EBay payout

An anyone answer my question please. I don't seem to be getting anywhere. 
if `I sell an item for £1.55 and thenpostage is £1.55bpaid by the purchase. EBay pays me 71p after fees. I then have to pay £1.55 for postage which means I am 84p out of pocket. Is this right?

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

EBay payout

Not quite but it was a good go...

If you sell an item for £1.55 plus £1.55 postage the purchaser will pay £3.10 in total.

You pay eBay commission of 12.8% plus 30p per transaction on £3.10 = £0.70

£3.10 - £0.70 = £2.40

You then pay £1.55 for postage

£2.40 - £1.55 = £0.85

Assuming you haven't paid additional fees for promoting the listing you will receive net proceeds of £0.85 after selling your item for £1.55 plus postage.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

EBay payout

Yes but I am buying postage through PayPal for which I have  to pay £1.55  through my bank. When the item shows as sold it says purchase a postage label which takes me to PayPal.  Am I doing something wrong? Can I get postage  from eBay which will be paid for with the £1.55 from the purchaser.

i hope this makes sense. Or am I being really dim. 

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

EBay payout

You can pay for some types of postage through ebay using the buyer's payment in which case it is deducted from the payment ebay sends you.

Or you get paid £2.40 by ebay, and buy the postage using other funds.

What you are looking at is Ebay's breakdown of the sale costs,  not the breakdown of the payment you will get from them.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

EBay payout

It does not really matter to whom the payment for postage is made [eBay or Post Office]  the sum is as @thesmokingrunner clearly sets it out.

The other way to do it is to simply sell "post free"  for £3.10 and the sum is the same

[Post free really means Post Included - I had a seller years ago who thought it meant you did not have to put any stamps on!]  Ha!

@ggea6203 

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

EBay payout

When the buyer pays the purchase amount of £3.10 it is initially paid to eBay, who deduct their commission of £0.70 before passing the remainder to your registered bank account.

You need to effectively pay £1.55 for the postage 'up front' so that you can post the item, and this will need to be done before eBay have transferred the net £2.40 (£3.10 - £0.70) to your bank account. So in some respect yes you have to pay £1.55 for the postage but that amount is 'returned' to you when eBay transfers £2.40 to your account.

You don't have to purchase a postage label via PayPal (though it appears that's how your account is set up so you may want to change that). You can, as you mention, buy postage from eBay, you could buy a postage label online direct from Royal Mail or you could go to a Post Office.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

EBay payout

Thank you. So I was  being really dim🙂

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

EBay payout

Thank you. I will check what payment Inreveive from eBay 

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

EBay payout

Check your payout breakdown,  fees paid,  etc. here in your Payment Summary:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sh/fin/transactions

@ggea6203 

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

EBay payout

Thank you everyone. I didn't understand the system. Your answers helped me understand

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent