How do I protect myself from this buyer possibly scamming me?

I could really use some input on whether this buyer sounds legitimate or not. Here's the facts:

1. I'm selling a large item of furniture for £250 that is listed as 'collection in person' and 'cash only'.
  2. A very new buyer (member since 6th April 2024)  messaged, first asking for dimensions.
  3. 3 hours later they said they're interested and asked whether I could arrange delivery 40 miles away.
  4. I said 'I'll look into it' and asked if they would want to see the furniture before committing.
  5. They said 'no', explaining it is for their daughter who is busy moving, so can't come to view.
  6. I came back 36 hours later and said I couldn't find anyone to deliver that far and suggested they if they can sort themselves I would consider reducing the price.
  7. They responded a couple of times saying they'd look into it.
  8. 11 hours later they said they had a quote from AnyVan.com of £98, gave possible collection dates and also asked if I could reduce the price to £200.
  9. I've since said I'll take £220, given a collection day and am waiting for a response.
  10. I've also trawled eBay's help section to get clarification on a few things, but am unable to speak with a person directly, leaving me unconfident in eBay's 'protection' for sellers.

With all of this in mind I'm really uncertain about whether this is a scam or not. The new account and them not coming to view the furniture are red flags for me, but concerns about dimensions and them haggling make it seem legitimate.

I don't want to exclude someone based on my cynicism alone, but I also want to protect myself from possible chargebacks, or some other trick the buyer uses to reclaim their funds. I really can't afford to be ripped off... Any advice/opinions?

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

If they are paying cash on collection and using a courier chosen by themselves, therefore a ' third party' so by not coming,  they exclude all buyer protection from eBay's 30 day MBG,  Money Back Guarantee policy.

One thing I do recommend if the courier doesn't bring a QR code for you to scan,  it's not mandatory so don't worry if they don't,  then print off a copy of the order details,  date it and have the courier name and sign is as the item  being collected.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Will the payment be cash on collection?

If so, nothing can go wrong.

If it's a payment via eBay then whilst the buyer isn't covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee they can issue a not as described chargeback via their card provider and get their money back (and likely get to keep the item). 

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent