via eBay checkout and they send the payment to the seller's bank account).

I'm not sure what it is that you're worried about here?

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

The thing is though, sellers will still see the registered address, which will have the full name of the buyer. I only ever use my full name for official things. Ebay's not an official thing, so I feel they should keep my full name to themselves and just show sellers my chosen name, so if anyone is trying to use my name of any nefarious purpose, they won't get too far as they don't have the official name.

The less info I give out about myself, the better.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

"...I feel they should keep my full name to themselves and just show sellers my chosen name, so if anyone is trying to use my name of any nefarious purpose, they won't get too far as they don't have the official name. The less info I give out about myself, the better."

Absolutely. Good advice for everyone. This has been my policy since I first went online decades ago. For example, at that time, nobody had heard of automatic facial recognition systems, yet they are common now. You don't need to provide explicit permission, you just need to have tagged photos on social media. It's trivial to cross reference information from several different sources, should you put your mind to it. Black Mirror ...

Thanks for the help guys. I have created a new ebay account exclusively for selling.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent