Interesting account restriction - the sales cycle has become impossible

A few days ago, I received a message from eBay. They restricted my account citing risk to the community. As a result, my account has been restricted approximately five times within a year, all for the same reason. Each time, it took between one week and one month to resolve, during which I lost thousands of pounds in sales.

Firstly, I must emphasize that there are no disputes to resolve and no complaints from my customers. None of my shipments have been delayed; they have all been delivered within the specified time frame and continue to be delivered.

However, each time, my account is likely automatically restricted by the system, and when I appeal, I'm told that all orders in my account must be delivered. This is where the problem arises.

I mostly sell outside the UK, so the fastest shipment takes up to five days. With customers using the global shipping program, this period can extend to 30 days. To lift eBay's restriction, I have to wait for the item sent to China, worth £10, to be marked as delivered. Also, shipments sent through the global shipping program often take a very long time to arrive.

Every time this restriction is placed on my account, every customer representative I speak to suddenly becomes like a robot: they all say that all sales must be delivered to lift the restriction. Let's assume we agree to this. However, according to this loop, I should only be able to accept one order at a time! Because I'm within the order cycle, this restriction occurs. I cannot make my second sale until my first sale is delivered. Yes, it might sound like an exaggeration, but I've faced this restriction five times within a year! When I'm making an average of £1000 in sales per day, suddenly all my listings are removed, and it takes 3-4 weeks for all orders on my account at that moment to be delivered.

Once, during this ridiculous restriction, we had to wait for a customer to return from vacation because they had postponed receiving the package by a week, and we had to wait for them to return along with all the workers on the production line! It's like a joke!

Trading standards, ombudsman, and court. Whatever it takes, I will now initiate all legal proceedings because despite politely bringing this issue to the attention of various departments dozens of times, no solution has been reached. I simply requested that my active listings not be removed, but nobody cared. I had also paid to list each of them, but nobody cares about the disappearance of this money when these listings disappear!

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Trading standards, ombudsman, and court. Whatever it takes, I will now initiate all legal proceedings because despite politely bringing this issue to the attention of various departments dozens of times, no solution has been reached. I simply requested that my active listings not be removed, but nobody cared. I had also paid to list each of them, but nobody cares about the disappearance of this money when these listings disappear!

That will be a pointless and expensive exercise, eBay has a user agreement which you signed which states that they may terminate an account at any time and don't even have to provide a reason.

Can I ask what your seller performance metrics are showing on your seller dashboard:

https://sellerstandards.ebay.co.uk/dashboard

Can you screenshot the percentages section and post it here?

Message 2 of 19
See Most Recent

Any clause added to the user agreement cannot contravene UK trading standards and cannot prevent an investigation. Additionally, any anti-competitive behavior is a direct cause for investigation.

Could you please share your experiences on this subject, if you have any? Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 12.19.06.png

Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

@justanotherbritish wrote:

Any clause added to the user agreement cannot contravene UK trading standards and cannot prevent an investigation. Additionally, any anti-competitive behavior is a direct cause for investigation.

Eh? How does that contravene UK trading standards? It doesn't even come under trading standards umbrella. I don't know where you're getting your information from (FaceBook or Google, presumably), but it's pretty much nonsense.

Back on topic, thanks for posting the screenshot -  I was expecting to see a whole load of late delivery defects which would explain why eBay are sanctioning you, but I'm puzzled. Only eBay know why they're doing this.

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

Possibly the low overall feedback of 92% is having an impact?  8 negs in 100 is higher than average, I don't know at what point this becomes an issue?

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

@double_o_heaven wrote:

Possibly the low overall feedback of 92% is having an impact?  8 negs in 100 is higher than average, I don't know at what point this becomes an issue?

Yes, you could be right there.

Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

I also thought the negative feedback was very high for the number of transactions - I had a look, they are very bizarre. Most seem to come from one source - but your reply to a feedback response "he insulted me because of my race"(!!!) seemed even stranger still!

Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

Hi, with regards to the problem with late deliveries, if you posted the item within your time frame and the late delivery is due to the delivery company then you should be appealing the decision. It is easy when you view your seller level you need to click on the late deliveries, and then you should be able to view each late delivery. This is why it is important to get your items tracked, when tracking shows that you posted within the time frame you set up in your account the late delivery will be removed. 
When you receive a negative that is not appropriate then do not reply to it but appeal that this is not relevant. That you had that information in your listing and that the buyer disregarded the information. 
Keep on track by being pro-active to sort out any problems that arise with ebay as they arise. If you let things slide then yes your account will be restricted.
Hope this helps. 

Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

Yes, this was very interesting for me too! Because shipment pickup was delayed due to UPS, the person said to me, "All the british people do this." I have encountered a lot of problems like this since selling outside the UK. That was the most disgusting thing...

What was more interesting was that although it was clearly written in these messages, eBay did not impose any sanctions on the person who wrote it!

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

7 negative feedback came from only 1 person... 

Yes, I wouldn't choose to shop from a person with 92% feedback either. However, ebay chose not to remove the clearly slanderous statements.

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Also, this message contained profanity. I think you understand what I'm saying, and if I say it any more clearly, I'll be banned from here. I got a warning for even writing this.

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

@justanotherbritish wrote:

7 negative feedback came from only 1 person... 

You've received 8 negatives in total, and they're from 4 different accounts (one buyer left 4 of those negatives). Are you saying that the name and delivery address details for all of those buyers is the same?

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

The person I mentioned left me 7 feedback, but now there are 5 feedback. Maybe the other one may not be visible because 12 months have passed, I don't now...

If I need to correct it:

There are currently 8 negative feedbacks.

-5 from the same person and none of them reflect the truth. Even though I presented it with all the evidence, it was not removed.
-1 feedback belongs to the person who gave negative feedback saying "No llego" even though the buyer requested the product to be canceled.
-1 negative feedback from a buyer who received profane messages and said "all british people are the same" because he was late to collect the package from UPS.
-1 negative feedback belongs to the ad stated in the description for those who hate using the plug adapter but the country the plug of this device is for

Almost all negative feedback is against feedback policies, but none has been removed.

Message 13 of 19
See Most Recent

The problem may be what you are selling

Many of these units are finding their way into the hands of Russian military (via China), in contravention of sanctions 

Your negative feedback is all for the same items - you should have tried to get it removed at the time

Your account may be at risk, if they suspend your account permanently you won't be able to sell on eBay ever again as they are lifetime suspensions

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

Hello, I applied to remove the feedback, but we received a negative response. (I think you mean feedback?)

I have attempted to cancel the sale multiple times since I realized there was a problem with the customer base that purchased these products.

I also saw the news about this. However, I do not sell directly outside the US and UK. If someone is using a forward address: In the US and UK, the person providing the forward address must verify their identity due to applicable laws. Therefore, it is not possible for me to take responsibility in this matter and identify the customer. Additionally, as a result of a suspicious cancellation, there is a risk of receiving negative feedback, which directly harms me. And ebay does not remove these negative comments.

Also, as someone who has sold hundreds of these units, I can say that none of the kits will work on mainland Russia. I think these news were made because they are newsworthy. However, it does not even reflect reality. If the mobile plan is somehow hacked and working, it should be very easy to blame it on the people who resell these kits on eBay.

Please don't take it personally, I expressed some of my concerns about the people making the news because you mentioned it 🙂

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

I presume you have added the troublesome buyer (s) to your blocked bidder list?

If not, do so ASAP.

As for the starlinks, they aren't using them in russia, the russians use them in Ukraine, and they definitely do work. They can't be blocked as this would block use to the Ukraine military, this is the problem. I think I misunderstood you as you stated you posted items to China

Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

Did you leave your response to the feedback you received before you requested the removal or after? If before I believe that can stop feedback being removed.

Also I can't see anything in most of the feedback that would justify removal, the only thing is in one of they claim it is a scam but even then EBay might just say it is the users opinion.

Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Yes, I added it, but this buyer made 7 purchases from me without any problems and finally made this.

Yes, this is true, it can be used in Ukraine and it is impossible to prevent this situation. There are dozens of sites where Starlink is sold, and most of them ship directly to international addresses. Some of these countries are directly politically close to Russia. In this case, they can also use them. Anyway, thank you for your consideration and helpfulness!

Yes, I sent a product worth 10 pounds to the China, but I didn't even know it went there because the buyer bought it with the global shipping program. And I noticed this when the buyer claimed that the item did not reach him.

I definitely do not send high priced products because I have had a bad experience with this before...

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

I did not receive this answer from Facebook or Google. This response was given as a result of guidance from Citizens Advice.

In this case: They said that Trade Standards deals with the direct or indirect deterioration of the competitive environment, and the Financial Ombushman deals with situations such as paying direct commissions/not being compensated for the services you purchase.

I have come across situations before where the statements of Citizen Advice officials contradict each other. However, if you are curious, you can ask.

Frankly, it did not seem unreasonable to me that a complaint could be made for an action that would disrupt the competitive environment of the country in which it is located and for which there was no logical explanation.

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent