Underpaid label

I recently purchased a label Royal Mail 48 tracked and signed. I entered dimensions and weight  and payed the requested sum.  The parcel was accepted at my local po without further ado. 
a few days later the recipient contacted me to complain about having to pay £3.00 under payment fee including £1.50 handling fee. This to me is wrong on every level. The po accepted my parcel without any indication of an issue. What are people's thoughts?

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Underpaid label

Yes,  I agree seems wrong as PO did accept the postage, did they weigh the item in front of you to check?  I woud definitely go back there and inform them waht has happened.

Just a thought,  ask your buyer was this an underpayment,  or had the stamp come off completely, this also happens when caught on those rough grey sacks,  it can pull the stamp off.

End of the day you will have to reimburse your buyer to keep them happy,   the excess they paid.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Underpaid label

Yes, thanks already reimbursed buyer, who sent me a photo showing sticker with underpayment. Looks like they  charged the difference that would take the small parcel into above 2kg category . Parcel was definitely well less than that when presented to po

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Underpaid label

Happened to me around Halloween time, same circumstances - £3.50 to pay.   Contacted RM about it, in the end they wanted a photo of the package + label

My theory was - I had cut a small parcel box down, made it lower in height so thought it may have bevelled out a cm or so and some jobsworth spotted it. 

'Thanks for providing the requested information.
 I can understand the inconvenience caused by this issue, and I am sorry for this.
 In order to consider a refund we will need to see clear pictures of the item, along with the postage and surcharge labels.
 Please request the above information from the recipient; if this is not available then please be mindful of this requirement, should a similar incident occur in future'

Had already caused the recipient enough hassle so just took the hit. 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Underpaid label

Have you kept the proof of posting ?

The weight the PO made is on there along with the postcode so it will show the item was weighed and showed to be under 2kg.   If it shows to be under 2 kg. then your PO charged you the correct amount, and whoever checked this was therefore wrong, to charge the excess.

I woulld challenge this with RM, if you have the proof that the weight corresponded with payment made for an item under 2 kg.

@jarnelljones 

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Underpaid label

I think that you affixed the label and took it to the PO.

Had they put on the label you would have been covered "Post Office mistake"

@jarnelljones 

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Underpaid label

Maybe it was over sized not over weight.

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent