Final fees too high

Hello All

I have just sold a low value Item on Ebay for £10.70.  I received message from ebay advising me that a £6.09 payment  was sent to your bank account.  I have calculated that ebay deducted £4.61 from the final value fee.  I have calculated this to be 43% fee charged by Ebay.  This was today.  Is anyone else having similar high final Value fees.

This is the 1st time it has happened to me.  There is no way I can list Items where the final value fee is so high.  I would be running at a lost on Items sold. 

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Final fees too high

I have checked my bank account and the actual payout was £6.09 so everything is correct.  This just took me by surprise, because it was always done seperately in the past.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

Final fees too high

I'm guessing you chose to "promote" your item without realising it.

If you look under "accounts" you can find your bill which will give you a breakdown of fee's.

I'm guess one of them will show as "ad fee".

Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Thanks for the reply

I followed your advice and I can now see what happened. I hadn't select the promote your Item" option.

The final fess was £1.67, which in past circumstances would have left a payout of £9.03.

The system deducted the £2.94 postage fee after I had paid for postage and subtracted this from the £9.03 leaving a payout of £6.09.  

In the past the postage was always seperate and it was never taken from the final fees before, hence the reason I was bewildered at the £6.09 payout

Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Did you pay for the postage using ebay funds?  Some members have reported paying by PayPal and still having the postage deducted from their payout,  but this might be a misunderstanding on their part.

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Check your bank account to see what you actually received - if you paid for postage separately with PayPal then you should receive the £9.03 into your account - I have seen emails before which wrongly stated postage would be deducted a second time but I received the expected amount.

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

I have checked my bank account and the actual payout was £6.09 so everything is correct.  This just took me by surprise, because it was always done seperately in the past.

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

I've no idea how eBay keeps going as there's other apps like Vinted that don't charge any final value fee, Depop is good but there is a final value fee but nowhere near as high as eBay. I've tried listing things but it's not worth selling with the money I'll end up with. EBay is too greedy! 

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Very similar. Havent used the site for a few years. Listed and sold something for £35, 2 days ago. 
Total price recieved in my bank £22.86. Was shocked.  Never using them again, cancelled all my other sales on there. 

Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

I've had a recent email from eBay stating that fees will be raised to 35% from 8th April!!! Like the author of this post our items are low value and I feel strongly that the new fee structure should be weighted. Also how can eBay justify a new fee structure including UK VAT on sale AND postage cost. We already pay VAT on postage. Its just tax on tax!!!

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Thankfully it' s 0.35%  not 35%.

@candy-king-uk 

Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Yes, I'm Dislexic... duh!!

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

I also I have a high charge I have to receive £22.25 but I will receive £16.10 this is absolutely not correct for me this is a huge scam 

If someone has information contact me

Thank You 

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

EBay's fees are 12.8% + 30p.  If you buy the postage through eBay it comes out too. [different if it is motors]

So as an example    £10 sale.   Postage £3 

£10 less fees 1.58 = £8.50 is less the postage if you paid it to eBay = £5.50 is yours

@geopet2456 

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Did you buy your postage through Ebay?

Fees are 12.8% + 30p per transaction so fees would have been £3.15p

If you bought a postage label as well, that would account for the rest of the money.

The £2.25 you charged for Second Class Signed For would only cover a Large letter up to 100g.  Your item would certainly have weighed more than that so have a look at any other listings.  Ebay postage calculations are not always accurate and it is up to you to make sure you are charging enough.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

No I haven't bought the postage through ebay I have bought it all from post office 

Thank you

Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Look in Payments and then 'see all' to get a breakdown of how the amount you were paid has been calculated.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Are you looking at the breakdown of costs or the breakdown of the payment?

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Yes

just sold a higher value item for £600 and eBay charged £97. They added another fee as was a European winner. This really has put me off using eBay to sell. I've been using eBay for over 20 years. They really are making a fortune out of sellers -!! 

i am moving over to vinted where the buyer pays a small fee and the seller gets the full amount paid- no fee. But not as many people looking at vinted-

I think it will take on in the next year or so-

good luck 

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

"

i am moving over to vinted where the buyer pays a small fee and the seller gets the full amount paid- no fee. But not as many people looking at vinted-

I think it will take on in the next year or so-" Until they start charging fees lol.

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

Final fees too high

Ebay final fees are 13.22%, check ebay messaging, started in April 2024

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent