Sending larger items

Hi all, 

I have a couple of larger items I'd like to list. However I'm unsure how I'd go about sending them, paying for postage and printing the delivery label as like most people, I don't have a printer at hand. 

I have already sent small items via Royal mails QR code drop off. However when I visit say DPD or Parcel force the sites state one must have a printer. Is this true or are the sites out of date? If I arrange a collection will the courier simply scan my QR code and print at my door? Or is this asking for to much? 

Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sending larger items

papso22
Experienced Mentor

I think most people do have printers nowadays. 

Royal mail will bring a printed label to your door.

I think post offices can print off a QR from your phone.

I don't think any courier will print at your door. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

Sending larger items

papso22
Experienced Mentor

I think most people do have printers nowadays. 

Royal mail will bring a printed label to your door.

I think post offices can print off a QR from your phone.

I don't think any courier will print at your door. 

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Oh really? Well I don't know anyone with a printer.. Perhaps I should choose my friends and family more wisely 👌

Thankd for clearing that up for me, seems pretty counterintuitive for couriers like DPD etc to not be using QR code print. Would make it easier. 

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

No way to edit typos here then 🤣

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

@tranceenthusiast wrote:

No way to edit typos here then 🤣

I think there is a 5 minute editing window.

If couriers who collect are going to print,  they would need a portable printer that prints sticky labels,  I can't see that happening. 

But the drop off places could do it, same as the PO.

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Do you mean the drop off places do do it? Or they should and could? Would be so much easier if I knew I could turn up somewhere with QR code and drop off. 

thanks 

Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Sorry, I meant there is no reason why they couldn't, but I don't know if they do.  Perhaps a visit to your local one might be in order?  Libraries used to do printing as well.

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Cheers, Yeah they should definitely offer QR code printing. 

I only have 2 items to sell so investing in a printer would be silly. Perhaps courier companies would like to enter the 21st century? 😀

Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

You could try parcel2go they have couriers who will bring a label but cost will depend on the size and value of the items you are sending.

Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

How big is the parcel (s) our local post office now does obviously royal Mail but also DPD - The staff at the post office print the labels for you for the DPD parcels. However the parcel has to be under 10kg in weight and there are size limitations too (can't remember them) Additionally you could use Parcel Force via your post office again they issue the labels so you wouldn't need to worry.

I know on our UPS account we have a service where they physically bring the label to your house to apply to the box if its a collection, but I am not sure if you have to have a full account with them for the service or as @61stephenuk  mentions that could be available via P2G site.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Ah awesome yeah this will work. Seems parcel force via parcels to go does not need a printer. 

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Thanks for this info. I'll check UPS one out too, It's two items that will be purchased together both 10kgs boxes are pretty big. 

I'm considering offering local pickup also. Just a bit concerned about someone picking them up and the saying not received. 

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Just to add then if two boxes at 10kg if you goto post office and use parcelforce there is the ability for a consignment parcel option and it works out cheaper doing it like that. When they start to process the total weight of the parcels is entered to system but it can be split over 2 boxes in your case. 

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Thanks, I've looked into it a bit more and parcel force doesn't offer much compensation if parcel is damaged or lost. I'm probably gonna have to send via DPD who offer up to £5000. But they require a printer and I simply do not own one, and am not paying for one for the sake of one sale.

You did mention post office can print label for DPD now. Does that mean I have to take the parcels and have them weigh and measure? Or am I able to book the service online and simply drop off and they will print? Because that really isn't being made clear. DPD simply state printer needed for all services. 

Bear in mind I've never sent a parcel of any size started selling on here last week. If I have to take to post office will the prices of shipping be the same as booking online ( obviously i'm looking to make sure the buyer pays for postage in full ) 

I'm considering offering local collection but that seriously lowers my selling potential. 

Cheers 

Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

It would appear you have to pay for insurance to cover the item. So insurance plus eBay fee, plus tax, = sell on Facebook.

Thanks for help  I'm probably not gonna bother using eBay for this one. 

I had assumed it would be simple. Not having compensation is my biggest fear for sending the items. 

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Hi again,

I've listed my items as two separate listings rather than one.  

The eBay recommendation postage is medium parcel up to 10k Royal Mail special 1pm.

If I buy the label via eBay will I be able to use the label tracking ID to arrange a collection? Seems like you can, I just want to double check.

Also how do I increase the insurance as via eBay you can only get up to £500?  So if the buyer already buys I have to buy via eBay and the insurance is not enough? Slightly confused by this. Perhaps I'm over complicating things. 

https://send.royalmail.com

Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

Sending larger items

Just to add I want to keep everything within the eBay ecosystem if possible to protect myself as much as I can from any potential scam. 

Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent