How can I get ebay to get a human to look at a stolen item report?

Hi

I recently purchased a laptop on here, when I got it the device was attached to a companies domain meaning I couldn't use it.

I contacted the company in question, who put me in touch with thier head of IT. after providing him with the details of the device (serial number, service tag, model etc...) he confirmed it was in fact stolen from an employee in December 2023.

Of course it's against ebays policy to sell stolen items on the platform so I made a report. I provided the email chain with the companies head of IT as evidence.

I've had a decision on the report by ebay that says the item doesn't break thier policies and that the decision was made by automation or AI.

There's no way to appeal this, so am I just to belive that ebay will allow this seller to sell stolen property on the site just because AI says it's ok?

If any actual ebay humans are looking at this the report reference is: 2-176891770643

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

How long ago did you purchase it?

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

according to the neg you left you purchased on Fen 8th so you are well out of time for an eBay case.

normally the advice would be for you to open a PayPal not as described case or contact your payment provider - however as you are in possession of stolen goods the law is different and one would expect the proper owners to deal with matters through the police report they originally made.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Contact eBay in the morning (they open at 8.000am) and let them know that their AI has given out incorrect advice here regarding the sale of a stolen item.

I’ve found that the easiest route to contact eBay Customer Services is via the link below, you can select to talk with them via live chat or request a call back:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

It would have helped so much to tell us that you bough this on 8th February.

Terms like "recently" mean nothing on eBay. The critical date is the date of delivery as eBay's money back guarantee lasts for just 30 days from that date. They will have no interest now, but will assist the police if contacted by them.

How did you pay? If by PayPal it should be covered by their 180 day buyer protection policy. If by credit or debit card you need to consult your card issuer.

You need to explain that you have been informed that the item was allegedly stolen, as this may determine whether you have to return the item to the seller to get a refund. Unless you have a crime number my guess is that you will.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

It is too late to report this particular item.  Ebay can act when items that are currently for sale are reported as stolen if there is evidence to support this.

The seller may have bought the laptop legitimately, as you yourseld did.  You could report this to the police but, I feel, they are unlikely to investigate the sale of a single low cost item from a small scale Ebay seller.  Ebay will not remove the seller for 'inadvertently' (innocent until proven guilty) selling a single stolen item.

You said you contacted the original owner.

Your feedback suggests that the company allowed you to keep and use the laptop (They took pity and sorted it out).  If that is the case, then, in my opinion, you should accept that you have inadvertently bought a stolen item but have had a positive result.  In law, the person currently in possession of a stolen item is not the owner.  So, if you have a working laptop, then you have not lost anything.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent