Anyone using the Royal Mail app for Proof of Postage?

Hi

Is anyone using the Royal Mail app to collate Proof of Postage for Ebay-purchased shipping?

RM package loss claims require "evidence of posting" and I can't stand the frustration of waiting for ages at the Post Office for a Certificate of Posting receipt while someone who has rocked up with zero preparation fumbles around taking up all the counter assistant's time.

The Royal Mail delivery office is usually much quicker to drop off parcels but they don't print out proof of postage receipts.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/367/related/1

says to use the Royal Mail app.

I found the app's "Proof of postage" function has a "Show me how it works" which proceeds to do nothing of the sort! It just says "Follow the steps to add proof of postage" but then nothing else.

Then I tried to do it for real with postage bought via Ebay. I tried to scan the "Royal Mail QR code" sent by Ebay but the app says it's not recognised. However the QR code does appear distorted through the app  (the square code becomes distinctly rectangular). So I tried scanning it with my normal camera app and that managed to translate it OK (but of course that is no good for the Royal Mail app).

Anyone have a clue as to how this is supposed to work?

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

We use a drop and go account so you can goto your post office drop your parcels off and leave. Royal Mail will accept electronic proof eg from your drop and go account on line in the event of any claim but also our PO are very good and print them manually and keep them in a file for us to collect ad hoc.

Your online account for large letters above 100gms the 16 digit or if its been sent as a special so you can copy the data on to your ebay account for the relevant buyer.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Tx, yes I tried DnG a while back but my local PO closed temporarily and then when they reopened they'd ceased to offer the service. I recall it was rather an involved paper-based process as an occasional sender, having to fill out a manifest form and then having to remember to (queue to) collect the Proof of Postage receipts every month.

I was hoping the Royal Mail app could do all that online with no more scraps of paper to manage.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dng/purchase-history

says that Dop and Go PoP is not available online.

Ebay automatically sort out all the tracking info if you purchase postage through them (and they often have promos on various services).

I'll see what the RM office says about the app tomorrow.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Update - at the Royal Mail Delivery Office I tried out the RM app on the QR code label once they'd printed it out. The image was very blurry at first but it focused after I tapped on the image and then the app translated it into a Proof of Postage doc which I could then save. Great, no more receipts to handle!

Thinking about it, I think the "Royal Mail QR code" "Delivery Label" that Ebay sent looked larger to the one that RM printed out for the actual parcel label, and so it makes sense that it is the only one that the RM app will scan.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent