Ebay Authenticity Guarantee

Hello, 

I purchased a 9ct gold bracelet through ebay authentication service and everything goes smoothly.  A month later I sell the same bracelet through ebay authenticity guarantee and the authentication team fail the inspection on the bracelet not having a uk hallmark and return it back to me.

The bracelet cleary has makers mark, 375, rose/crown for the sheffield assay office with date letter u and the hallmark was never a problem when I purchased the bracelet. Now I have to refund the money when this is a clear error with the authenticators?

Two weeks before I sell a 9ct gold Bulldog Pendant with a anchor hallmark for Birmingham and this is also failed by the authentication team. It has cost two sets of postage and refunds. Very frustrating and wondering what steps to take. Pictures of both hallmarks as proof is attached 

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

red_magpie
Experienced Mentor

It's unlikely that you can appeal the decision of the authenticators for the bracelet you sold. eBay probably won't discuss this and as the seller you have to accept their decision.

However, if the bracelet can be proved to be the one you bought, and was passed by the authenticators, you should have some right to complain. Unfortunately I don't know how or whether you can get eBay to look into this. You can contact customer support, but being cynical don't be surprised if they won't discuss it, find something in the small print to deny responsibility, make you promises to get you off the line or simply say that as the transaction was 30 days ago they have no further involvement.

Good luck, but in your position I would start by getting the item independently checked when you get it back. Then you can decide whether to try to resolve it with eBay, or just save yourself the hassle and sell it elsewhere.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I had a conversation with ebay as soon as they failed the item. I gave the ebay operator the item numbers for when I purchased the bracelet and sold the same bracelet. He said I would get a call back today and he would look into this which never happened. I've had many years experience with gold and I can't understand why they failing items based on it having uk hallmarks which they clearly don't understand. I have attached a picture of the first gold pendant they failed. It has an achor in for Birmingham which is the most basic and common uk hallmark there is.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent