Responsibility for lost return?

So I ordered a refurbished phone from a large seller but opened a change of mind return request. Seller then provided me with Royal Mail Tracked 48 label. However, the issue is that the max compensation from Royal Mail with this label is £100 and the value of the phone exceeds this.

So I just wanted to know if the worst happens and the returned phone is lost by Royal Mail, would I be able to get a full refund by contacting eBay. If not, is it possible for me to pay for my own postage label and use that instead of the label provided by the seller?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

If a returned item gets lost before delivery is attempted, YOU the buyer would be responsible to claim from Royal Mail 

You *can* use your own postage label BUT, you must ring eBay and get them to change the tracking number to the one on your label, or it will default to the tracking on the sellers label which will never show as dispatched 

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

"Seller then provided me with Royal Mail Tracked 48 label", then the seller is responsible as they are then they are Royal Mail customer and you are not. But you will still be responsible for posting the phone back. If then the Royal mail loose it latter it is not your problem. That’s how they all work.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Not true

If the item gets lost in the post on the way back to the seller, OP has no way to force the seller to refund 

The buyer has to prove at least "attempted delivery" to get a refund

Items lost in the post (when they are returned) are the buyers responsibility as they will not be refunded by eBay if the item gets lost 

OP will have the proof of posting slip to claim for the item from RM, provided the correct level of compensation cover (and appropriate service) has been used. 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Not True..............................

If you have proof, you posted a return there is no problem. And according to the RM the person who brought the label is the customer "Thats the seller". I had this before a few years back. And I still got a full refund from eBay as I have proof of return postage and parcel was lost in transit, but it took two weeks before is was marked as lost by RM, I sent this to eBay and 3 days latter got full refund. As for the seller they have to contract with RM and they have to get the compensation for lost item from the Royal Mail.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi af_4786, thanks for your post.

Just to clarify, if you filed a return, and the seller provided you with a returns label, then it is the seller's responsibility. If no label was provided by the seller, then it would be the buyer's responsibility.

Thank you,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got Postage related questions? Start here: