Barcoded stamps with Queen’s head are no longer valid?

We posted a card to a relative. Today he got back to us and said that he had to pay £5 to get the card because the new, barcoded stamp with Elizabeth II on it is no longer valid. It has to be a King’s head from now on.

I can’t find this announcement anywhere on RM website. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Or was it a dodgy postal worker who got a free fiver from unsuspecting person? 

Thank you.

====================================================================
Just love Ebay
Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

More likely is that stamp was fake.

See other recent posts.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

Where did you buy your stamp from?

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Did they get a txt saying that? Normally the postie will leave a card. There's a scam txt going around saying you have to pay £5

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

The only stamps that are not valid are the non barcoded definitives with the queens head. These were withdrawn last July.

A £5 grey card  with you have a fee to pay is for either the fact that the stamp was a fake or the stamp had fallen off and that there was no postage on the item. On the cover of the envelope there would have been a yellow sticker stating what was wrong.

It would also not be a dodgy postal worker either. The grey cards are issued by the sorting office/post office and payment is only accepted online or over the counter at post office. These cards are then stamped up and sent back to the revenue teams.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent