My payment is on hold. The item was collected 5 days ago. How do i get my money?

I sold an item and it was collected 5 days ago. The buyer used my email address to pay me, I didn't request this form of payment, now my money is on hold. I've lost near £100 in fees and still no money in my account 5 days later. Help.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

My payment is on hold. The item was collected 5 days ago. How do i get my money?

How did buyer get your email address? It sounds to me as though you have been conned, and there is no payment.

Collection items should be paid in Cash on Collection, or paid through the methods shown on all listings which are the only ones acceptable to ebay.

Unless money is paid the correct way it will  not get to ebay, so cannot be on hold with ebay.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Adding to the advice already given -

Is this regarding the Fiat Seicento you sold on April 14th?

You had this car listed under 'collectables flags' and no matter what the story is there's no protection for vehicles on eBay.

Perhaps speak to CAB, give them all the facts, to see if they could advise?

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Hi, I have a screen shot of the buyers bank account showing the payment, also photo of the buyers driving licence, with address etc, all seemed genuine. Also have the QR code for payment. Some articles say can keep payments on hold for 30 days, others say funds released up to 4-5 working days?? At a loss 

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

You have made this confusing by listing in the wrong category which means the buyer could have paid through ebay, if they did ebay would have told you they paid and that the money is on hold.  It will be released in accordance with the payment hold policy.

Any other payments not made through checkout will not be held and if the buyer did a bank transfer it will be in your bank account. 

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

I am confused. What differnce does the category make, if its sold it needs paying. No matter the category? 

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

"The buyer used my email address to pay me"

Please explain exactly what you mean by this as it points to a payment outside eBay.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

@micjackso4 wrote:

I am confused. What differnce does the category make, if its sold it needs paying. No matter the category? 

The difference is that it's against eBay policy to list in the incorrect category, perhaps you thought that you couild save the £14.99 listing fee that it costs to correctly list in the Motors category, but you haven't factored in that eBay final value fees in the Motors category are 1% up to a maximum fee payable of £45, whilst the category you've listed in will land you with a 13% fee. 

So, the category matters.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Look in Payments

This will tell you if the money is there in your Ebay account and also tell you if the money is available for you to withdraw.

If there is a hold on the money, there should be a date when it is available for you to withdraw.

As you have asked, it is really important that you list in the right category - Ebay only allow you to list cars in the Motors category.   if you had listed it correctly, the fees would have been between £14.99 and £19.99, as long as you didn't use any optional upgrades, so you have paid a lot more in fees than you needed to.

Details for listing a vehicle here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/selling/selling-vehicles-parts-accessories?id=4647&st=3&pos=2&qu...

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

@micjackso4 wrote:

Another fee that is different if you list incorrectly outside the Motors category is the Reserve fee - you listed your car 3 times with a Reserve which will cost you 4% of whatever price you set, this is payable for each listing.

In the Motors category it's a one off fee of £9.99 for adding a Reserve, no matter what price you set. 

However, if you start the auction price at the lowest you'd be happy to accept then this effectively acts the exact same as a reserve feature in that your item can't sell for below the auction start price. 

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent