How to return a product so that seller does not claim it was not received

Hi, I have to return a product purchased on Ebay that was not as described. The seller had 'no returns accepted.' Ebay closed the return case because I opened a case with my credit card as well not knowing the implications. So my fear is that the seller will claim he did not receive the returned product and I wanted to ask what measures I should take, especially what postage I should choose. I am considering 

Royal Mail Signed For® 1st Class (Signature on delivery and next-day delivery aim).

Would this be sufficient? Would you recommend anything else?

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Most credit card cases don't require you to return the item, has yours asked you to?

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Yes, they did. They have been horrific in dealing with the case. The documentation they sent is so unclear too, but they said they need 'valid proof of return along with the date of return mentioned on it.'

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Depends on the value of the item,if its £50 or under then Royal Mail Signed For would cover you should it get lost or damaged if over this use RM Tracked 24 or 48 or Special Delivery

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Get a tracked return with signature as you will receive a number which can be entered on the RM site for any and all concerned parties to follow, providing the necessary proof of return. 

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

It's over £650 so definitely want a secure shipping option.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

You will need to use Special Delivery then for an item of that value 

For an ebay return you only need to prove "attempted delivery" so if the item is returned back to you, you still get a refund

Your CC provider may require actually delivery to be proven, so keep your receipt and screenshot of tracking showing delivery. 

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Hi, that's what I am planning to do. However, the info my bank sent includes the address, but not the name of the seller. The bank and ebay insist they cannot give me that information. Can I send special delivery (so signature required) without an actual name?

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

If eBay gave your bank the address there is no reason why they should hide behind the GDPR and not give you their name.  Your bank won't know it unless eBay tells them, so it's not them being difficult.

According to my postman son, not having a name could well cause a problem.  

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Is there anything I can do to make Ebay provide the information? I talked to 10 different agents, asked to be escalated without success and all they say is that Ebay has now stepped out since the case is in my bank's case. They even lied to me saying the bank deals directly with the seller which they don't. I received the documentation Ebay sent them.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

As I think I said earlier, having to return something in a payment dispute case is highly unusual.  Normally you get a refund without having to return the item, so I don't know what you can do.

The bizarre thing is that if this was an ebay money back guarantee case ebay would have given you the seller's details on a return label so I really don't see the issue.

dave@ebay 

Can you help?

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent