Selling job lot of magazines to EU (Belgium) do custom fees apply ?

I always thought printed paper didn't need customs, but I can't find any info about multiple pre-owned magazines. I am selling off my old mags and someone in Belgium is interested. Would this need a customs payment ? Not sending via Global Shipping as there are 4 boxes for 1 transaction so it would be a minefield, so using Parcel Force directly instead. There are 130 mags, price around £200. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Yes your buyer would be liable for VAT etc under the IOSS scheme. As the value of the item is over £135/€150 then this is paid locally by the buyer, at point of entry in to Belgium. Can't remember what the VAT rate is for Belgium.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks. Are you sure this is for magazines though ? I was fairly sure printed paper was customs free but maybe it is all down to cost then rather than product. 

Any idea how this works for multiple boxes ? There will be 4 or 5 being sent. Do customs class them all as the same order ? 

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Under the new (well they have been around for 18 months) IOSS rules laid out by the EU VAT is liable, whether its £1 or £1000. However ebay automatically collect the VAT up to and including £135 on any order,  thereafter its collected in country of destination.

If you have multiple boxes you need to ensure that on the customs paperwork/commercial invoices you clearly mark the same order number so it is treated as one order and not multiples.  If you can consign the order with Parcelforce so its box 1 of 4, 2 of 4 etc that makes it easier, and less likely for customs to consider it different orders etc.

I would also include a copies of the order from ebay in the boxes as evidence. Also it will help too if you can get the HS code on the parcel to avoid any confusion by customs (these can be found at the .gov website ) There can be different vat rates for different items, however that will be identified be in part the HS code, and also reflect duty if applicable. You and your buyer need to be aware that they will more than likely get charged a handling fee by Parcelforce/GLS or who ever the handler is in Belgium to clear the item (in the region of €10 generally.)

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

@bensonbooga   The VAT system changed in July 2021 for European countries.  VAT is now paid at the import country rate, in your case that of Belgium.  Previously it was "free" because it was paid at the export country rate for countries in the EU and EEA and printed papers are zero rated in the UK (also Ireland and Norway).

Your buyer would have to pay the Belgian rate on receipt together with any administration charge the courier makes for collecting the tax on behalf of the Belgian tax authority.  Belgium's rate of VAT on printed papers is 6% so your buyer is relatively lucky it could have been up to 27% (Hungary).  The VAT rates in Europe for printed papers vary between 0 and 27% depending on country.

You might want to consider splitting your magazines into 2 lots for the buyer; say £100 each.  VAT would then be collected by eBay if sent in two lots and the buyer would be invoiced automatically by eBay.  Not necessarily cheaper but saves a lot of hassle at both ends.  Other couriers could also be cheaper than Parcelforce; especially if you are using a broker.  Also check out eBay's GSP rates.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks. Item has sold now as single purchase. Your idea of a split auction would have worked but as the magazines are split in to 5 boxes I wasn't sure how IOSS would have worked without having to pay 2 separate postage charges as they go by item number, as it is cheaper more boxes per single transaction than 3 boxes with 1 transaction and 2 boxes with another. So it might have made customs easier but buyer would have probably paid more on postage. But in retrospect that might have been the easiest idea to get it done.

Any idea how much the buyer would have to pay on custom handling admin fees on top of the 6% ? Would there being 5 boxes mean a higher charge even if sent under a single transaction ? I am thinking of using Parcel Hero with Parcel Force, there is a customs box there (under My Account menu then Customs) but not sure how to use it yet. 

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks Tommy. So 10 euros is the likely customs handling fee even if 5 boxes ? I would make sure the boxes go as 1 transaction via Parcel Force. 

Another poster here says printed paper is 6%, do I write "printed paper" or "magazines" or doesn't it matter ? I presume the HS code will automatically know these are 6%. 

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Although the HS code will suffice I always place a sticker "Printed Papers" at the top left hand corner of all magazines and books I send international - a belt and braces approach.  It shouldn't be necessary but doesn't do any harm and I have never had a customs problem with a package other than the odd delay.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Your customs paperwork/commercial invoice needs item sold box ticked the value description as mentioned as printed papers marking it separately is probably a good idea too. A magazine in my eyes is printed papers! You don't pay their duty or vat so I wouldnt worry too much more about those fees. Remember to put tracking against order once dispatched, so in the event there would be a problem eg buyer did not pay the duty you are still covered.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks everyone. Just another question, do I choose HS code 4901.10 as suggested by Parcel2Go or 490199 as what I think ? 4901.10 says " in single sheets whether or not folded", what does that even mean ? Every page is not joined ??

This is why I think 4901.99 looks better, as it says "whether or not in single sheets". 

Any ideas ? Thanks. 

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

@bensonbooga   I have copied my H.S. numbers below for magazines and periodicals (books are different).

I would use whichever of these is most appropriate for your magazines.  I have never had a problem with these and I sell magazines which fall into most of these categories.

UK HS CODE - 4902 : NEWSPAPERS, JOURNALS AND PERIODICALS, WHETHER OR NOT ILLUSTRATED OR CONTAINING ADVERTISING MATERIAL

4902100000                Appearing at least four times a week

4902900000                Other

4902901000                Appearing once a week

4902903000                Appearing once a month

4902909000                Other

4903000000                Children's picture, drawing or colouring books

4904000000                Music, printed or in manuscript, whether or not bound or illustrated

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks. As the magazines are old computer ones that were released monthly, I guess 4902903000 would be correct ? They are old mags, 1999 to 2015, does age matter ? Parcel2Go only seem to allow 4 numbers though in their drop down choice. Parcel2Go seem to suggest 490110. 

Also, do you ask your customers to pay customs upfront ? DDP or DDU seem to be my options as I didn't get Ebay to do it due to cost. 

Also would I choose "Sold" as the customs choice ? 

Thanks. 

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent