Buyer confirmed address, but it isn't on the Royal Mail's registry and can't get delivered. Options?

Hi there,

I have had the Royal Mail lose parcels in the past, and I thought that when I saw that my First Class Signed-For parcel hasn't yet been delivered (it's been 6 days) that this will be the same case.

But after calling the Royal Mail up they told me that, while the recipient's building exists, "Flat 3" doesn't. There is only "Flat 1" and "Flat 2", meaning that their landlord probably hasn't informed the local council to get the registry updated.

I do not feel like I am at fault here, so I just wondered what my options are should the recipient open a case as the parcel is in limbo, not lost. I have done everything right as the seller; the buyer even tells me he has had parcels not get delivered (probably for this same reason), so why not update their eBay settings to show a more secure address or a local Argos pick-up counter?

Am I protected? Because the Royal Mail also told me that this would not count as a claim, should I want to reclaim the value of the parcel, so if I need to refund the recipient I am severely out of pocket because of their error.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Buyer confirmed address, but it isn't on the Royal Mail's registry and can't get delivered. Options?

@adk_gb wrote:

....Am I protected?....

You're at risk of an item not received case within eBay, I'm afraid. 

Royal Mail can be flaky at the best of times with their compo. 

Condragulations, you are the winner of this week's challenge!
Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Is this still the case if (quoting from here):

If the seller has already sent the item, they won't be able to cancel the order. If possible, we recommend trying to collect your package from the original address.

How could I have possibly known that Flat 3 wasn't a registered address, when my buyer knows that they have had postal trouble in the past?

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

I had similar a couple of months back. The address didn't exist on RM's postcode page. A look on Google street view showed some sort of new build/side extension. And the buyer confirmed their address. Or rather they said that mail reaches them when they use that address.

A few days later the buyer left feedback and RM even remembered to scan the delivery. I did have my fingers crossed just in case.

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

What I would try to do is get in contact with the buyer and agree something that allows them to get the item into their hands. So for example you should be able to rearrange a delivery to a local post office so that a buyer can collect (I would offer to pay any small redelivery fee so the buyer doesn't complain about it).

If the buyer is adamant they cannot or will not collect the item from the delivery office or a post office then you may just have to leave it so that Royal Mail return the item for you as not called for after about 18 postal days.

Have you tried checking this address on some other postcode checking services? For example those provided by mobile phone coverage checkers - just to see whether it's only a Royal Mail problem or more widespread?

If you look at the eBay UK support pages and seller protection you should find that sellers are protected if the buyer provides an invalid or incomplete address. When new properties are built it can take some time for them to appear on all of the various address checkers so it's possible that it does appear on some but not Royal Mail's, in which case you may find it hard to argue that the buyer's address is invalid.

I can understand that Royal Mail has said the address is invalid if it doesn't appear in their list. If they've told you that I would be pretty much 100% certain they won't offer any compensation or a refund. So I think I'd give up on that avenue.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

I've got the exact same issue now when I've just gone to Royal Mail and Evri to try and purchase a postage label. The street name and postcode do not match, I've searched street name and it's not matching the postcode, and I've searched postcode and it's definitely not the same street. 

I don't want to post it to an incorrect address for fear of it being returned and being out of pocket or worse, it getting lost.

I've screenshot RM page and Evri and sent to the buyer and told them the issue, but they do not answer, and it's a £70 purchase they have made.

How long do I wait until I cancel the order without a response. And do I send it to the provided address anyway? From other questions and answers about similar things it doesn't seem worth risking. But also I don't want to get negative feedback for cancelling the order.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

As I understand it, cancelling using 'problem with buyer's address' does not cause you defects.  Anyway, in your case, it's the truth - and if the buyer is not responding to you there is nothing else you can do, anyway.  

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent