Additional cost of sending low value item by tracked service to the Ebay GSP

I'm not sure if listings default to International included but this is my story. I sold an item of low value < £5 and was then surprised to see the buyer was from Spain. I quote post-free as it is a standard letter @ 75p. However, Ebay say that it must be sent by tracked service to the GSP otherwise I could be vulnerable to an I.N.R. and negativity. The RM postage cost me £2.25 so you can see what a waste of time that sale was. So I guess if you want to sell internationally be wary of listing anything as free postage unless the value of the item would cover these additional costs. For future reference I have cancelled off the International option now for anything low value. If I was to apply the tracked postage in the listing it would put off UK buyers.

If anyone says just to send it untracked and take the risk then I would say that is unprofessional and roes not fully address the problem.

In conclusion, the tracking cost to the GSP has the potential to be an extra burden and can be lowering the net proceeds of sale so check your listings and quoted postage for this eventuality.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Indeed Global is not really the best for low value items as it's exorbitant for buyers, example -

Your £2.99 pin badge has Global charges to Eire of over £14, so they make more than you do as a seller.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

It would be good if there was a way to require a minimum order value for GSP orders so customers can't order one £3.50 item but could order, say, three for £10.50 if you set the threshold to £10.

It doesn't make sense that you have to use tracked postage to eBay to get cover - they know they've received it. I think it's just a way for them to shirk responsibility if they lose the item at any stage after they've received it.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent