Account restriction and withheld urgent payments

Subject: Urgent Help Needed: Unjust eBay Account Suspension

Dear Community Members,

I'm reaching out to you in a state of distress and uncertainty. Recently, my eBay account was suspended for selling phones and a DJI drone that I legally own. Despite my best efforts and providing all requested documents, eBay's decision to deny my appeal has left me feeling hopeless and lost.

What's particularly difficult is that I'm in a situation where I'm desperately relying on these funds. The stress is overwhelming, knowing that I've already sent out the products but haven't received payment due to the suspension.

To make matters worse, eBay cited generic reasons about posing a risk to the community, which doesn't resonate with me at all. It's incredibly frustrating to be caught in this situation, especially when I've always strived to abide by eBay's policies and maintain a positive reputation as a seller.

At this point, I'm considering legal action, but I'm hesitant and unsure of what steps to take next. If anyone has faced a similar situation or can offer any guidance or support, it would mean the world to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my plea.

Warm regards,

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

We have no access to your account so cannot see the message you received re this restriction, it may well not be a permanent restriction, but just a reminder to register for eBay's Managed Payments.

All sellers have to do the following,  to be able to list items for sale and receive payouts from those sales.

You need to provide eBay with details of a bank account and have this account verified.  The usual method here, is for eBay to send 2 micro deposits into that nominated bank account for you to receive,  and confirm to eBay.

Once this is completed,  you will be able to list items for sale,  and receive payouts from those sales.

This will show you how to register for eBay's Managed Payments.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/help/selling/getting-paid/introducing-managed-payments-ebay?id=4795

If there is an issue with the registration contact eBay Customer Services,  who have full access to your account,  and can see where the issue lies and explain the steps you now need to take.

Contact them this way.

Scroll to the very bottom of the page on the link below you will be able to access eBay Customer Services  through the Contact Us link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/search-tips/advanced-search?id=4049&query=1455&st=GENERAL_SEARCH

Lines open between 8 a.m. and 10p.m. on weekdays,  and between 9.am. and 6 p.m. on weekends.

Or,  as you have sold very expensive items,  are eBay asking for proof of ownership, receipts etc . ?

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

If ebay decides you are a risk then they have the right to suspend, or terminate your accout, so there is no point taking legal action against that.

However, could you please expand on 'witholding funds' as that is the worrying bit.  What exactly have they said about releasing the funds?

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Did eBay send you a message saying they are "not happy with your business model" or similar? 

Sadly, that means a permanent suspension from selling on eBay on all accounts

There is no "right" to sell on eBay, and eBay can remove anyone they choose from their site. There is no grounds for appeal, eBay have simply said they do not want you trading on their site. It's eBay's site, they can choose who uses it and who doesn't. 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Selling Brand New items including two brand new high value iphones on a private account probably didn't help

eBay needs information including your NI number so they can report your sales to HMRC, as you have sold over £1700 worth of items, including two brand new iPhones. 

If you didn't supply ALL of the information that eBay required, in the formats that they require it to be in, with ALL names and addresses matching exactly, then they will hold your funds until you do. This is both to comply with anti-money laundering legislation and to comply with the new "reporting sales over £1700 a year to HMRC" legislation that has just been introduced.

You have lost your ability to sell on eBay, but you need to keep trying to prove your identity to eBay to get your funds released. Make sure all accounts use the same name, no nicknames or contractions, this is often why the ID checks fail, as the names do not match exactly. 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi dw.uk.-59, thanks for your post.

Normally, when an account is restricted, you would get an email from us notifying you about this. In the same email, you will find some instructions in order to get the restriction removed. If you followed the instructions on the email we sent you, and managed to contact our customer service team, and they reviewed your account and gave you a final outcome, I am afraid the decision will remain. Please note that a specific reason might not be given, as some details we don't share in order to protect our processes and prevent ways of bypassing our policies.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent