Tracking/Proof of postage

I have not sold anything on e-bay for some considerable time now and previousaly used to send items with proof of postage. I am being advised that e-bay now require a tracking number. I've just been to the post office and asked to post with tracking however with the increased potage costs due to the tracking it's not worth selling the item as I had listed with free postage. I'm sure I've got this wrong somehow. What do e-bay require to proove delivery as I'm unclear with this? Thank you for any assistance.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think I'll just send through Royal Mail. Thank you for all your help. Very much appreciated. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

tobiasd4
Experienced Mentor

You don't have to use tracked postage, but if buyer claims item not received,  you always have to refund. 

If you send as RM parcel, receipt contains 16 digit reference, which acts as tracking number, no extra fee for this.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Thank you so much for reply. So if I send this royal mail as I intended 2nd class proof of postage, I can then use the 16 digit for e-bay? I then break even. Could I trouble you further as to what is the QR code for and is it needed? Much appreciated.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Always add reference/tracking number to ebay when marking as posted, that way buyer and ebay can see it. 

If you buy postage through packlink, it automatically adds reference number.

QR code is used when taking item to PO so they can print off postage label.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Hi I've looked up packlink and I'm still not sure? Is it via e-bay and then take to post office? Is it cheaper than e-bay? Really appreciate your insight and advise.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

The problem with packlink is they are only a 3rd party booking agent with limited compensation and you claim from them not the carrier.

IMO. Better to buy direct from PO or RM website or other carrier website.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

I think I'll just send through Royal Mail. Thank you for all your help. Very much appreciated. Thank you.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

You mention "break even" but offer free P & P.

Whether you use Free or quote a price, remember it is POST AND PACKING and thst ebay selling fee is calculated on sale price plus postage, it is up to you to take fees into account when deciding sale price and/or postage cost.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Not sure what you mean here? It is now free to list clothes? I offered free postage and packaging so I would assume no costs from e-bay there? I purchased an item of clothing in error and it was too late to return it. So I decided to sell it on e-bay with the aim of just recouperating the cost of the top. No profit and no loss for me and my buyer saved money as no postage from the original designer, who I purchased it from. Am I wrong? I'm not a business and just wanted to recouperate my initial costs? I'd appreciate your insight as I am a returning private seller to e-bay and the new system is just that, ie unfamiliar.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent