Ebay improperly blocking international visibility of UK listings via "See other items" links!!!

Hi.......Am looking for information/advice re what other people are experiencing re this issue, that most are very unlikely to have even thought to check. There is something very badly wrong with the Ebay system, at user's expense, that I neither understand the workings of, or the purpose of. But it is completely out of order! And having recently been told that submitting a complaint is pointless (that at best it will only be viewed as "feedback"), and that it's extremely unlikely that anything will be done about it at all, I'm just hoping that if more people are made aware of how they are are being actively disadvantaged, then more complaints might just make it slightly more likely that Ebay will bother to do something about it.

The issue is Ebay adversely affecting potential international sales by actively blocking international access to UK sellers' other listings, as should always automatically ALL be accessible through the standard "see other items" links, whichever country those links are used from! So if you haven't ever checked, do please go now to see if all your UK listings that are eligible to be viewed on Ebay.com and Ebay.ca (ie with appropriate postage quoted) can really be viewed from "see other items" links (as checked from the USA and Canada) as they should be.  I predominantly sell art, but I have no idea what criteria they are using to so improperly restrict visibility or what other categories of items may be being affected as well, if affected at all.  There's nothing "wrong" or inappropriate re anything of mine, though, and whatever the glitch is, it seems to be affecting paintings (watercolours/oils) rather than drawings. At least that's how it looks re the US where only about 1/3 of my listings are even being acknowledged to exist. From Canada it's different, about 2/3 of my listings are being acknowledged to exist. And while that's better, reality is that that's still just appalling! That Ebay is actively hiding ANY listings from view (for whatever spurious/ridiculous/unaccountable supposed reason), is simply UNTENABLE!  

Just to be clear, I have only now thought to check what American and other nationalities are shown re what I'm selling, from the perspective of apparently being in those other countries, after relatively recently acquiring a VPN. Previously I had just wrongly taken it on trust that my other listings will all be accessible via the "view sellers other items"  links, if I can just interest people enough to get them to click on those links. That function works in this country. And since I do still sell occasional things to America in spite of the extra charges involved, I like to help facilitate that by paying the extra £0.30 for American and Canadian visibility re selected items. That being done on trust that that North American visibility will then help lead people back to related other items, and to all my other listings generally. But what is the point in that if the very existence of those other listings, as now discovered, is being actively hidden/blocked by Ebay? My trust has therefore been despicably abused, and what facility there may have been to sell to either the US or Canada culpably adversely affected!

Just to be clear as well, it isn't as if the hidden listings are somehow not eligible to be viewed on ebay.com or ebay.ca. They are still findable, but only by a specific search for the item, as sometimes, but not always, shown as available from international sellers. So there's nothing remotely intrinsically wrong with them, Ebay is just actively disallowing their association with me, as the seller, or with the other (often related) things being sold. 

WHO ELSE IS BEING AFFECTED BY THIS?  WHAT OTHER CATEGORIES ARE AFFECTED OR NOT AFFECTED?WHO ELSE HAS EVEN EVER CHECKED THE INTERNATIONAL VISIBILITY OF THEIR LISTINGS?

Advice appreciated.......................J

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Ebay improperly blocking international visibility of UK listings via "See other items" links!!!

I noticed that I was not getting the usual amount of International sales last January.

When I was speaking to a relative in USA & mentioned this, he checked & could not find any of my listings showing on eBay.com.  So I started to investigated to see what other countries were not seeing my listings.

Telephoned eBay CS - I was informed there were extra fees to pay for my items to be seen in USA / Canada with eBayer's having Basic shops, but try listing & offer International post. I said I would but I was not interested in GSP.

I listed items that I knew USA Buyers use to buy a lot from me.   Sure enough the International sales started to pick up again & I now list about 80% of my items Internationally. (without extra fees but a Basic eBay Shop)

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Thank you for the reply ile136yz. It's interesting to hear your experience, and that your relative couldn't find your listings on Ebay.com. If you hadn't been including international postage, though, it makes sense that your items weren't showing up in standard searches in other countries. And it makes sense that your international sales picked up again after you started to started to include international postage. Good for you that that's worked. But that experience doesn't really explain the issues I'm having or the absolute disgrace of the "see seller's other items" function just NOT showing what should be being shown there.

The extra fee for US and Canadian visibility, that I do pay for some selected items, is about having your item included in the standard search facility for the US and Canada.  Including appropriate international postage, though (which I already always include for everything, barring the occasional item that's too big for international postage to be feasible), should still have items be found as shown as being sold by international sellers. But neither the extra fee nor the international postage inclusion should actually make any difference to the functioning of the "see seller's other items" function. That is a separate thing entirely, and it is frankly outrageous that Ebay is apparently effectively hiding listings that should be shown there, blocking people from knowing that other listings even exist! And it doesn't even make sense when it isn't all listings that are being hidden, to effect, it's just most of them. And it isn't even the same re Canada as it is for the US!

Something is very wrong! Has anyone else checked if all their listings are included, as they should be, in the "see seller's other items" facility?

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Just to bump

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Sounds like the same issue as this which has been going on for ages: https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/New-Glitch-UK-shops-have-either-very-reduced-or-0-i... ,  https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Ebay-Glitch-Vintage-amp-Antique-Jewellery-ebay-co-u... . It's been brought to ebay's attention numerous times but they refuse to acknowledge it as an issue. Apparently it's "working as intended" and the glitch is the items that do show as none should!

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

That is really helpful Rainbowtrax! That is obviously the very same issue and I had no idea that other thread was there. And with the awful design of this community site, I'd never have found it either.

Well I've been complaining bitterly too, and it just shows you how appalling the system is, in that no Customer Service personnel have any clue that any such issue has ever been raised before!

It isn't just Ebay.com, either, it's Canadian Ebay too, altough the numbers are different.

And what a disgrace what they're doing is!  It's completely unethical to block access to the knowledge that a seller has other things for sale. It's not the same thing as having people pay to have their listings available to be included in .com searches, and it's taking the money that is paid for that facility under false pretences, because you don't get the visibility that you are led to believe you're paying for.  That's fraud. They know what they're doing is ethically bankrupt too, or they wouldn't be hiding it and having Customer Service lie for them to cover for it.

There are some awful people running this ship!

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

There used to be a seller of rare fragrances and jewellery who posted about this problem for months (possibly years).  

She had a thriving business, a major part of which was international sales which suddenly nose-dived.  Trying to find out why, she found that her listings were no longer visible on .com apart from a few pieces of jewellery, but none of the fragrances that were her mainstay.  She even reported that regular buyers had messaged her asking if she had closed down as they couldn't find any of her listings.

Another thing she had found was that even when she found her ebay listings on google, if she clicked to view them she was NOT taken to her listing but other "similar" listings from other sellers.  This was well before everyone's listings were splattered lines of PL from other sellers.

I haven't seen any posts from her on here for a while now.  I wonder why??

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

I have the same issue only 54 of my 1080 items are showing on ebay.com!!! WHY? 

Customer Service say that a potential buyer needs to change the location to "worldwide". Aain why?

What makes the 54 any different to the other 1000+ items ? Who decides what potential buyers see?

Why not just show them all or at the very least say "This seller has x number of items please change the location to worldwide". ....

But again I ask the question if a potential buyer has an interest in a particular seller's items why not just display everything?

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Can anyone look at my listing and tell me why it is not visible in the USA  I think I have international postage 

Can anyone take a look and advise ?  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155827387574

anne 

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

I still have the same issue. ebay won't open up all non-US items to the US market. US buyers only see a fraction of the items I have listed, even when they view my store!

If I have a US buyer already and they want to see everything else I have, I have to instruct them go to advanced search and change location to worldwide and search for my username in the seller field . Only then can they see them all. Sometimes they can see them if they log into their account through ebay.co.uk . 

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent