Funds on hold - item delivered and good feedback received

I started selling on ebay a couple of months ago after being a buyer for quite a few years. 

I got off to a good start selling some motorcycle / mtb parts.

All was going well, until my last 2 items were sold and ebay are now withholding my funds.

Both items were dispatched either same day or following day with tracked delivery.

Both items show as delivered and buyers have given good feedback that they are happy with the item.

I have offers on other items, but am reluctant to sell on ebay now, as it appears they are making up spurious reasons to steal sellers money. 

I have had no explanation as to why this has happened, other than the usual 'the buyer may have an issue with the item' waffle. 

The good feedback would indicate that they are happy with the item and my prompt dispatch times, however, the chat bot just sends me around the houses until I get the hump and leave the chat.

Does anybody have any insight into why this is happening before I remove all my listings and move to vinted?

Trying to make an extra few quid in these testing times, and I'm a hundred quid out of pocket as it stands!

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

You will be having your funds put on hold as you are new to selling.

They also hold them if you've taken a break from selling, suddendly start selling more items, or more items with larger values.  My OH had his held although never really understood why.  It took around 10 problem free sales & had to re-verify the account before the holds were lifted & he started to get paid as before.

Others report different experiences.

Try the 'have us call you' link below & see if they'll release the 2 sales money....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid 

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Have you read the policy on payment holds?

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

I am having the same issue, funds withheld for items received by buyers in Septmeber and now they are asking for proof of my identity, bank statements, receipts for all items listed. With almost £300 held by them it's putting me in financial difficulty 

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

@candykisses18 wrote:

I am having the same issue, funds withheld for items received by buyers in Septmeber and now they are asking for proof of my identity, bank statements, receipts for all items listed. With almost £300 held by them it's putting me in financial difficulty 

Yeah I somehow don't think this is going to happen. Sometimes it might not even be possible to get a receipt for the item if you bought it offline at a bootfair or similar, or if it was gifted to you and you then wanted to sell it on at some point in the future?!

I always recommend only sending items out on receipt of the "We have sent your payout" email, and for good reason. eBay cannot claim that the money is theirs - it's legally yours - and therefore they need to pay it out to you. If they don't pay you in a reasonable time frame then you have every right to take them to a Small Claims Court and win the money back (plus court fees etc). It'd probably result in the loss of your eBay account though...

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Your recent feedback may well have caused this issue. 3 negatives (plus 2 neutrals) and just 14 positives in the last 12 months leaves you with an 81.3% rating. Two of the 14 positives state the item took a long time to arrive and your stars for description and delivery time are below 4.  

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

I have just come home to an empty house after being in hospital 6 months with cancer, my mum died 4 months ago and I am selling old tech to make some money as I am only on benefits until probate goes through.  Just had a PC sold for a knock down price and now furious that ebay put my payment on hold for 30 days. It is MY MONEY and I really REALLY need it. Finding out more just gets you a stock answer or bots

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Maybe look to upgrade your account from private to Business seller policy | eBay

As that may help ebay see you as established!

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

@plum993 wrote:

Maybe look to upgrade your account from private to Business seller policy | eBay

That won't be why eBay placed the funds on hold, it might be because they are an infrequent seller and haven't sold anything for the past 90 days (or however long it is). If they are selling old tech that they no longer need, rather than buying tech items to sell on for a profit, then by definition they're not a business!

I'd also go on to say that eBay isn't the safest place to sell a PC, given how little protection sellers have, and that buyers can easily swap parts and then claim faulty, but that's a debate for another thread.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

@dougbat20 wrote:

@plum993 wrote:

That won't be why eBay placed the funds on hold, it might be because they are an infrequent seller and haven't sold anything for the past 90 days (or however long it is). If they are selling old tech that they no longer need, rather than buying tech items to sell on for a profit, then by definition they're not a business!

I'd also go on to say that eBay isn't the safest place to sell a PC, given how little protection sellers have, and that buyers can easily swap parts and then claim faulty, but that's a debate for another thread.

Maybe view multiple cups/tumblers with the option of personalisation amongst there "new"  items.

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: