Item collected by his courier and damaged now wants a refund

Put an antique grandfather clock on auction. Highest bidder won and arranged his courier. The carrier had specific instructions on packaging which I followed. The day after it was delivered the buyer made a claim that it had been damaged. He lodged a claim against the carrier, which was refused. His claim on the Cash back was refused by ebay. He has now lodged a diferent claim of "Not matching the description or photos" and "Item is defective" and now expects me to pay for the return and give a refund. He refuses to supply me with any evidence to support this claim. I need to be able to put my side of the issue, how do I do that?

Message 1 of 29
See Most Recent
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Want to defend a INAD claim against me

@4_bathrooms wrote:

@douglaspuglas wrote:

This reminds me of the posts from both buyer and seller in October about some collected dining chairs.

The buyer collected the chairs themself so they were still protected under eBay's Money Back Guarantee policy.

Yes but if it had been cash on collection eBay wouldn't have been able to refund them.

Message 21 of 29
See Most Recent

@douglaspuglas wrote:

@4_bathrooms wrote:

The buyer collected the chairs themself so they were still protected under eBay's Money Back Guarantee policy.

Yes but if it had been cash on collection eBay wouldn't have been able to refund them.

But they didn't pay cash, in both cases the buyer paid through managed payments. I don't see a parallel with the OP's case; the OP's buyer employed their own carrier to collect the items therefore they forfeited their Money Back Guarantee protection. The OP just needs to point this out to eBay so the case gets closed in their favour.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 22 of 29
See Most Recent

Okaaaaaaaaay point taken you always know best.

Message 23 of 29
See Most Recent

Good morning everyone, need some advice how to proceed. I have a buyer who has claimed ; this time , that item doesn't match description or photos and wants a return and refund. This will be the 3rd attempt, two previous claims resolved in my faviour. The first was for not received when in fact they had arranged a courier. Then because allegidly the courier had damaged the item they wanted to return for a full refund. This was resolved in my faviour not covered by MBG because they used a third party to transport. Lates is as I say a INAD. I have asignificant defence and need to be able to counter this spurious claim. I have reported it as a "False Claim" but I need to know that eBay have all the relevent information. I can't seem to find a email contact to be able to upload my response. Can any one help please, time is running out because the buyer appears to be relying on eBay getting involved rather than negotiateing a fair resolution considering they have damaged the item and will not divulge any information to sustantiate the claim/s

Message 24 of 29
See Most Recent

Thanks , No the first was for non delivery, Resolved then MBG claim because it was damaged by a third party, Resolved. Now they have made a INAD claim but will no divulge any details so we could negotiate. I need to kwow what in the listing is wrong and also the cost of the alleged damage. Also, as I understand because they arranged the courier I should not be responsible for the cost of the return.

Regards

Message 25 of 29
See Most Recent

from what you say the buyer has opened three cases on the same item -

1 - not received.

2 - not as described [damaged].

3 - not as described.

As you say the first two eBay found in your favour - however it's not possible for two eBay not as described cases to be opened on the same item.

Please clarify.

Message 26 of 29
See Most Recent

What exactly was the second claim, because surely if claiming damaged by courier he would have had to open a not as described claim, there are no other options, and again you won, as his method of collection would invalidate the claim.

As it is not possible  to make  second claim, how has he managed this.

It is obvious that he is trying it on, but if he now has managed to open  an INAD what defence have you got against his claim? I can see the robots deciding against you, and before you run out of time I think you need to speak to Ebay, as it would appear that he is merely repeating the claim of damage by the courier claim in a different way. 

Message 27 of 29
See Most Recent

If the buyer first opened an INR case, followed by a NAD case because their own courier allegedly damaged the item, I don't see how they can open a second NAD case through eBay now.

Is this "third" case a PayPal dispute or credit card chargeback? Buyers now pay eBay direct, so PP disputes and chargebacks have to be issued against eBay, which passes them on to the seller in a way that's roughly similar to its own money back guarantee.

If so, you can only reply with the information you would have used to contest the case through eBay. An interesting question (to which I don't now the answer) is whether PayPal or a Credit/Debit card issuer would disallow the claim because the buyer engaged their own courier. It would be easy to check PP's t&c, but I have no idea how a credit card issuer would treat this. Or perhaps eBay would indemnify you because you complied with their own rules for seller protection. Cases like this don't arise very often and It's quite a job to reas all the different terms and conditions!

eBay does not accept emails so to contact them you need to click on "Help & contact" or "Contact us" at the top or bottom of every page. Or use this link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid which includes the call-back option.

Message 28 of 29
See Most Recent

If this is, somehow, a claim through the ebay money back guarantee then you are covered as explained in detail on your other thread on the main seller board.  Using a courier invalidates the MBG. 

if it's a payment dispute through the buyer's funding source, goodness knows what the outcome will be.

Message 29 of 29
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: