Royal Mail Defacing Commemorative Postage Stamps

Why do Royal Mail employees insist on scribbling biro or marker pen marks all over postage stamps on envelopes received in the mail when they have not been franked?  I collect all my postage stamps in aid of various charities and it is so annoying when I cannot pass them on.

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

"when they have not been franked?"

You answered your own question 🙂

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

OK, but I would still like the chance to be able to donate them to charity. The stamps are useless when they have ink marks scribbled over them!

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

In addition to the answers that have already been provided, another reason is that if the stamp is has clearly been scribbled on with a biro or marker pen then it is obvious to everybody that it has been used before, thus preventing people from trying to remove stamps marked in this way from their original envelopes so that they can be affixed to another envelope (whether with glue or double-sided tape) and used a second time.  Stamps are not supposed to be used more than once, so this process would prevent stamps from being used on two or more occasions, although it does also have the unfortunate effect of making them undesirable to philatelists, as creased, defaced, dirty or torn stamps are considered to be completely worthless.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I would have thought that nowadays it would be very difficult to re-use commemorative postage stamps in the ways described. 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I'm surprised that anyone is collecting stamps today. As a dubious collectable, the modern stamp outdoes the Bradex porcelain plate issued in a limited edition of 95 firing days (that's a lot of plates). Both modern stamps and collectable plates turn up at auctions and car boot sales in large "lots" and very small prices.

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent