Global Shipping

I am in the UK, I sold an item the buyer is in Italy. He doesnt want to use the global shipping service, he wants to arrange for the item to be collected directly from my address after he has paid.

Does Ebay advise this course of action. Mike

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Global Shipping

It's all good if you're happy to have it collected after payment is received of course,  though if someone is picking it up,  cash now that the item has been purchased is best on collection.  Message the buyer this if it's possible for cash on collection.

After payment and collection you simply mark it as Paid and Dispatched.

Dispatched is eBay's wording for a collected item.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Global Shipping

jow1995
Conversationalist

Dont do it unless paying cash, beware of buyers from Italy, ive had problems in the past.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Global Shipping

The Italian Buyer should have contacted you regarding not wanting to use GSP you offer on your advert to see if you were okay with his idea/s.

You will be charged eBay fees at the International rate if he pays the present invoice sent to him.

Who is he thinking of sending to your home? A Registered Courier or someone he knows.

I would cancel due to problem with the address.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Global Shipping

If you’re happy to proceed with Collection in Person, make sure that the buyer selects the ‘Collect in Person’ option at checkout (assuming that you have enabled that option on that particular listing). Also ensure that the individual collecting the item – whether they be the buyer, his friend, or a courier paid for by the buyer - presents the 6-figure collection code provided by eBay when they come to collect – you scan / enter it on the app – before you part with the item.  

I wouldn’t agree to collection in person if the buyer has selected the GSP postage option at check out – I'd ask them to cancel the transaction from their end and check out again with the correct option. A genuine buyer will understand. 

Otherwise your buyer could open an ‘item not received’ case against you on eBay and obtain a refund and meanwhile you will no longer have your item.. 

We also have a standard message that I send to the buyer when they arrange for couriers to be sent saying that our liability ends when we hand the item to the courier. In particular we aren’t responsible for arranging, or paying for, any return postage in the event of an issue with the item for whatever reason. 

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Global Shipping

Cash on collection ONLY if buyer is sending someone to collect

Otherwise you lose ALL seller protection and the buyer can just claim a full refund straight after the person has collected and you cannot defend the claim

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Global Shipping

"I wouldn’t agree to collection in person if the buyer has selected the GSP postage option at check out" 

Buyers don't select Global, sellers do via their listing and after purchase it cannot be taken out of Global.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Global Shipping

Thank you. Yes, sellers have to enable GSP. We have listings which offer GSP as well as UK postage and Collect in Person options. A UK buyer can choose between 'postage' options when checking out, one of which can be Collect in Person. My post was really to caution the seller against handing over in person when a different postage method was selected by the buyer.

What I’m not sure about is whether a buyer from Italy sees that option at checkout – it sounds from what you say that they can’t..

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Global Shipping

Thanks for your help, the buyer paid via Pay Pal and the item has been dispatched thanks for your help

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent