how do I describe this studio pottery item?

Hello

New seller having a clear out and I wondered whether anyone her could help me with this item?  

IMG_6470.jpeg

It is a footed dish with a dome lid with a hare sculpted on top

I wasn't sure whether there was a name for this kind of item

Is it for putting game pate inside?  

I bought it years ago as I loved the hand painted hares 

I would be grateful for any help 

Thank you 🙂 

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Whenever I'm stuck when selling an individual item like yours ,  I look to see if there's any other seller selling the same or similar.

I added studio pottery, hare design into Search,  and 30 items appeared.  Granted none exactly the same as yours,  but it may give you some tips how to decribe a studio pottery piece.

Take as many of the 20 free photos eBay allow per listing,  as they play an important part of the description too.  I would suggest,  lid on and off the item.  Add all measurements of its size.

If you're not sure of value, put it into an auction format,  but remember to start the auction for the lowest amount you are happy to receive,  it cannot sell for less.  Then,  if you only receive one bid,  which often happens,  you will have achieved the price you wanted. 

Good Luck, with Christmas around the corner,  certainly a good time to sell an item like this.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Whenever I'm stuck when selling an individual item like yours ,  I look to see if there's any other seller selling the same or similar.

I added studio pottery, hare design into Search,  and 30 items appeared.  Granted none exactly the same as yours,  but it may give you some tips how to decribe a studio pottery piece.

Take as many of the 20 free photos eBay allow per listing,  as they play an important part of the description too.  I would suggest,  lid on and off the item.  Add all measurements of its size.

If you're not sure of value, put it into an auction format,  but remember to start the auction for the lowest amount you are happy to receive,  it cannot sell for less.  Then,  if you only receive one bid,  which often happens,  you will have achieved the price you wanted. 

Good Luck, with Christmas around the corner,  certainly a good time to sell an item like this.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Thank you for taking the time to write such a helpful reply 

I very much appreciate it and am taking photos now 🙂

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

You're very welcome !

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

I just wanted to say thank you again for the help, the item sold for just over £200, which is very nice indeed!

*does little happy dance* 😁 🎉

My flat is so cramped that I was at risk of breaking it here and I am thrilled that it is going to a good home where it will be loved.  

I was going to send it via Royal Mail 48 tracked, I just wondered, especially as it is a very heavy item. if anyone can easily advise me on the best postal service to use?  

It is going to a UK address, is well packed in a shoe box and weighs just over 1.5 kilos 

I could ask on the postage boards but I feel I have settled in here quite well 🙂 and am hoping one of the people here might be able to easily advise me, especially re posting a fragile item as I want the buyer to get it intact.  I hope that's OK  

Thanks so very much again

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Hello again

Well done,

If it was me, plenty of tissue & bubble wrap, (probably don't need to mention that), Royal Mail would be my option, it's in the 'small parcel' cat, but at that value, I would consider special delivery next day by 1pm, fully insured.

You can probably buy the postage/label and print it off via ebay cheaper than going to the PO counter, although you still need to physically take it and get proof of posting.

Food for thought

all the best

S

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Thank you so much Steve

I was looking at SD before 1pm and my only concerns were that they ask for the contact details of the recipient but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask the buyer.  Is it OK to ask for their contact details to give to RM?

My other concern is that the buyer has to sign for it and they may not be in on a weekday before 13.00, so should I ask the buyer first? 

I don't drive and the post office is the nearest to my home so very convenient for me so if the buyer is happy with Royal Mail Special Delivery I'm happy as Larry 😁

Oh, and please don't worry about the bubble wrap, I wrapped it up really well before listing it for auction.  I am naturally very clumsy and shouldn't really be allowed near fragile things 😂 

Not wanting my lovely items to become ruined and wasted is a significant motivation in selling them here.  

Thanks again 

😊

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Hi
yes for sure, run it past the buyer, of your intentions for postage option.

I've never had anyone complain yet!

Also, when I've done this through ebay (parcel link) I've never been asked to provide details, I suppose they already hold them.

The only reason I mentioned tissue and bubblewrap is I always use tissue first as the plaxtic can be quite harsh on some pottery.

your welcome and all the best

S

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Thank you so much Steve, esecially for the tip about the tissue paper and bubble wrap

I had no idea about the practical reasons for doing this but had wrapped in tissue first as I like to imagine the buyer's excitment as they unwrap the item, multipe layers of bubblewrap is fairly exciting but a final, internal layer of crisp, crackling, slightly metalic tissue makes for an exciting audio visual experience 😁

All the best 

Marmots 😊

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

A rather disappointing update - I would be grateful for any help

The buyer was extremely concerned about packaging and I spent ages reassuring her and I got very stressed over a couple of days trying to arrange time to unpack the item, photograph it in various stages of being wrapped and sending her the photos.  I didn't mind doing this at all if it helped her not to be stressed but I am recovering from a horrid cold and feel very tired, also I had various family events over the last couple of days so it was challenging time wise.

Today was the day when I had promised to do it but last night, at a family meal,  I received a grovelling message from the buyer saying that she needed to cancell the sale and telling me that I could offer the item to the next bidder along. 

The buyer had seemed exctited about winning and told me that different family members had all chipped in to buy the item as a gift.  I was so exctied about the item going to someone who loved it.  I don't know why the buyer pulled out, they said it was for personal reasons they don't want to go into but I suspect that one of the relatives was unable to chip in as promised. 

How do I deal with this?

I cannot see an option for offering the item to the next bidder along, how do I do this?

How do I deal with the winning bidder?  I felt so excited for her and I really wanted her to be happy.  She seemed ike a lovely person and am at a loss for how to deal with this.   

If the next bidder along has bid much less do I have to offer it to them?  I'm tempted to list it next year instead once i have had time to research it properly as it is a lovely piece that might make more that the winning bid this time around 

Any advice much appreciated 

Many thanks Marmots 

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Oh that's such a shame, but there's no point posting it if they don't want it anymore so cancel the order this way:

If you are on My eBay Selling,  go right of the item sold and from More Actions select Cancel this Order, Buyer Reequests to Cancel.  This will fully refund your byyer,  refund you your seller fees, and your seller performance will not be affected.

If you are on the Seller Hub, find the item in Orders >>  Posted and Awaiting your Feedback.  Tick on the little arrow left of the item from the drop down menu which appears scroll down a little,  you will see Cancel Order and complete as above.

You may need a desktop browser and not the app or mobile browser to do this,  Chrome and Firefox work well with eBay.

Personally,  I would wait till the New Year too,  to relist it.  If you do wish to offer to second highest bidder, this will explain the process.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Hello again

Sorry to hear about the outcome, and your cold! ( 3 weeks for me now), unfortunately this is a factor on ebay, this is not the first time or will it be the last time a buyer chooses to cancel the sale, don't take it personally.

In this instance, I would just cancel the sale as advised by the buyer, refund monies via ebay, and revisit the item in the new year with a fresh listing, including the postage options so that a new buyer will know exactly how it's being sent and who with.

Get well, and seasons greetings

regards

S

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Thank you both so much for your help 

Much appreciated 

😊

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent