Item delivered to an address identical to mine but 30 miles away

Hi all hoping for some guidance on an unusual INR. 

I've been ebaying over 20 years and never come across this.

I bought a charm for my daughter's bracelet, days later I got an 'item delivered' message from ebay. The item had not been delivered. The seller provided details of the label she used and the address was correct; I tracked the item which was sent 1st Class so did not have fully tracked details, but the info there was that the item was delivered from the Brackley Delivery Office. Long story short, in Brackley there is an address 100 percent identical to mine, except for the County and Postcode. I can only imagine it was selected ahead of mine alphabetically in a 'select your address' autofill form or similar.

This (Business) seller will not re-send this item to me and suggested I open an INR case, which I had to contact ebay about as, of course, the item shows delivered. Although it's no fault of the seller, I do believe there is an obligation to get the correct goods to me and she should re-send and take it up with Royal Mail?

There is no full tracking only the office that delivered the item. Will ebay investigate this, or will I automatically lose due to the tracking showing delivered? The item is not that expensive but still, I would like the money back as I have had to buy another item as a gift to replace it.

If anyone could opine any useful info as to where I stand I would be very grateful.

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

Contact ROYAL MAIL CUSTOMER SERVICE - FREEPOST - PLYMOUTH [by letter of course] and make one almighty fuss.

Do be aware that they tend to answer the first contact by a standard letter based on what they "wished you had asked" so you usually need two goes at them

@goldendeliciouss5 

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

Your post is a bit confusing regarding tracking.

When you enter the tracking into the Royal Mail website, what does it actually say?  If it states the item is delivered, and gives a date, but there is no GPS or map then Ebay will accept that it has been delivered and, without evidence from GPS, will assume it has been delivered to you.  If it does not show as delivered, then you would be able to open and win an 'item not delivered' claim.

If the item is showing as delivered, and you believe it has been delivered to a similar address to yours because of the delivery office, I would ring Royal Mail on their free Customer Services number.  Expect a long wait, but they are usually very helpful when you do get through.

They can supply written proof of mis-delivery.

If RM confirm your item was mis-delivered, my next step would be to contact my payment provider on the grounds that I had purchased an item online and not received it.

With any luck, the recipient may return it to the sender, or put it back in the post anyway.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Hi thanks for your reply,

When I enter tracking, it specifies a date and time says 'Delievered by BRACKLEY delivery office' That's it.  

I don't live in Brackley.

I don't see how ebay can ignore that.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

Ebay will see that the item has been delivered.

Contact Royal Mail who will understand that Brackley would not deliver to you.  An Ebay Customer Services person, working from home in the Philippines, will not realise why Brackley would not deliver to your address.

If you have confirmation of mis-delivery, then Ebay or your payment provider will be more likely to help with a claim.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

Thanks, good point re location of likely customer services operative.

Royal Mail are hopefully sending me proof of mis-delivery, I am just hoping they can do this before the 22nd April when I have the option to step in and ask for help. Can't remember if this can be ignored for a while or if they close the case automatically if I don't respond. I really thought as a business seller who knows I did not get the goods, she should replace the item. It seems rather sly hoping the case will be closed and she may also retrieve her item from a return to sender of be forwarded by RM.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Just in case anyone else has a similar situation, the resolution was that I rang Royal Mail and they were very helpful and proactive, and retrieved my parcel and forwarded to me via 24hr service. I therefore was able to close the case.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

That is good news.

I always suggest ringing Royal Mail.

They can take a very long time to answer but if you are prepared to wait, they are generally very helpful.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent