Can anyone help me identify this small tea / coffee pot?

Hello

I bought this from. charity shop ages ago and am cluless about how to list it

I'll probably put it up as an auction, but would appreciate some help with basic issues

It looks to be Chinese (or Japanese?) and is hand painted 

Is it vintage?  Antique?  20th century?

Is it a tea pot or a coffee pot? 

I just spent ages looking and now only know that I don't know enough to list it properly.  I would mostly appreciate help with making sure it is in the right category.  

Any help much appreicated 

Thank you 

Marmots 😊

IMG_6499.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6496.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Hello

From experience this is quite frustrating and can be complex, there are thousands of different marks.

For the 4 character marks remember two rows read from right to left and from top to bottom.

It maybe worth taking a photo of each character and using a translator app.

It certainly has the appearance of pre 1940.

Good luck, and hope the above speeds the process.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you so much and please excuse my tardiness at getting back to you, I have been struck down with the mother of all colds 

Due to my sniffly, coughing state I didn't get round to auctioning the piece but am thinking I might do so over the holiday season.  

I am imagining, rightly or wrongly, people at home over Christmas, bored and searching eBay for the present Santa didn't get them. Maybe I'll have some luck?

Thank you especially for the pre-1940 suggestion, anything is helpful as I am so clueless.  I'll see how I get on with a Mandarin translation app and hopefully make some progress 

😊

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Just to add ..when i have listed over the festive period in the past sales have been very good so you may be right.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Thank you Guru, I have a few nice things I have been too unwell to list so I will enjoy a relaxed recovery whilst listing stuff here.  Fingers crossed I can make some space at home and make a few quid too! 😁

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent